Simple question, I want to replace the pickups in my strat. What are the best pickups for blues?

All single coil ... FYI
Main Gear:
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe (Modded)
Fender MIM Strat
Ibanez Acoustic
Vox VR15

Saving For:
Peavey Classic 30
Budget? Influences?
My Signal Chain:

Gibson 1974 Les Paul Custom
Vox AC-30 cc2 combo
JAM Pedals Tubedreamer +

Nigel will always be 1 louder than you!
Quote by stykerwolf
Didn't almost every blues guitarist use the standard strat pickups?
If not, check out the Lenny pickups for your strat.

I don't think Hendrix counts as almost every blues guitarist.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
want to go boutique quality?
kinman blues set
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
dimarzio blue velvet or true velvet or area 58/61
fender cs69's or 54's or texas specials (for srv)
kinman avn blues or woodstock

theres lots out there!

(my cs69's arrived today )
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Kinman. No question or doubt.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Wait until you get a new amp first.
Your stock pickups will work fine.

Then, once acquainted with your new amp, listen to what your sound is, and where you want to get your sound, and THEN look for pickups to help get closer to your desired sound.

I mean, you won't know if you want low output, or highout pups, need more bass or treble? More warmth?
You won't know which you want until you have the rest your rig set up FIRST.

Remember, pickups should always come last as the ultimate 'fine tune' for your sound. Well, IMO anyway.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius

Then, once acquainted with your new amp, listen to what your sound is, and where you want to get your sound, and THEN look for pickups to help get closer to your desired sound.

I mean, you won't know if you want low output, or highout pups, need more bass or treble? More warmth?

Remember, pickups should always come last as the ultimate 'fine tune' for your sound. Well, IMO anyway.

TS. dont listen to this idiot. thats why i dont put my gear in my sig. come on here to ask a simple question and theres *always* some retard that ignores your question, scopes your gear, then tries to tell you crap about buying a better amp first.

so, to answer your question. the sultans, from bkp, are the best sc blues pups IMO. they are a little more expensive, but hand-wound and very much worth the price.
Quote by xtheclincherx
TS. dont listen to this idiot. thats why i dont put my gear in my sig. come on here to ask a simple question and theres *always* some retard that ignores your question, scopes your gear, then tries to tell you crap about buying a better amp first.

so, to answer your question. the sultans, from bkp, are the best sc blues pups IMO. they are a little more expensive, but hand-wound and very much worth the price.

You're entitled to your opinion, but flaming someone to get your point across is against the rules.

Replacing your amp before spending a lot of money on pickups is sound advice. Through a mediocre amp, you're not going to see a huge improvement in tone by changing pickups.

That said, if you must have new pickups, it depends on your budget, but I'd be looking at boutique quality pickups like Lindy Fralin pickups or Rock Monkey Guitars pickups.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by xtheclincherx

TS. Don't listen to this idiot.

He already said he is saving for an Orange Rocker 30.
He should wait until he gets that amp, and knows what parts of his sound need improving, and base his pickup choice around that.
Don't blindly buy pickups just for the brand name and that they 'sound good'.
Sure, they may sound good, but do they give the exact sound you want?
What if he doesn't want Alnico II pups? What if he wants a hotter pickup?

The stock pickups will work great, even when he gets his new amp. He may even like the tone of stock pups with the new amp.

I was answering his question - he wants new pups. I told him to wait until he gets his amp so he can accurately find which pups he may require.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Aug 4, 2009,
Quote by xtheclincherx

Don't listen to this.

We tell you to wait until you get a new amp because with a mediocore amp, the sound will not justify 200 bucks you just forked out.

Some people are under the impression that pickups drastically change your tone. IMO pickups fine tune what you have already. If your playing an mg, and you upgrade your pickups, you'll still have an mg sound.

It is what it is, advice, you don't have to take it. I once asked UG what pickup has the most gain, so I could play metal on my 60's tube amp. Not happening, I needed a new amp, I ignored UG, and lets just say pickups didn't really do much, gave me a clearer tone with more treble, but if didn't give me metal. I bought a XXX, and now, I really notice the difference with pickups, but only things like, lack of bass, high treble, muddy pickups, etc. The sound is the mostly the amp.

So... with that being said, when you get your new amp, then ask yourself, "What don't I like about my tone?" Then look for pickups.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
Don't listen to this.

We tell you to wait until you get a new amp because with a mediocore amp, the sound will not justify 200 bucks you just forked out.

Some people are under the impression that pickups drastically change your tone. IMO pickups fine tune what you have already. If your playing an mg, and you upgrade your pickups, you'll still have an mg sound.

It is what it is, advice, you don't have to take it. I once asked UG what pickup has the most gain, so I could play metal on my 60's tube amp. Not happening, I needed a new amp, I ignored UG, and lets just say pickups didn't really do much, gave me a clearer tone with more treble, but if didn't give me metal. I bought a XXX, and now, I really notice the difference with pickups, but only things like, lack of bass, high treble, muddy pickups, etc. The sound is the mostly the amp.

So... with that being said, when you get your new amp, then ask yourself, "What don't I like about my tone?" Then look for pickups.

Thanks for backing up what I said [with some nice examples]
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Haha, sorry to see that I've caused some conflict, I appreciate the suggestions both for pickups and to save for a better amp. Due to some financial mishaps and some donations I made in Las Vegas, I'm doubting I'll have the funds for an orange amp anytime soon. I think however, I'm leaning towards a Peavey Classic 30 in the near future.

I'll check out some of the PUP examples you've given me thus far, I appreciate it!
Main Gear:
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe (Modded)
Fender MIM Strat
Ibanez Acoustic
Vox VR15

Saving For:
Peavey Classic 30
Quote by hendricks.89
Haha, sorry to see that I've caused some conflict, I appreciate the suggestions both for pickups and to save for a better amp. Due to some financial mishaps and some donations I made in Las Vegas, I'm doubting I'll have the funds for an orange amp anytime soon. I think however, I'm leaning towards a Peavey Classic 30 in the near future.

I'll check out some of the PUP examples you've given me thus far, I appreciate it!

Just remember that different magnets have different outputs, so it really depends on what sound you're looking for.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by hendricks.89

Quick thing on teh amp tip: I have a Crate V33H. Same tube compliment as the AD30HTC. It can get some great tones, and easily into Vox and Orange territory.

As far as pickups- for me, changing pickups is like changing tubes. Unless you're going for a completely different type (like singles to humbuckers), all you're doing is fine-tuning your tone. You might be able to get the same difference with new pickups as you would if you were to switch all the wiring and pots on your guitar. My .02
Quote by Simsimius

i agree.

Quote by xtheclincherx

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
wow. we have some really old and simple-minded people on this site.

they have developed some new technology in the last 20 years. yeah, you can actually write, record, edit, and publish original music, without having an ZOMG! 40w brootal tube amp.

the kid asked for advice on pickups. so immediately everyone makes assumptions about his setup, goals, and application. instead of choosing to offer relevant advice *about pickups*, you guys think that since *you* would prefer investing in an amp before upgrading pickups, that *he* has to do the exact same thing. this happens in every thread though. simpletons that dont realize you can improve your sound for digital recording by changing pickups, regardless of your amp. especially if you are using protools, mbox, cakewalk, or even line 6's little modeling toys.

not everyone has the same desire to play local slum dive clubs.
simply answer the questions, if you dont have any relevant advice about pickups, why clutter the board with your geriatric advice? lol its 2009.

Quote by TNfootballfan62
You're entitled to your opinion, but flaming someone to get your point across is against the rules.

lol awww. dont be upset mr blue. i know its going to be a tough season with lane kiffin and all, but december, and another losing season will be over before you know it. =o)
Quote by xtheclincherx
wow. we have some really old and simple-minded people on this site.

they have developed some new technology in the last 20 years. yeah, you can actually write, record, edit, and publish original music, without having an ZOMG! 40w brootal tube amp.

the kid asked for advice on pickups. so immediately everyone makes assumptions about his setup, goals, and application. instead of choosing to offer relevant advice *about pickups*, you guys think that since *you* would prefer investing in an amp before upgrading pickups, that *he* has to do the exact same thing. this happens in every thread though. simpletons that dont realize you can improve your sound for digital recording by changing pickups, regardless of your amp. especially if you are using protools, mbox, cakewalk, or even line 6's little modeling toys.

not everyone has the same desire to play local slum dive clubs.
simply answer the questions, if you dont have any relevant advice about pickups, why clutter the board with your geriatric advice? lol its 2009.

lol awww. dont be upset mr blue. i know its going to be a tough season with lane kiffin and all, but december, and another losing season will be over before you know it. =o)

What the hell are you rambling on about?
He wants new pickups.
We offered advice that will allow him to make a better choice about which pickups to get, without him wasting money.
We asked for his gear and intentions so we can offer BETTER advice.
I mean, if has a modelling amp, stock MIM Strat pickups will generally perform perfectly fine, if not, he'd ask and we'd recommend good pups to go with a modeller.

He asked for good blues pickups.
That's a vague question.
What type of blues does he play? More importantly, what amp has he got, and in WHICH way does he want to change his sound.

Seriously. He says he is going to get a new amp soon, so why bother getting pickups now when he get pickups later on that better suit his new amp?
We're not saying 'get an amp first', we're saying 'wait until you get that amp, so you can make in informed decision on pickups'.

Now, stop being a dick and learn how to offer real, helpful advice, that won't cause someone to spend excessive money on something that may not even suit them.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
lmao. the funny thing about 60 year old biased moderators that take their *job* way too seriously, is that there is no shortage of login id's or ip addresses. you can frivolously ban somebody, but the only thing that does is irritate them a little. they will keep on returning, posting, flaming, and doing everything else protected under freedom of speech. and all you can do about it is ban them again. lol.

all you are doing by trying to play God is creating enemies.

Quote by VolsFBSucks
lmao. the funny thing about 60 year old biased moderators that take their *job* way too seriously, is that there is no shortage of login id's or ip addresses. you can frivolously ban somebody, but the only thing that does is irritate them a little. they will keep on returning, posting, flaming, and doing everything else protected under freedom of speech. and all you can do about it is ban them again. lol.

all you are doing by trying to play God is creating enemies.

Check your PMs. We can work this out, I'm sure.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by Simsimius

+1

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

I'll throw in my usual plug for Stephens Design. This guy lives and breathes single coil blues-oriented pickups. He's got a lot of soundclips on his site. I had a set of his overwound Mojo V pickups in my Strat and they were my PERFECT Strat sound.

www.sdpickups.com
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by xtheclincherx

This man speaks the truth.