Page 1 of 2
Ever since you started playing an instrument (or instuments) do you find the way you listen to music has changed?

I'm asking this after talking to a few people I know that play instuments, and we all agree that now that we know how to play an instrument we'd never be able to listen to music the same way.

I'm not gonna lie, I kind of miss listening to music without understanding what was going on whatsoever.
I used to mostly listen to guitar, but now I try and take it all on equally. I've also started listening to the production a lot more.
Yeah it is different. You can hear the instruments better I think.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Maybe it makes you pay attention to things like playing skillz.

A lot of musicians do have a different perspective on music, but I can't really think of the exact way in which it is different. Maybe it's something people are born with, which inspires them to pick up an instrument, rather than something which develops from playing?

I don't remember how I listened to music before I played guitar, but I still listen to all the same stuff I did back then, so I don't know if my appreciation of music has changed.
i hear each single instrument and just always starting tabbing the songs in my head
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Ohh of course. I listen to the drums, guitars, bass, vocals. But I also listen to the little backround things the put it. And I also try to improvise in my head a new solo over that chord progression and so on.
Yeah totally. I can't listen to U2 without laughing anymore.

I also have found an appreciation for loads more bands than I would have, because if they have a good guitarist I tend to listen to them even if I'm not too keen on the songs, and end up liking them. Still don't like U2 that much though. Sorry Edge, it's just you...suck. Just a little.
I tend to think that the reason i DESPISE certain bands, not because they're bad, but because they are ametuers at music
Quote by CoreysMonster
you know why rabbits are smarter than cows?

fucking cows start moo-ing around for no reason, but rabbits keep their mouth shut until they actually have something to say.

god I hate cows.
yep, i tend to hear the drums and the bass more. i just wish i could turn that part of my mind off.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Quote by guitar-guy01
i hear each single instrument and just always starting tabbing the songs in my head

Same, that's annoying.

Also I don't listen to lyrics anymore and if I'm listening to a song I know how to play, and there's an instrument near me, I pick it up and start playing.

I listen to alot of electro and ambient music now, so it helps me listen more to the music as a whole instead of just the guitars.
TRANSFORMICE

Yea, I got into really technical and shred music because of guitar playing, but I still enjoy nice simple songs aswell.
I think you do appreciate more the instrument part of a song and not just the singing.
No Signature?
Join The Club...
Quote by pawnshopguitars

I also have found an appreciation for loads more bands than I would have, because if they have a good guitarist I tend to listen to them even if I'm not too keen on the songs, and end up liking them. Still don't like U2 that much though. Sorry Edge, it's just you...suck. Just a little.

The Edge doesn't suck... infact, I'm sure he's a lot better than you.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
I've finished an A Level course in Music Technology. I can now hear looped section. I understand ever little detail to it. I hear all the mistakes.

It ruins some songs for me. But then again, it makes me appreciate it more.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
of course you silly man.

*drinks tea*

Made me think of the Holy Grail"You silly Arther king...and your kinniggits!"

On topic i just used to listen to the vocals mostly when i started playing guitar i listen to the whole band and the vocals as a "different track" in my mind.
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
Quote by ZamoraZ

I think you do appreciate more the instrument part of a song and not just the singing.

yeah, that's at least true for me.
I tend to listen to the chord progression and intervals to a song
ya, i agree. I think musicians do listen to music differently. like, it seems like everytime i listen to a song, my mind keys in on 1 specific instrument and trys to decipher what that person is doing. So, i have to listen to the song at least four or five times to get the full effect of what i am listening to, which i enjoy very much
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine
yeah, ever since Ive been able to play guitar, I listen to the drums more...

and ever since my best friend started to play bass, I sometimes end uptrying to pay attention to the bass to see if i can hear it
Bands I must see in concert
Silvertide
The Black Crowes
Jackyl
Black Stone Cherry
AC/DC
StoneRider
Freedomhawk
The Darkness and/or the sideprojects of the band members
Buckcherry
The Answer

Theres more. But those are the main ones
i can't really listen to solos anymore, i almost always start improvising my own solo over the one being played, i do that at live concerts too
yes, and playing guitar got me properly into guitar based music.. and know I listen more so to a guitar line than lyrics.. and it's been that way since I started to play 4 years ago..
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Playing bass, I can pick out bass lines much easier now, and find myself tabing it in my head.

I also hear chord progressions on guitar and think "What kind of bass line could I put on that.."
Before starting guitar I mainly concentrated on the lyrics of songs when listening to them. Now I listen to the guitarwork.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by intentionsthere
Ever since you started playing an instrument (or instuments) do you find the way you listen to music has changed?

I'm asking this after talking to a few people I know that play instuments, and we all agree that now that we know how to play an instrument we'd never be able to listen to music the same way.

I'm not gonna lie, I kind of miss listening to music without understanding what was going on whatsoever.

I agreed with everything you said until the last sentence, I actually enjoy music more now that I know what's going on

Off topic: I was looking through the smilies and why is there a llama?
Last.fm

Baltimore Ravens
Washington Capitals
Baltimore Orioles
Jeff Gordon24
Quote by boreamor
I've finished an A Level course in Music Technology. I can now hear looped section. I understand ever little detail to it. I hear all the mistakes.

It ruins some songs for me. But then again, it makes me appreciate it more.

Oh damn. I wanna be a recording engineer when I'm older. I just realized that my career might ruin music for me. :/
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Of course. I can now recognize things as being unique, or sophisticated, musically that is. Also I can now bash bands actually knowing what I'm talking about.
Quote by God
I'm Omnipotent, which is to say that my dick eats both meat and plants

Ronnie and Steele, Rockstars today aint half as real.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio & Peter Steele
Quote by transplants182
I agreed with everything you said until the last sentence, I actually enjoy music more now that I know what's going on

Off topic: I was looking through the smilies and why is there a llama?

Oh, I enjoy it more too, music has taken a much bigger place in my life and all, but I said I missed it just because I'd like to remember what it was like. I'd like to go back to that for like a day or something, not forever haha.
I agree. I kinda hate learning songs because it kinda ruins that special thing about that song. Then every time I listen to the song after, all I can hear is the guitar and all that I can think about is "This is a easy riff. I can't believe I thought this was creative."

My favorite song is Poison Was The Cure by Megadeth and I will never learn it. I don't want to ruin it.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by pawnshopguitars

Am I the only one here who doesn't like looking at[listening to] songs analytically?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Last edited by ScottB. at Aug 4, 2009,
i don't here the words anymore just the instruments,
Quote by RU Experienced?
I like staring at girls' boobs and seeing how long it takes them to say something and what their reaction is. It's win-win-win

Quote by darkstar2466
I once saw two snails fuck. It was pretty damn cool.
Quote by intentionsthere
Oh, I enjoy it more too, music has taken a much bigger place in my life and all, but I said I missed it just because I'd like to remember what it was like. I'd like to go back to that for like a day or something, not forever haha.

Yeah I guess it would be kinda nice to go back if it was only for a day
Last.fm

Baltimore Ravens
Washington Capitals
Baltimore Orioles
Jeff Gordon24
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
Oh damn. I wanna be a recording engineer when I'm older. I just realized that my career might ruin music for me. :/

So do I

I'm taking a B-Tech next year in Music Technology then moving to Uni to do a MT course there.

It's made me appreciate music a lot more though. To me music is an amazing creation. Listening to all the pieces of music that have pieced together perfectly is quite surreal.

Though it turns you into an audiophile.
I just imagine myself playing them

But whats even worse, is when you first play guitar hero without having played guitar. Then all you see is scrolling rainbows
Quote by ScottB.

Am I the only one here who doesn't like looking at[listening to] songs analytically?

Nope. I don't either.

I just sort of take it in and enjoy it. Over-analysis reminds me of reading poems in English class. FUCK THAT SHIT.
Quote by The Shroom420

But whats even worse, is when you first play guitar hero without having played guitar. Then all you see is scrolling rainbows

Well, what else are you supposed to see?
Quote by sashki
Nope. I don't either.

I just sort of take it in and enjoy it. Over-analysis reminds me of reading poems in English class. FUCK THAT SHIT.

Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Last edited by ScottB. at Aug 4, 2009,
Before starting guitar I didn't like music. I just used to listen to a couple of crap songs every now and then.

Now that I play I carefully hear all instrument, I know if a guitar part is easy or hard, I like better music, etc.
It's not playing an instrument that changed the way I listen to music, it's the music I listened to after the things I used to listen to. A lot of tones I thought were nice now sound weak on a lot of pop things I'd listen to, it's weird.

Like I used to listen to Slipknot way back, and then I got into Death/Brutal death and heard an old Slipknot song. I used to think the vocals were so extreme. Not so much anymore.
i definetly agree with TS.
i cant hear it the same anymore now that i know whats going on =[ and i hate it.
Oh definitely. Now that I've picked up guitar, the vocals/lyrics come as a total afterthought. I focus on what the instruments are doing. The way I listen to music as vastly changed since I started playing.
I'm going to put it this way:
Before I started playing guitar, I loved Green Day.
Now... not so much. I mean, they're all right for what they do, they're just not that good instrumentally.
Although the masters make the rules
For the wise men and the fools
I got nothing, Ma, to live up to.
Page 1 of 2