I have a little trouble strumming with my fingers, i can do it fairly well untill i have to do some quick up and down strumming. My hands move in the right way, but my nails allways get hooked on a string, or bounce of one and miss the rest.

What technique do you lot use?

Like what postion is your fingers in?

I tend just to use the finger closest to my thumb when strumming, and have my thumb supporting it at the first crease in my finger.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
for 1, it helps to cut ur fingernails fairly short so they dont get in the way. (at least thats how i like it). So what i do is just use my pointing finger or whatever, and just strum and such, i act like its just another pick, ignore the pain and what not though, cuz your finger may get a bit cut up depending on what strings you use. so, ya, my way is very simple and probably not the 'proper' way of doing it, but it works for me.
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine
Last edited by Tojo62 at Aug 4, 2009,
I actually make a pick from the nails on my finger and thumb. Press them together at the tips and its almost like a pick.

Other than that, sometimes I play with just my thumb for softer stuff/when I'm playing something fingerstyle and then want to softly strum
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Well, I've got fingernails on my right hand that are somewhat long (well, I can tell they're there when typing and stuff), so If I strum with my fingers, I more so use my thumbnail. It looks a bit funny, but oh well.

But what Natrone said works quite well, I think I used to do that before I started growing out the fingernails on my right hand.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
I play my acoustic guitar whit no pick 90% of the time,reason is i like how it sounds more soft and mellow and it's even easier to finger pick cause you have no pick(thats just my opinion and how i feel comfortable to play) but my technique is that i just line up my 4 fingers and strum,i have my finger nails really short also,so i don't get finger nails stuck while strumming.

I am sorry if i sound like a dumbass i am a bit tipsy
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
flamenco techniques apply well to steel string strumming. find some youtube videos
i have to keep my nails at least not short to have decent sound
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
Last edited by Regensgeliebte at Aug 4, 2009,
I never use a pick on acoustic unless I play like an actual solo that has to cut through a louder guitar

but to strum wtih just fingers I usually use my pointer and thumb almost like I'm holding a pick, but I just use the fingers, I just like the sound better on most guitars
I just use my index and middle finger and just pull up and down lightly.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Cheers people.
It's clear that there isn't really an average way then. Everyone here does it different.

I'm just going to experiment some more i think.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by DarkCond0
up-stroke with the thumb, down-stroke with middle and ring fingers

Same here - I use 1, 2, 3, or 4 fingers on the downstroke and thumbnail up.

I think it sounds really good and can get different sounds depending on how many fingers I use
Quote by DarkCond0
up-stroke with the thumb, down-stroke with middle and ring fingers

I actually prefer the other way around, thumb on the down-stroke (using skin near the nail) and tip of pointer for general upstroke (using middle and ring for ringing individual notes).
I don't actually use the nail but the skin. it takes a little while for the skin to harden, but much less than it takes for callouses to build on the left hand.
Fingers loose, make a "One-Hand-Clapping" motion.
Add wrist as needed.

That's how I do it anyway

Or with just the thumb for slow chords/single notes.
Last edited by Sir Anonymous at Aug 6, 2009,
I, actually use my nails for strumming, what you wanna do is: use your thumb nail to scrape the strings in an upward direction when you want to strum up and use the nail of your middle finger to strum down. If you look at your right hand, your thumb should be overlapping your middle finger making a very jagged backwards C
Freedom isn't free...

It costs like ten dollars a gram
Quote by Natrone
I actually make a pick from the nails on my finger and thumb. Press them together at the tips and its almost like a pick.

Other than that, sometimes I play with just my thumb for softer stuff/when I'm playing something fingerstyle and then want to softly strum

exactly. pinch ur thumb and pointer finger together. i've seen many ppl do this.
METALLICA!!!
___________ ____________

Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sunburst
Ibanez V70CENT
LINE 6 Spider III 15
Peavey Bandit 112
Jim Dunlop, Dava, First Act Picks
Quote by eberg2
I never use a pick on acoustic unless I play like an actual solo that has to cut through a louder guitar

but to strum wtih just fingers I usually use my pointer and thumb almost like I'm holding a pick, but I just use the fingers, I just like the sound better on most guitars

All the same with me. I keep my nails fairly short as well because I can't stand getting them caught on the strings or having them scrape against them.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝