Page 1 of 3
Some of you may feel that this is blog material, but I really think this is good for an open discussion.

I've been thinking a lot of alcohol and weed and mainly the effect it has on people. Although this will never happen, and because it just would not work, I think they should ban alcohol. I can't think of anything else that has ruined so many lives, caused so many injuries, deaths and regrets other then alcohol. And of course, it's perfectly legal and accepted.

Some people drink it responsibly, as in they enjoy a nice buzz and don't get loaded or too out of their mind. It's just that a large majority of people don't do that. Alcohol ****s up your body and mind. How many times can people say "sorry. I don't remember. I'm not drinking again. I'm only drinking this much. I'm not actually an alcoholic. It's stupid. etc"
And how many bad choices do people make? or wake up with injuries? or do something out of character? I can't see how it helps people at all.

I was never a weed smoker, but I think it's much better then alcohol. How many people smoke weed and want to get violent?
People usually smoke weed and get happy, funny, tired, hungry, relaxed or paranoid. Which is much better then getting angry, aggressive, violent, making choices you would not otherwise do and much more.

I think weed can also be bad if somebody smokes it all the time, but I still believe it's better then alcohol. And is it just me? or do women seem to get REALLY insane when they are drunk? Girls these days are nuts when they get drunk. Guys are just as bad, but in other ways.

So, that's my basic opinion of it. Some might find it redundant and think it's "not even worth discussing" and narrow it down to some simple solution. that's cool, your opinion. I just think it's a pretty big problem and a lot of people are doing it at a younger age.

NOTE: If the sentences look strange, it's because I just wrote this in notepad since I was not sure if I was going to actually make a thread about it.

TL;DR Alcohol has horrible affects and really brings out the worst. Weed makes you more mellow and less violent. Not a VS type thing, just mainly about how alcohol is pretty fowl and causes the worst in people.
I cannot take your formatting decisions seriously. Why do you keep starting a new paragraph halfway through a sentence?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
You don't seem to grasp this concept really. Alcohol does not get people angry, it reduces peoples inhibitions. I am not violent. When I'm drunk, I'm still not violent.

Violent people are even more violent when drunk because they have no inhibition.

Alcohol is NO excuse for beating someone up, cheating on someone, etc.
Quote by ScottB.
I cannot take your formatting decisions seriously. Why do you keep starting a new paragraph halfway through a sentence?

Is it a poem?

I'm gonna try reading it as a poem now.
I powered through that poorly formatted mass of text and I agree. But theres nothing that can be done about it that isn't already being tried, so yeah.

EDIT: Wait, did you say something about making alcohol illegal? **** that. It's calledd moderation people.
Last edited by mental_zer0 at Aug 4, 2009,
Quote by ScottB.

this. i stopped after the first two "lines"
And that's why me and my friends smoke , but we occasionally drink just like 8 beers
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
In my country we murder people like you.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Scissortooth
alcohol is pretty fowl and causes the worst in people.

=

?
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by boreamor
You don't seem to grasp this concept really. Alcohol does not get people angry, it reduces peoples inhibitions. I am not violent. When I'm drunk, I'm still not violent.

Violent people are even more violent when drunk because they have no inhibition.

I agree, and making alcohol illegal would only result in more problems, when the problem could be solved by properly educating people on alcohol, especially the new generation of drinkers.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Ban alcohol because some people abuse it?

People get in car crashes every day, and thousands of people die from them. Cars can ruin peoples lives and tear families apart. Now, do we ban cars because they can hurt people when used irresponsibly? Or do we educate people on how to drive properly and safely, punish those who abuse them, and leave the people who use them in a responsible manner alone?

Freedom is a pretty cool thing, man. Embrace it, and understand that the government really has no business telling me what I can put in my body, as long as I don't hurt other people.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Didn't read, but people should understand that there is a thin line between 'use' and 'abuse'. Human nature is such that it is normally inclined towards the latter.

/dumb rant
Uncle Vernon, Uncle Vernon,
independent as a hog on ice,
He's a big shot down there at the slaughterhouse,
Plays accordion for Mr. Weiss
Weirdest poem I've ever read.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
They tried the whole alcohol being illegal thing. It backfired. Crime went up. The government lost money and gangsters got rich.
See, you are going off of stereotypes it seems. You say the majority of people can't stop drinking and a minority do it in moderation, it is the reverse actually. People who can't control themselves are alcoholics. Also, it shouldn't be banned, I mean sure it's ruined some lives, and it may not be worth it, but it is still the person's choice to drink. It is all about personal decision and personal responsibility. Our government shouldn't decide what to do to protect ourselves from us, it's stupid. Laws should only exist if it prevents a person from harming others, but if a person wants to harm themselves let them.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by boreamor

That drives me up the walls when people pull that crap. I'll admit that Ive done stupid crap like fighting, cheating on people damage to public property etc. But I know I did that rubbish because I wanted to and not because alchol had some magic effect on me.

And to awnser your question t.s alchol is not a problem. People are.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Quote by stuey22
They tried the whole alcohol being illegal thing. It backfired. Crime went up. The government lost money and gangsters got rich.

Yup, and the same thing is happening now because of the illegality of weed.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

I'm not saying "ban" it as I stated it would not work. I'm basically saying, a lot of people abuse it and it causes people to do stupid things on a regular basis. It's done far more bad then good and even if you're not a violent person, or you never get angry drinking, you might someday. Anybody who drinks enough can get set off pretty easy since it takes away your judgement so much. It's just my opinion and things I've noticed.

Again, sorry about the phrasing. I wrote in in notepad first.
Quote by tayroar
See, you are going off of stereotypes it seems. You say the majority of people can't stop drinking and a minority do it in moderation, it is the reverse actually. People who can't control themselves are alcoholics. Also, it shouldn't be banned, I mean sure it's ruined some lives, and it may not be worth it, but it is still the person's choice to drink. It is all about personal decision and personal responsibility. Our government shouldn't decide what to do to protect ourselves from us, it's stupid. Laws should only exist if it prevents a person from harming others, but if a person wants to harm themselves let them.

Well said.

S A D B O Y S
i don't drink ...

i do agree on the fact that if alcohol is legal, weed should be legal as well. it's idiotic to think otherwise. both are substances that alter the mind and both can be harmful to the body. the only reason alcohol is legal is because of the tradition.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by Scissortooth
I'm not saying "ban" it as I stated it would not work. I'm basically saying, a lot of people abuse it and it causes people to do stupid things on a regular basis. It's done far more bad then good and even if you're not a violent person, or you never get angry drinking, you might someday. Anybody who drinks enough can get set off pretty easy since it takes away your judgement so much. It's just my opinion and things I've noticed.

Somebody who's never violent might get violent one day, sober.

S A D B O Y S
now this is why I buy my alcohol, and then lock myself in my apartment and drink by myself. I ensure that I can't ho outside and do anything relatively bad. But yes, alcohol makes people do stupid things, I have seen such things.

Education is the only way, banning it won't help. Where there is a demand, someone will supply it for money.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by Scissortooth

Yes. Alcohol can fuck some people up. This is common knowledge.

What exactly are we going to do about it, now? Because banning it isn't going to help matters.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Songwriting and Lyrics, man.

but really, alcohol isn't a problem if the person isn't a problem.
I don't think alcohol or drugs should be banned at all. People should be free to make their own choices, good or bad. For most people, drinking or getting in high in moderation won't be a problem as long as they don't allow their lives to revolve around it.

Like most things, if you over do it or are prone to addiction, it will become a major problem and seriously damage your mind, body and life (not to mention people around you).

If you educate yourself and enjoy alcohol and/or drugs in moderation you'll most likely be fine. If you over do it and let it run your life you most likely won't be fine.

Survival of the fittest I guess... the stupid weed themselves out (no pun intended).
Scissortooth: i've edited your post to improve the formatting. you have an edit button at the bottom of each post you make - this situation would have been a good time to use it
from daylight...
...into darkness
Quote by Scissortooth

But pointing out how things are isn't really an opinion matter, you say these things, but prove them. Your observations could be false. I definately see them as false, alcohol isn't meant to do good, it's a vice, it's unhealthy we've all been through grade school, I wanna see your evidence that drunks are rageaholics who fight everything. Please research stuff before forming an opinion against something.
Quote by Scissortooth
NOTE : If the sentences look strange, it's because I just wrote this in notepad since I was not sure if I was going to
actually make a thread about it.

Sorry but if you didn't know if you were going to make a thread about it why did you put it into notepad first? Who were you talking [typing] to?

Just edit your post so I can actually read it, thanks

edit : Thank you..
I agree sort of. Alcohol does ruin many many lives and cause lots and lots of violence but like someone else said, alcohol doesn't create violence that isn't already there in the person. And I also agree that weed is much less dangerous/much more beneficial. At the same time though I can't pretend like binge drinking isn't fun so I guess I can't talk much.
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you
On the door of a French Army Barracks: "Alcohol brings out the beast in men." Albert Camus said, "Which is why men like it so much."
Quote by tayroar
But pointing out how things are isn't really an opinion matter, you say these things, but prove them. Your observations could be false. I definately see them as false, alcohol isn't meant to do good, it's a vice, it's unhealthy we've all been through grade school, I wanna see your evidence that drunks are rageaholics who fight everything. Please research stuff before forming an opinion against something.

Sent from my iPad.
Quote by tayroar

False? Do you go out to bars at all? clubs? Ever lived with somebody who had a drinking problem? Ever had a friend who told you about their parents drinking problem? We all know alcohol is bad, it can do this etc.

What I'm trying to get at (I'm just not great with words I guess) is that it's something most people are going to go for. It's legal and easy to get. We all get stressed out and want to relax. Some people smoke weed, some people drink, some people go on medication, some people golf. But the people who are going to chose a substance usually choose alcohol and it's the worst one IMO.

I've gone to parties and have seen people fight. Girls have sex when they don't really want to. people trying to break their arm by running into a wall. people trying to fight other people etc. It turns a majority of people into pricks.

For the people who let alcohol consume their life, yeah, maybe in the end they "weed themself out" but they ruin a lot of other peoples life, too.

Some people are fine with alcohol, others are not. I'm just saying out of all the things people can choose, they usually choose this one and it just seems to be more of a problem these days IMO.

And to Divided. Thank you very much for re phrasing my first post. Seriously, thank you.
So, here my experiences with alcohol:
Teenagers like drinking before they reached the legal age (16 in Austria) to drink. So they make fake student passes to buy alcohol. I've been to 2 parties where everyone was drinking like mad.

On one of those a guy became ill, he was like knocked out, couldn't remember the most what happened before he got drunk.

On the other party a girl got really drunk and was annoying like hell. Another girl started hurting herself, she cut herself. At some points it looked like she wanted to commit suicide.

I can't understand why many people I know are like "I have to drink alcohol, that's sooo good". In the end there's always at least one person who is sick due to drinking.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by magnus_maximus
I'm f*cking doomed. I'm part Scandinavian Islander, part Scottish and part Irish. May as well just tear my liver out now.

R.I.P Magnus's liver, you will be missed

I'm Scottish, but I live in England so my drinking isn't that good anymore. My parents can drink a lot more and they say it's cause people are more used to it in Scotland.

Apparently I sound very Scottish and I act as such more when drunk
Quote by Scissortooth
False? Do you go out to bars at all? clubs? Ever lived with somebody who had a drinking problem? Ever had a friend who told you about their parents drinking problem? We all know alcohol is bad, it can do this etc.

What I'm trying to get at (I'm just not great with words I guess) is that it's something most people are going to go for. It's legal and easy to get. We all get stressed out and want to relax. Some people smoke weed, some people drink, some people go on medication, some people golf. But the people who are going to chose a substance usually choose alcohol and it's the worst one IMO.

I've gone to parties and have seen people fight. Girls have sex when they don't really want to. people trying to break their arm by running into a wall. people trying to fight other people etc. It turns a majority of people into pricks.

For the people who let alcohol consume their life, yeah, maybe in the end they "weed themself out" but they ruin a lot of other peoples life, too.

Some people are fine with alcohol, others are not. I'm just saying out of all the things people can choose, they usually choose this one and it just seems to be more of a problem these days IMO.

And to Divided. Thank you very much for re phrasing my first post. Seriously, thank you.

You're talking about the extremes man. I mean no one denies that alcoholism is bad. It's really not worse these days or anything, and alcohol isn't really the worst thing, I mean there is no legal repurcussion, and many drugs are way beyond what alcohol will do to you.
Here in Holland its a hype to give non-alcoholic school partys or alcoholic ones with a lot of warnings in advance. It doesnt help. Our latest school party was one of those 'warned-your-parents' one, and everyone just drank as much as always.

the people who go out in the weekends in the city I live nearby are getting younger and more aggressive, but fewer fights. It doesn't make any sence.

TS: when I'm out drinking I sometimes indeed feel like I'm the only one who's still thinking. But then again, people tend to think the opposite of me

Oh yeah, Holland likes weed. (but there are strict rules about them, don't get too excited)

EDIT:
Quote by poopsmith666
thats pretty epic actually.

-Cheap classical guitar
-Cheap western
-Ibanez GRX70 jumpstart package
-Shine bass + Eden Nemesis en8jr 25W
Last edited by yottaMax at Aug 4, 2009,
Page 1 of 3