Here it is, i've just finished reading the books Crossfire (about SRV, not written by himself) and Clapton (written by Clapton himself) and it inspired me to having a little talk about the subject. I know it might seem a bit wierd. But I've often wondered if it's a common thing to have a little sip or two whilst practising or whenever? I want to point out it's NOT about getting drunk, just getting that little buzz.
So I wondered, does anyone use it as a kind of a "help" to practicing more, better in new ways, anything. It seems like an interesting topic to me.

Personally I grew up with the "You aint supposed to drink alone" thing. Where i'm from that's sort of the general attitude. But lately i've been thinking about the subject, inspired from those 2 books. I mean, it's a tough subject, and i'm in no way a heavy drinker. I might drink 4 liters of beer on average in a whole month.
But I hate that sometimes I get in the mood to have ½ a sixpack, sit down, and sing some tunes. Totally innocent. And yet if I tell people that I like to do that, they go - music and substances, be careful, or something like that.

Even if you haven't got an opinion to that subject i'd like to hear about the "general drinking attitude" in your country (or town/state)

I'm from Denmark, and my country is like nr.1 or 2 on the list of countries that drink the most. I know how it is here, what's the attitude behind it where you guys are from? Haven't been to the US, but in Britain it seems like there is another kind of thinking behind it. To me it seemed like they drink on a lot of days in a week. And where i'm from people drink 1-2 days week but go completely (and i find that stupid to be honest) berserk.

Enough writing by me.
Discuss?
You sound better to yourself when you are drunk, you'll most likely sound worse to others, unless of course they are drunk too.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Drink buttermilk all week, and whiskey on a Sunday.

I don't see a problem with drinking a few beers alone or when practicing. But I think if you are consistently getting drunk alone then you may have a problem.
Is england on #1 for most amount of drunks?
DIEDIT: we're 6th.
i don't know anyone who isn't, me included.

man i love beer.
Last edited by DieGarbageMan at Aug 4, 2009,
I don't even know what buttermilk is

Again i'm not saying drunk, i play sucky guitar when i'm drunk. And believe me i always try!
Quote by daytripper75
Drink buttermilk all week, and whiskey on a Sunday.

I don't see a problem with drinking a few beers alone or when practicing. But I think if you are consistently getting drunk alone then you may have a problem.

Why would I want to get drunk with somebody else? Drunks are annoying.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Actually I just checked it, Denmark is Nr.1..

I belive it's finland, sweden and norway who are pretty solid top countries on the list..

(welfare system anyone)?
Quote by DieGarbageMan
Is england on #1 for most amount of ASBOs?

Fixed.

On topic, I drink very little alcohol. I wouldn't say I was ever encouraged to drink, but neither was I told not to.

Maybe it's coming from a largely non-alcohol drinking side of me, but it's sad when all you hear about on the news is the amount of binge drinking going on because there's nothing else for them to enjoy
I honestly believe my creativity on guitar didn't show up until I started smoking weed.

Alcohol usually just makes me drunk and unable to play.
Quote by zachbino57
CSguitarvocal is correct as usual, pepsi tastes much better out of a can.

Quote by TWISTEDFender
And CSguitarvocal for teh win.
My facts come from lists measured by liter per person. Denmark is a small country so if it's general consumption we're no way near the top
Having a few beers (or any other alcoholic beverage in a small dose) by yourself is fine if you're trying to relax or whatever, but getting drunk on your own are telltale signs of an alcoholic.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
I've yet to try any kinda of drug, even weed. And i'm 22.. But it kinda annoys me when thinking about the fact that every single one of my idols did some kind of drug.

Hah, the day I get drunk by myself, well, first off it'll never happen.. But if it did well thats a pic /slap yourself
Last edited by Derek and at Aug 4, 2009,
Quote by MyNameIsLame
Having a few beers (or any other alcoholic beverage in a small dose) by yourself is fine if you're trying to relax or whatever, but getting drunk on your own are telltale signs of no social life.

Fixed.
Alcoholics go to meetings. Drunks go to bars.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
I would say I'm more creative after a few, that's mainly just because I'm more open/forward about my ideas, not because it sparks anything inside me to write good music. I don't tend to sit around and write much on my own, I'm always writing/jamming with other people so usually a few helps in a positive way but I have to know my limit otherwise it's just messy as hell.
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Quote by Johnny Trash
I would say I'm more creative after a few, that's mainly just because I'm more open/forward about my ideas, not because it sparks anything inside me to write good music. I don't tend to sit around and write much on my own, I'm always writing/jamming with other people so usually a few helps in a positive way but I have to know my limit otherwise it's just messy as hell.

Very much like myself. I don't think i'm the greatest when im buzzed, but the more open/forward thing is very much the good effect i want to "achieve"
Colombia has the highest percentage of drinking teenagers in latin america, which is 90someting % (lol, im there).

I live with my grandma and she always says ''you dont need to drink to have fun'' while some older cousins and their friends do offer me alcohol and that is pretty cool and Ive just poked one time.

IDK if this is normal in other countries or not, but Underaged people (under 18) can drink alcohol at private parties.

Your guitar creativity doesn't increase at all while drunk, I dont think you are able to play a scale correctly if drunk

In the pic, this a colombian alcoholic drink, maybe youve seen it around in the US illegally

Last edited by actaderock at Aug 4, 2009,
Have never seen it. What is it?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Cool, a little inside to columbia.

Well here we teenagers start drinking, on average, at the age of 14/15. You can buy alchohol at age 16 (not in bars though).

Sad thing about me country is that the mentality is drinking is cool.. except it's really not, atleast in those amounts
All i hear about columbia is on the subject of drugs : / or beatiful nature lol
Quote by actaderock
aguardiente

That translates as fire water kinda sorta doesn't it? Is it a rum?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Derek and
All i hear about columbia is on the subject of drugs : / or beatiful nature lol

and girls
Quote by Jackal58
That translates as fire water kinda sorta doesn't it? Is it a rum?

it translates to ''burning water'' and it is made of a thing called ''anis'' and a varied amount of sugar (the one with the red cap has more sugar than the one with the blue cap).

When you drink the first shot, it feels like a ''block of hot sensation'' runs through your esophagus and when it reaches your stomach it calms down. After the second one, you are cool with it.
Quote by Derek and
Cool, a little inside to columbia.

Well here we teenagers start drinking, on average, at the age of 14/15. You can buy alchohol at age 16 (not in bars though).

Sad thing about me country is that the mentality is drinking is cool.. except it's really not, atleast in those amounts

You can buy alchohol in bars if you're below 18... And just hope they don't ask for ID(which they don't often do in my experience...) :P
Gear:
Buffet E13 Clarinet in Bb.
Canon 40D, Sigma 35 mm f/1.4 Art, Canon 100 mm f/2.8 L IS USM macro, Tamron 17-50 2.8, 50 mm 1.8.
Flickr
Quote by actaderock
it translates to ''burning water'' and it is made of a thing called ''anis'' and a varied amount of sugar (the one with the red cap has more sugar than the one with the blue cap).

When you drink the first shot, it feels like a ''block of hot sensation'' runs through your esophagus and when it reaches your stomach it calms down. After the second one, you are cool with it.

Ya I got the "burning" after I posted. So it's kinda like Columbian Sambuca ?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Pff.. I don't even hear about girls.

We have a local drink with that effect too, called "snaps". It'll heat up your whole body anytime.. I hate it, too bad it's a christmas time must drink
Quote by rhumst
You can buy alchohol in bars if you're below 18... And just hope they don't ask for ID(which they don't often do in my experience...) :P

in ColOmbia (not columbia) they ask for IDs all of the freaking time, even just after you entered the club. It ****ing sucks.

But some people get false IDs before 18, im gonna get mine when im 16
Quote by rhumst

Depends on the bar

But there's always that one place
Quote by Jackal58
Ya I got the "burning" after I posted. So it's kinda like Columbian Sambuca ?

Sambuca?

EDIT: oh yeah, wikipedia-ted it, yeah it is probably the same thing, but i imagine sambuca with a sweeter taste and lol, as it is italian it looks so fancy compared to the colombian bottle
Last edited by actaderock at Aug 4, 2009,
By the way, what's up with the false ID thing? Where i'm from i've never heard of it. Our ID can't be faked, and if you can, man you almost deserve it.
Quote by Derek and
By the way, what's up with the false ID thing? Where i'm from i've never heard of it. Our ID can't be faked, and if you can, man you almost deserve it.

if a U-18 pesron likes to party, either rich, poor, middle-class, blah blah blah would probabl get a false ID (well, the ID is a thing that they give before they give you the actual document, so theyd think you are in the process of getting your actual document)

The bad thing is you kinda have to look like a grown-up, but well, I heard of a girl getting her false ID when she was ****ing 10 (they say she looks older, but it is freaking 10 years of life)
In america you've got to be twenty one to drink... In certain states it's legal to drink in your house if you're 18, but you still can't buy it. In my experiences, parents either freak out about it or give a little wink and turn their head.

As for jamming while drinking, I find that after one or two beers I enjoy playing a little more, but the farther I go past the three beer mark, the sloppier I become. :/
Weed, on the other hand... I would have to smoke a sh*t ton of weed for it to negatively affect my playing.
Although the masters make the rules
For the wise men and the fools
I got nothing, Ma, to live up to.
In Ireland prettyt much everybody knows or is related to a boarderline alcholic so its pretty much anything goes with drink. Were mostly social drinkers but solo drinking is'nt excatly shunned.

As for guitar playing, Id have a few if I felt like it but I wouldent get drunk if I was playing a gig..
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Quote by Thin Mr. Jones

As for jamming while drinking, I find that after one or two beers I enjoy playing a little more, but the farther I go past the three beer mark, the sloppier I become. :/
Weed, on the other hand... I would have to smoke a sh*t ton of weed for it to negatively affect my playing.

Whats the effect of weed when playing, really? I don't know. A guy once gave me a long explenation on the effect of LSD. Which seemed pretty ear and listening altering.
Quote by Derek and
Whats the effect of weed when playing, really? I don't know. A guy once gave me a long explenation on the effect of LSD. Which seemed pretty ear and listening altering.

It makes you think your playing better that you actually are.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Quote by Fiddelers elbow
It makes you think your playing better that you actually are.

Yeah, but if you can play halfway decent to begin with, your playing doesn't really get affected by being high.
If you're drunk, then you think you're playing better than you are, but you're probably playing horrible...
Although the masters make the rules
For the wise men and the fools
I got nothing, Ma, to live up to.