Im sure this has been asked but I searched and didnt yield the results I preferred. I got sort of an answer but I'll ask anyway. Can I hookup 2 amp heads to 1 cabinet.

I am running a Jcm800 50watt into a 2x12 jcm800 cab with a 16 ohm-GT12-75 and a 16ohm-Vintage 30(60 watts) wired in parallel rated at 135wattts at 8ohms. I am getting a Tiny Terror for real cheap. I was wondering if its possible to have 2 heads running through this cab? I know some people have a 4x12 cab and wire 2x12's separate and run each amp into each input, but I only have 2 speakers to work with. Could I wire 2 inputs identically in parallel and plug into both since the combined output of both amps still wont reach 135watts? Sorry if this a noob question but I figured I'd ask to be safe.
well i know they sell things like the toneclone headbone that is rated to switch between heads thru one cab but they are about as much as i can get the tiny terror for and for that price i might as well get another cab. I just figured it would be easier this way.
Quote by kakos
use an AB box....

No, don't. That will run the amp not being used with no load...

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
No, don't. That will run the amp not being used with no load...

Tubetime is right. No load = amp meltdown. Just get a cab for each head. There may be a way to do it, but I would likely not be comfortable with it.
Quote by cedricsmods
Tubetime is right. No load = amp meltdown. Just get a cab for each head. There may be a way to do it, but I would likely not be comfortable with it.

i'd listen to these guys. afterall ced made it to the third ****ing task
Quote by cedricsmods

thats kinda what i figured but i just thought that if i could do it with one cab and then just switch between heads and have 2 diff setups it might be fun and have less gear to haul. Otherwise its no biggie.
Yeah, an AB into two separate amps is fine, but the only thing that should go between your amplifier and your speakers is a speaker cable.

The reason an AB switch between the amp and speakers will not work is because whichever amp is not going into the speaker at any given time has no load. No resistance allows too much current to flow through your amp, possibly roasting the circuitry.

If the impedances were properly matched, it would be fine enclose two sets of speakers in the same box, as long as each amp is connected to speakers of the proper impedance for that amp. So if both of your amps have a 16Ω out, you could put two jacks on your 2x12 and wire a single 16Ω speaker to each jack. That would be fine.
So something like this wouldnt work then if my total output from both amps (prolly 90watts) didnt exceed the rating of the combined total speaker rating (135 watts)? sorry speakers and ratings are still a little different for me to wrap my head around.
make two 1x12 cabs in one enclosure? lol like two inputs in one cab? separate the speakers. nah nvm that's stupid.

2 cabs is way easier.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by migs_migeezie
Could I wire 2 inputs identically in parallel and plug into both since the combined output of both amps...
Absolutely do not do this. Smoke will ensue...
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Absolutely do not do this. Smoke will ensue...

ha ha i kinda figured as much but hey it was worth asking. although i may have worded the "inputs wired identical in parallel"thing wrong. what i meant was wire the speakers in parallel to one input jack and then run another set of wires off the same tabs of the speakers in parallel to another input jack that was the same as the other. kinda like the pic above but oh well. its not a deal breaker for me. guess i shoulda kept my 4x12. That just give's me reason to buy more stuff and get yelled at by the wife. ha ha
Last edited by migs_migeezie at Aug 4, 2009,
Quote by apak
make two 1x12 cabs in one enclosure? lol like two inputs in one cab? separate the speakers. nah nvm that's stupid.

2 cabs is way easier.

It's not as silly as you think actually. What i did with my bass cab build was have it switch between mono and stereo curcitry so you could just have one amp into both speakers or 2 amps on at the same time in each speaker seperately. I think this is how some manufacturers wire up their cabs too.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
They make stereo cabinets...basically two 212 cabs stuck together. A friend of mine has a Crate cab that does it.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by eddiehimself
It's not as silly as you think actually. What i did with my bass cab build was have it switch between mono and stereo curcitry so you could just have one amp into both speakers or 2 amps on at the same time in each speaker seperately. I think this is how some manufacturers wire up their cabs too.

So is it possible to wire it up so that the tiny terror was run to the mono jack which was just wired to the V30, and then the jcm was wired to the stereo which was wired to both the V30 and the gt75 and it had a switch in between for mono/stereo?
Quote by migs_migeezie
So is it possible to wire it up so that the tiny terror was run to the mono jack which was just wired to the V30, and then the jcm was wired to the stereo which was wired to both the V30 and the gt75 and it had a switch in between for mono/stereo?

This is possible, but you still couldn't run both at the same time.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
This is possible, but you still couldn't run both at the same time.

Gotcha. Well i want gonna run both to play at the same time but i did want to have to option of being able to switch heads while plying via an A/B box but i suppose thats not going to work. Oh well. I'll just start looking for a new cab. Thanks for the help guys.
Quote by migs_migeezie
Gotcha. Well i want gonna run both to play at the same time but i did want to have to option of being able to switch heads while plying via an A/B box but i suppose thats not going to work. Oh well. I'll just start looking for a new cab. Thanks for the help guys.

well you could run both through the same cab if it was in stereo mode but you can't have 2 amps running through the same speaker basically.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."