I've been searchbar'ing and google'ing promoters all night and i can't seem to find any information about it.
How can i find a promoter/agent to book gigs for my band?
Quote by stephen_rettie
Dont they usually find you? have you played many gigs?

About 12 or so. We have 8 completed original songs and a huge arsenal of covers and usually draw in about 100 people per show.

What i'm trying to find is one of those promoters who you pay and they get you gigs and stuff.

Would one of those be able to get you opening slots for serious bands like live nation acts?
100 people per show after 12 gigs eh?

Well gee whiz, that's better than most bands do in a year.

Are you an original band or a cover band? If you're an original band you don't have enough music to play a 1 hour set. If you're a cover band you won't be able to open for those serious bands. You should decide which one your band is before seeking out a promoter. There should be managers in your area, but it is probably too early in your career to warrant paying one. Record a demo, hand it out to places. Promote yourself.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
100 people per show after 12 gigs eh?

Well gee whiz, that's better than most bands do in a year.

Are you an original band or a cover band? If you're an original band you don't have enough music to play a 1 hour set. If you're a cover band you won't be able to open for those serious bands. You should decide which one your band is before seeking out a promoter. There should be managers in your area, but it is probably too early in your career to warrant paying one. Record a demo, hand it out to places. Promote yourself.

Original band, and thrash metal songs tend to be lengthy so our 8 songs take up about an hour. And we know dozens of covers so sometimes we throw one in to mix things up.

We have no problem playing the "unsigned' venues in the area, what we want is to open up for serious bands signed to major labels. I know one local band has opened up for yngwie and testament, but they won't tell us how they did it.

After all, we can't just walk into hammerstein ballroom or nokia theater and say "listen brah, we wanna open for megadeth"
Identify what makes that band different from you. Do they have a larger, more reliable following? Do they have an album out? Do they relentlessly promote themselves? Are they hooked into the music scene, networking with those in positions of power in the industry?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Identify what makes that band different from you. Do they have a larger, more reliable following? Do they have an album out? Do they relentlessly promote themselves? Are they hooked into the music scene, networking with those in positions of power in the industry?

They just know a guy who books gigs for them and they won't share him with us!
As a general rule, promoters promote shows. Managers manage bands - everything from giving career advice to booking shows, to doing all the banking and paperwork. Booking agents book bands.

Managers and agents work for the band. They typically charge a %age.

Promoters work either for the venue or as an outside third-party entity by itself.

So, it sounds like you're looking for a manager or an agent.

In response to the 'why pay someone to do it if you can do it yourself' question - If the band is busy enough, you get to a point where you have to decide whether to work on the music or work on the business. At that point, you need a manager or an agent.

Now, to get a good one, there is a cycle involved. The best managers are the ones who have the best connections. A world-reknowned manager once said, "A manager is only as good as his Rolodex." Problem is... *everyone* wants to work with them! You need to convince them that you're worth working with. You're clearly not ready for that level of competition.

But the good news is, you can work towards it. Find someone who is enthusiastic who knows a few people and offer to pay them 15% (essentially the 'going rate') of everything they bring in. If he does squat, you pay him nothing. If he gets you three great shows at $400 a show, then you pay him his $180. The person with the connections can set that up in a few phone calls. The person without the connections will have to work like a dog to get that.

That friend's band you're talking about... if you know the right person who can make the right phone call, it is dead easy.

About opening for recording acts.... here is something I posted a while back:

Here's roughly how the opening band routine works:

1. Big Big Bands:

One of two things typically happens. A) The label sets up the tour. The label wants the best bang for their buck, so it is a good business move for them to put another band on the same label as the opener. This exposes another one of their artists to a larger audience, thus making everyone more money. B) The concert or tour is set up by an outside (usually corporate) promoter. They'll just pick two bands that they figure they can get the best price for and make the most money off of. It doesn't matter if they're label mates or not, but Blink 182 and Weezer will draw a much bigger crowd than Blink 182 and your band. A much bigger enough crowd that they'll be able to pay Weezer and still have money left over.

Sometimes, if you're like Madonna or U2 or the Stones or something, you can call the shots and pick your own damned opening band. They come back to the label or the corporate promoter with "you don't like it, then we won't tour. Your loss." And the label sucks it up and says, "oh, okay."

2. Semi big bands: (the ones who play theaters, large clubs, etc., or open for the big big bands)

This often goes as above, only on a smaller scale. Same idea, though.

3. Popular indie bands, or major-label bands (former major label bands) that are on the downward slope of their careers. These bands play mid-sized clubs, or open for the semi-big bands.

These bands either have no say in who opens for them (label says, "you're lucky we're even putting you on tour and keeping you around") or have all the say in the world. (we're not tied to a label, so we call the shots.) In that case, they'll choose who they know about and who they like. Sometimes, they'll leave it up to the promoter to book a local act who they know will help draw a crowd in. These bands often don't draw great crowds on their own, but if they can be hooked up with a good local draw, then you could have a really good show. You might want to contact the promoter (usually the person who books all the other bands at that club) to find out who has the say in the opening act. This is how we got asked to open for 54-40, Helix and Dave Rave.

This is also the point where you can start contacting the bands themselves and asking them. If you can sell yourself (ie. you'll draw a bigger crowd [they might have a guaranteed fee, so be careful about promising them more money] if you have us open for you because.... kind of thing.)

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
So, it sounds like you're looking for a manager or an agent.

In response to the 'why pay someone to do it if you can do it yourself' question - If the band is busy enough, you get to a point where you have to decide whether to work on the music or work on the business. At that point, you need a manager or an agent.
CT

Important point - don't take on a booking agent or manager who wants to work for a flat fee. From what I've seen of guys working locally they're mostly rip-off merchants who prey on naive bands, don't give a damn about the music, book you on a few crappy showcases and take your money for it.

If they've got any real interest and faith in the band, they'll do it for a percentage anywhere between 5% and 30%. 15% is about the norm at the moment.
Quote by Northernmight
What genre do you play?

Thrash metal.

Quote by axemanchris
Find someone who is enthusiastic who knows a few people and offer to pay them 15%

That was a lot of good information but you left out the most important thing. How do i find one!? Is there a special term i should be google'ing or looking up in the yellow pages or something?
Generally, only the bigger managers/agencies will advertise in the Yellow Pages or whatever - if at all. They don't need to. They're busy enough wading through the piles of crap bands petitioning them to work with them based on word of mouth alone.

The key here is networking. Find other bands and talk to those who have representation. Who is happy, and who isn't? Get a recommendation that way.

If you can't *find* any other bands who have outside representation, then you're not traveling in those circles. If you're not traveling in those circles yet, you're probably not ready.

Unless you can talk a friend/family member/neighbour to help you out.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Oh, alright. Don't know much about the Thrash underground really. If you played Black Metal i could've probably hooked you up. By the way, i do not know if it is the same for Thrash, but i think it's just the underground in general - There are some really GOOD and helpfull promoters, managers, bookers, and so on out there, that does everything you need FOR FREE.

Yes, i happen to know quite a few of them in the Black Metal underground, i bet if you dig deep enough there will be something for your genre too. There are some brilliant individuals out there, spending hours and hours everyday helping bands, all for free. Out of pure passion for the music and the underground. As one of them said "If you are offering to HELP a band, you should not take money for it. You should help because you want to help"

Anyway, good luck with it all, try getting in touch with the Thrash underground, there gotta be one i bet, and connect with some people and so on, might take a little time, but it is worth it. Find the people that will help you out of passion. Become a part of it yourself.

That's basically dedication to your music i suppose.

Anyway. g'luck and g'night!
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!