Hey I just want to see how many people change out their stock guitar pickups for some other kind. Do you guys swap the pickups that came with the guitar for better ones or do you just keep them and work your tone around them?
Depends, if I don't like my stock pickups I will change them. The sound you hear is mostly from your amp, your pickups fine tune your sound.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
Depends, if I don't like my stock pickups I will change them. The sound you hear is mostly from your amp, your pickups fine tune your sound.

Not exactly, My pickups sound absolutey disgusting with a XXX like yours which is why i didn't get one. Some guitars were just paired with the wrong pickups and if you have a good responseful tube amp pickups WILL matter greatly. (not trying to be a jerk Joeperry)

Edit: Don't change ur pickups tho max especially with a strat like that.
Last edited by maverick_137 at Aug 4, 2009,
Depends on the guitar. Epi is known for their pickups not being very good and a swap will do wonders for them. Same with economy guitars they use cheap pickups but may not get such good results as the guitar itself may not be so great. Now you go buy a carvin or gibson you probably dont need to swap pickups. Some just do swaps because they want something different or with higher output.

But its not very effective if your stuck using a crappy amp. You could put those "cheap" EVH signed humbuckers in, at 400$ ea. But thru a spider or MG you might not even be able to tell their any different than the stock ones.
Quote by maverick_137
Not exactly, My pickups sound absolutey disgusting with a XXX like yours which is why i didn't get one. Some guitars were just paired with the wrong pickups and if you have a good responseful tube amp pickups WILL matter greatly. (not trying to be a jerk Joeperry)

Edit: Don't change ur pickups tho max especially with a strat like that.

That was just my opinion anyways.

You'll get many different awnser TS. Just follow your ears, if you don't like them, change them.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
If you really like the neck it's worth putting some great pups in, if the neck is ...meh, get a new guitar.
I installed a vintage 1970's double black T-Top (I do not know the output, but it's a hotter pickup than a PAF) into the bridge position of my '58 Reissue Les Paul. I'll put a pic in my profile if anyone cares. Planning on maybe putting a Dimarzio into the neck to replace the Burstbucker Neck
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
i changed the pickups in my strat because i knew exactly what i wanted from that guitar sound wise. the stock pickups were not that good to start, so upgrading to something that was what i wanted really helped me get the sound i was looking for. however with all my other guitars, i just use the stock pickups. none of them have bad pickups and i am not looking for a super specific sound, so there is no reason to change.

so basicly if you have a pretty good amp and you know exactly what you want, then a pickup swap can really help hone your sound (not drasticly change it). otherwise, it probably isnt worth it a lot of the time.
Sometimes. I swapped them in my Jagmaster and my G-400, I will in the RG7321 when I can afford it. The ORM is staying stock, it sounds really good and I can't imagine a pickup that would better suit it.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
usually I change them. I like to test out and try different tones.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JoePerry4life

I don't really agree with that. Removing "touch" from the equation and assuming you've got a qualityamp. I'd say that your sound is 60% is from the amp and 40% from the guitar pickups. I've got 6 electric guitars, and each of them sounds different enough that even my gf can notice a difference, and she's not exactly what I'd call observant.

But for the most part I keep my pickups stock since as a lefty I'm generally limited to either crap, or high end stuff. I usually go for the high end stuff, so the pickups are generally good already. I did however change the pickups on my 2 ibanez guitars since both were a little too metal sounding for my taste.

Still, unless you've got a good amp, there's really no point in doing it. On a cheap amp you'll be able to tell the difference between a single coil and a humbucker, but you probably won't really hear any differences between two different humbuckers.. On a high end amp though it's really noticeable.