Ok, so I found a local pawn shop type place selling a used Vox AD100VT for $250. The only problem is I've never been amp shopping before and I've always been neglectful of gear-knowledge. I know the type of sound I want to get, I just have no idea how to check this thing for defects. What kind of stuff should I do to make sure this thing works alright and won't give me a headache down the road?
Play it and make sure no odd noises come out. Make sure all the knobs work well and aren't scratchy. Be sure the input jack isn't loose and wobbly. Just that kind of stuff really. Other than that, those amps should work great.
first thing i do is strum the guitar and turn all the knobs one at a time and try all the channels to make sure all the knobs and buttons do what theyre supposed quietly and dont feel loose or worn. play it quietly and make sure its not excessively noisy on all the channels. and youre gonna want to crank it up high to make sure the speakers not bad and the electronics can take theyre full load without malfunction. unless he will let you take it apart thats about as much quality testing as you can do.

when testing out how much your ears like it just start turning knobs and see how easily you can find tones you like. if you have trouble finding good tones or it takes a lot of precise tweaking to get good tones its probably not the amp for you. the best way to get familiar with the tone stack is to try them all halfway up and turn them all the way up and down individually. try out all the gain levels and dont just try the clean and go straight to full blast gain (unless thats the only two settings youre ever gonna use) and take your time. make an adjustment and play for a minute and tweak again and keep repeating that untill you feel you know the amp enough to be comfortable buying it. and DONT let the staff rush you. remember they want your money and your doing them a favor by spending money at their business. YOURE the boss when youre there and dont let them treat you otherwise.
Personally I would not spent that amount of money on a solid state amp, even if it is considered a good deal. I just think it's money you could invest into getting a nice tube amp.

The ADVT amps are pretty good although I wouldn't get the 100W version. Any solid state amp of that wattage just seems like abit of a waste to me.

However, others may disagree and it is your money
Sounds like a good deal. Those Bad Boys retial for around 800. I'll bet it has a Kick *** tone, albiet an SS amp. Your never going to get a "Go for it" from UG when you bring up an SS amp. But hey, its powerfull, can handle any gig you could throw at it, and it costs less than re-tubing in some cases. (Thats a part of Tube Amp ownership that gets old, but well worth it I suppose). My buddy had his amp re-tubed, damn close to two hundred bucks. I suppose he bought High end tubes, but then again, why not huh?
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by XtAsY2007
Personally I would not spent that amount of money on a solid state amp, even if it is considered a good deal. I just think it's money you could invest into getting a nice tube amp.

The ADVT amps are pretty good although I wouldn't get the 100W version. Any solid state amp of that wattage just seems like abit of a waste to me.

However, others may disagree and it is your money

I'm sorry, but I disagree. He can't get a tube amp (a good one) for $250.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by jc349
I'm sorry, but I disagree. He can't get a tube amp (a good one) for $250.

I meant to save that money until he does have the money for a good tube amp.
Well to be honest, if he's a beginner this could be a pretty good deal. I mean its an amp that is gonna give you decent sound for a wide variety of genres, obviously they're not gonna be great but i think it wont really matter too much. Also if ts decides to start gigging, it will do for a while before an upgrade to a tube amp is neccasary. I personally would save for a decent tube amp but for someone who MAY be less expieremced i would say go for it.