I am a total noob to guitar and reading music and tabs and want to know what I need to learn to play metal riffs and cover 90's rock songs. what should i start learning first? I am going to take my time and build up speed but I would like to be able to play some easy metal riffs pretty soon and don't want to waste time learning stuff i don't need. this is just a hobbby for me and i would eventually like to play some of the great metal riffs and stuff like bush, green day, collective soul, soundgarden, fuel, candlebox, etc.... where should i start and in what order should i learn things to accomplish my goals. Thanks a ton
el cheapo gear but it works
Well, if you like Green Day, first learn how to make power chords, and then learn some of their stuff. Most of it is pretty easy.
Sending a dummy to my God.

thanks guys. keep the suggestions coming. If possible, could someone compile a list of things I need to learn and in what order I should learn them. thanks all
Learning to play metal riffs is very easy. Just learn the "palm muting" technique to create that chugging sound. Also make sure you know how to play perfect fifths (power chords) and harmonizing in major or minor thirds.

Also, if you don't already know what it is learn about "pedal point".
just make it your goal to learn at least one riff a day, and always make sure you can do all the ones you already know, and make sure they don't sound like crap.
The first riff I would suggest is warning by green day. it's easy even compared to their other songs.

Read this to learn how to read tabs
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/reading_guitar_tablature_ii.html

You don't really need to be able to do much to just play riffs. Just don't play with one finger, use all four
thanks for the help guys. I think my equipment is pretty good but there's so much info on what needs to be learned out there my head is spinning. I just want to achieve my modest goals as this is just my hobby and need direction and an actual list (1-10 or whatever) you guys recommend of what to learn and in what order to reach my goals. thanks
Quote by eddievanzant
just make it your goal to learn at least one riff a day, and always make sure you can do all the ones you already know, and make sure they don't sound like crap.
The first riff I would suggest is warning by green day. it's easy even compared to their other songs.

Read this to learn how to read tabs
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/reading_guitar_tablature_ii.html

You don't really need to be able to do much to just play riffs. Just don't play with one finger, use all four

any links to some good easy riffs i can print. i don't have a PC at home. thanks
will learning to read tablature and progressively harder riffs get me to a point of covering complete songs. thanks
Last edited by SKOOBEY at Aug 4, 2009,
when you read tabs, you can read the song, meaning song is covered?

Unless you want to read the music score for the whole song, then you are still covered on that front.

progressively difficult riffs can help you cover more difficult songs, easy riffs will help you on the easier ones.
Quote by iampeter
when you read tabs, you can read the song, meaning song is covered?

Unless you want to read the music score for the whole song, then you are still covered on that front.

progressively difficult riffs can help you cover more difficult songs, easy riffs will help you on the easier ones.

thanks guys. I feel like Im actually going in a good direction for what i want to do. anybody have a link to some starter to progressively harder rock riffs i can print. thanks all
errm use the tabs section of this site - Its soooo useful its unreal, search for some songs you want to learn and print them off, if they look too complicated put them to one side and move to something else,
-smoke on the water
-iron man
-smells like teen spirit
-highway to hell
-back in black
ect, ect ect.
thanks. I printed off a few intro riffs and songs to keep me busy for a while