Ok, so I was thinking about this... I like to play guitar, and also a lot of different styles from metal to country, blues and jazz.
and having only the choise 100% clean or distortion is a little... well... crap.

So I looked at the PodFarm software from line6. And I really like the way you can play with the tones.

However I dont have the money for a expensive Line6 POD.
After a little searching around on google I found the Line6 Studio UX-1 and the UX-2.

A lot of reviews where very good, but also people said the distortion on PodFarm is crap.
I really like to play Metal, so having a good distortion is pretty important to me.

Is there anyone around here who has one and can tell me if it is a good thing to buy.

Also is there a big difference between the UX-1 and the UX-2?

Not very sure if this is the right forum section to post...

well i'd like to hear from someone

Thanks!
I've bought the pod studio GX for £59, everything sounds good to me... both cleans and the distorted amp models.

Definitely worth a whirl if you ask me
Gibson SG
Ibanez RGR420ex
Marshall JTM30
Slash SW95 Crybaby
Boss DS1/DD7
Digitech Bad Monkey

Podfarm is the program, there is no tonal difference between the UX-1 and the UX-2 if you're recording line in. and I'm pretty sure they come with Gearbox, not Podfarm.

EDIT: hear a tone sample of a recording with a UX-1 and gearbox

http://catharsis.supremepixels.com/ugmix.mp3
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Aug 4, 2009,
"Podfarm is the program, there is no tonal difference between the UX-1 and the UX-2 if you're recording line in. and I'm pretty sure they come with Gearbox, not Podfarm."

well the Line6 site sais it comes with Podfarm and the Ux-1 also gets the fx-junkies effect pack with it...

but from the looks of them i'd sais that the only difference between the 2 is the amount of ports... am i right?
I have a friend who plays strictly metal and uses the ux-2. he loves it and he actually just recorded his guitar tracks for his band's new cd using the ux-2. they sounded great to me
I do all of my recording with my Pod Studio UX2 and Pod Farm. I also use Guitar Rig 3 occasionally, but Pod Farm works well for me.

It doesn't do br00t@lz gain very well, but the distortion isn't bad. I play everything from Opeth to Dream Theater to Iron Maiden fine with Pod Farm.

Edit: The FX junkie pack comes with the UX2 as well.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
you get an extra guitar and mic input with the UX2, maybe some extra amp models as well

Go for the UX1 if you don't need the extra ports
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Just search "line 6 toneport metal" or something like that on youtube. Watch the videos and decide for yourself if it's the type of tone you like. It can definitely make some br00tal noise, but perhaps not the noise you prefer.

But I think most products from line6 are a bargain for what you get. Like Rolling_man, he paid £59 for one and the stuff you can do with it is (to me) definitely worth the money.

You could try searching the 'Riffs & Recordings'-forum for 'toneport' or 'line6'. There's probably a lot of stuff recorded with a toneport in there.
Last edited by n00bje at Aug 4, 2009,
ok you got me =D
Im going for the UX-1 as I don't need more ports, I actually don't even need the mic input but it might be usefull if I ever get to play in a band or something...
Thanks a whole lot for your help I didn't expect to get such numbers of responses :p

THANKS A LOT!!!
Line 6 POD sucks. It's the equivalent to a Spider III amp. Just... Euh.
Quote by Mr_CiNiC
Line 6 POD sucks. It's the equivalent to a Spider III amp. Just... Euh.

I don't think you know what you are thinking about. The POD is some sort of preamp (i think), those POD studios are interfaces.
I just recently bought my UX2 and i'm diggin it so far..I do like to play heavier stuff as well and finding a good distortion is pretty tricky. To find a good sound..i'd suggest playing around with the EQ's, adding effects and all that..by doing that i've found some actually pretty decent tones!

Also, try checking around some videos on YouTube. Tons of people post songs they've made with the UX2 and it'll give you a chance to hear for yourself!
This is the biggest problem Im having right now!

I was so sure about getting the UX2, but I dont know how many reviwes Ive read saying it isnt good for crunchy metal sounds.

ugh. now what? has anyone used the Zoom g2.1u ? It even comes with Cubase LE!
the only down side is unlike the UX2, you cant use this for bass and mics... :[
I'm actually looking at something like this too.
I'm a total noob to this though, could I have it go GUITAR-->MT-2---->UX1?
If so, that would solve my problem of wanting something like teh br00t4lz
EDIT: Check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPiCAiAxDT8
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Last edited by DimebagLivesOn at Aug 5, 2009,
Quote by DimebagLivesOn
I'm actually looking at something like this too.
I'm a total noob to this though, could I have it go GUITAR-->MT-2---->UX1?
If so, that would solve my problem of wanting something like teh br00t4lz
EDIT: Check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPiCAiAxDT8

Yeah it so difficult to pick one to start with because people give a lot of bad reviews but they dont really recomment you anything.
A friend of mine recommended Zoom priducts such as the g2.1u
http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/g21u/

I think Im just going to get the g9.2tt it even comes with cubase LE.
only downside is you cant record bass and vocals like with the Line6 UX2
Quote by InWinter
Yeah it so difficult to pick one to start with because people give a lot of bad reviews but they dont really recomment you anything.
A friend of mine recommended Zoom priducts such as the g2.1u
http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/g21u/

I think Im just going to get the g9.2tt it even comes with cubase LE.
only downside is you cant record bass and vocals like with the Line6 UX2

But the UX2 has microphone inputs right?
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
i have a regular podxt and it does metal sounds just fine. although i have to say it really only does so when using the stompbox simulator in conjunction with the amp modelling.

i'm unsure if the UX interface program offer the stombox models, but if they do, you should be just fine for most metal tones.

i can get a wide range of distortion from early black sabbaths to hate eternal.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I guess Im going to get the Zoom g9.2tt for recording guitars (it even comes with Cubase LE) and Im getting the Line6 KB37 for recording vocals and bass. I guess thats good for now.
I've used a zoom G series pedal before.

one of the tunes in my profile was done with the G2.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.