I've been playing bass for 3 months now, and lately i've been starting to play Metallica's songs. The ones Cliff wrote(most of them) are obviously meant to be played with wah wah/distortion, and i was wondering if i should buy a pedal allready, or should i practice some more before i do? I also really like the effects you can achieve with various pedals.

I was planning to spend around 60-80€ (80-115$) for my first, enough for a decent beginner pedal? And if, what sort of, since i don't really know much about them yet.

Currently plaing with Ibanez GSR200, 2009 model(new strings this week too) and Peavey MAX112 combo.
I don't think you need to 'practice' more in order to get an overdrive/distortion pedal.

Just remember that overdrive generally accentuates sloppiness
signature
Quote by CoreysMonster
you know why rabbits are smarter than cows?

fucking cows start moo-ing around for no reason, but rabbits keep their mouth shut until they actually have something to say.

god I hate cows.
If you maintain a practice schedule then effects should be fine, just don't let yourself get sloppy.

I'd recommend the bass big muff pi (one of the links above) good bang for the buck and I love mine
no sig for joo
the bass big muff is amazing
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
I'll have to see what my local music store has to offer, it's pretty limited. Otherwise i have to order it from other city.
I have a Bad Monkey and I love it to bits, it's great for anything from mild OD to near-fuzz.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

For a Muffish fuzz, I use the Supercollider (if you want a link to the place to get one, just ask me) and I use a Fulltone bass drive for a overdrive.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
No such thing as beginner pedals, just good and bad ones. If you stick with EHX, Boss and MXR you'll be fine. All their pedals have reviews on youtube, make sure you like the sound bewore you buy them.
Get an EBS valvedrive for overdrive. Maybe an el grande for fuzz.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Casketcreep
Personally I think alot of Cliffs lines don't warrant fuzz or distortion at all.

I like using overdrive instead.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
On my Zoom B2.1u I got a nice ODB-3 sound, with a wah on the pedal, which worked great for anaesthesia; but you can turn down the effects, or use a different fuzz or distortion module for his other stuff, and get loads of other effects, a tuner and a DI out.
On Emma Watson:

Quote by rabidguitarist
You should call her a filthy mudblood while you're fucking her.
Try the Ashdown James LoMenzo Hypderdrive for an awesome sounding over drive
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I'll hit the local shop tomorrow to see what they have to offer. I'll post results then.

And small question i don't want to make it's own thread: today i finally received the Rotosound 45-105 strings i ordered 2,5 weeks ago, but i screwed up right at the start, i cut the E-string too short, and it's only about 1,5 string wraps around the post. Is it enough? I hope it is, because i don't want to buy whole set for 1 string.
Yes thats plenty
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Yeah that's fine.
I don't think I have ever cut anything off a bass string... I just wrap it around a few times.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Casketcreep
Personally I think alot of Cliffs lines don't warrant fuzz or distortion at all.

Valve Drive isn't worth the price tag imo, doesn't even sound like there's a valve in it.

I love my MXR M-80 for distortion.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by sammcl-15
Valve Drive isn't worth the price tag imo, doesn't even sound like there's a valve in it.

I love my MXR M-80 for distortion.

I think the vlave is there for looks, theres leds that light it up. But i like what it does, good honest overdrive grrr.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Metallica usually sounds really nice with a treble boost, boosted gain, and some quality fingering.

I might add I find the Bass muff is a good deal for cliffin it up.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
do it.
It would make you want to practice more.
The good times are killing me.

Quote by UG TinyChat
meelad: I know this guy "entity0009" and "mike50227"
meelad: They're the best people there

Above Divine
buy a power supplie while you are there, pedals are a bugger when u dont use a power supplie
Fender: Aerodyne Precision Bass
Squier: Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

BOSS: TU-2
BOSS: ODB-3
Jim Dunlop: Bass Wah Wah
Electro Harmonix: The Mole
Electro Harmonix: Bass Big Muff
Behringer: Bass Limiter Enchancer

Hartke: Kickback 12
Well the selection was mainly Boss, but they were for electric guitars. And for some reason i didn't ask the store keepers if they had bass pedals. Might go there again someday, unless i order from other store.

Is this the Big Muff you were talking about? I could order it from other place if it's a good one.

And is there a difference between that and this?
Last edited by DSM at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by DSM
Well the selection was mainly Boss, but they were for electric guitars. And for some reason i didn't ask the store keepers if they had bass pedals. Might go there again someday, unless i order from other store.

Is this the Big Muff you were talking about? I could order it from other place if it's a good one.

And is there a difference between that and this?

One is for guitar, one is for bass. The guitar one tends to cut low end a fair bit.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Spaz91
No such thing as beginner pedals, just good and bad ones. If you stick with EHX, Boss and MXR you'll be fine. All their pedals have reviews on youtube, make sure you like the sound bewore you buy them.

In a sense there are some kind of beginner pedals. I own a Fab Metal pedal it cost 40 bucks. Its not a beginner pedal but it will get you started. Fab pedals have every single effect just under 40 bucks. Danelectro makes them. Cheap yet very reliable.