ok I'm a guitarist of about 5 years now
and the other day I picked up the school bass and I loved it so much now every day I look forward to playing It
so I've decided to get my own

I'm looking for recommendations kuz I really know nothing about bass
I'm looking for the best beginner bass for the price (max about $600 Au)
I'm into bands like Tool Rage and RHCP

also one question
is it possible to run a bass through a guitar amp or am i going to need a bass amp?

thanks in advance
You are going to need a bass amp! Else you'll kill your guitar amp... or so I've heard...
that is quite sexy

but squier?
from what ive seen of their guitars i can say im less than impressed
Its possible, but guitar circuits and speakers arent made for that much low end, and itll do damage to the amp in the long run. Get a bass amp. And the VM Jazz is a great value for the price. I doubt you would be disappointed if you bought it. It runs about $300 american, which is pretty cheap.

EDIT: Dont knock that one before you try it. It really seems to be a diamond in the Squier rough. It's much better than you might think tbh.
Last edited by qotsa1998 at Aug 4, 2009,
Same but dude this one is a keeper. I tried every bass in the music store and this beat out bases that were twice the price! The -ONLY- quirk it had out of the box was a high action but a quick truss rod tweak had me playing like butter in 5 minutes.

Also, I have yet to find an internet picture that does the finish justice. Its so beautiful up-close!

Just give it a try if they have it somewhere local and I doubt you will dislike it.
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST...-Zappa
Here's a video of the mentioned bass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvW-fn8m2WA

Also, would not recommend using a guitar amp with a bass, as said earlier, these are not made for them.
I had this friend who ****ed up one guitar amp using a bass guitar.
"oh sh*t i gotta do vibrato"
-Marty Friedman

Best quote ever.
Last edited by rauLstradlinN at Aug 4, 2009,
Squier basses are of better quality than their guitars and their VM models are in the quality arena of the MiMs in some cases.

Check out the FAQ for more ideas, but my advice is that if you've played guitar for over 5 years you know the ins and outs of buying an instrument and talking to sales people (for better or worse). Set yourself a budget for a bass and a practice amp and start hitting the stores. I would avoid Dean and Epiphone myself due to QA issues, but really you need to find a good instrument that feels good in your hands and won't restrict your learning process with poor craftsmanship.
as the usual suggestion from me... www.rondomusic.com

i don't have any experience w/ their amps though
Quote by CoreysMonster
you know why rabbits are smarter than cows?

fucking cows start moo-ing around for no reason, but rabbits keep their mouth shut until they actually have something to say.

god I hate cows.
I bought a guitar amp a while ago that a bass was played through.. you can't hear anything being played through it inless the mid control is all the way up, dunno what happend there but i got it for cheap.. just don't do it.. and i agree with squire basses being higher quality then their guitars the VM stuff is awsome.
I pay for music and so should you: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ipayformusic

Quote by Music18
u just got to love fat strats.... and i really like the ones that hav 2 single pick upsm then the humbucker near the bridge... very nice =)
I personally think you should go to a music store and try out a variety of basses, so you can find what sound you like. As for amps, it really depends on what kind of sound you want and how loud you want to be. I can help you a little if you want an amp that can handle extreme lows with little to no highs or mids.

Being a guitarist you probably use a pick, but you should try both fingers and pick, because they have different sounds (I'd recommend that for guitar as well).
I'd DEFINITELY recommend going used, waaay more bang for your buck. Especially if you have some experience in music.
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk
Go Dean, they have basses for everybody. Going used also is a great idea. If you dont have a bass amp you can play it through a guitar amp. I did and my amps still work just fine. But if you do go Dean Try either an Edge or a Demonator, they are both excellent basses for beginning bassists.
Quote by Satchafunkilus
Go Dean, they have basses for everybody. Going used also is a great idea. If you dont have a bass amp you can play it through a guitar amp. I did and my amps still work just fine. But if you do go Dean Try either an Edge or a Demonator, they are both excellent basses for beginning bassists.

The reason you shouldn't use a guitar amp is because a bass uses lower frenquencies and pushes more, thus needing a higher wattage to compensate. You can play a bass though a guitar amp, but if you don't keep the volume low you will blow it. Not mention that you wont get a good sound unless you like your sound very hallow.
well all this help has been great but . . .

ive really only gotten 2 proper suggestions so far lol
Quote by Satchafunkilus

Never ever go Dean the build quality is horrid, best starters are some of the Ibanez's and if you have the cash Vintage Squier's are just as good and have good build quality.Just never ever touch dean i know a few people who have horror stories about Razorback's and a few of the basses and i tried one which to be honest even felt cheap only ever buy a dean if its a good expensive one with decent pups and feels like it has a decent build quality by god Dean's low end is possibly the worst i have ever laid my hands on in a music shop.

But for a quality starter bass go Ibanez or Squier imo even look for used bass's thats what i did i got an Aria igb35 not great not bad either for £40 from a friend and to be honest i was happy just to get a bass for that kinda cash.