Hi everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade my bass amp to something a little bigger and better. I've been playing for about a year and still use my 15 watt Line 6. I play a Fender J-Bass and am a huge fan of Tim Commerford and that growly tone he's got goin' on. I don't play in a band (other than the occasional jam with a friend or two) and don't really plan to be in one any time soon lol.

So I'm looking for some recommendations as to which direction to take. Gallien-Krueger has got some cool looking stuff, but I'm still ignorant on the topic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
What genre do you play mainly?

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

A lot of rock. Like I said I'm a big fan of Tim Commerford so a lot of Rage and Audioslave. Occasionally I'll play a few basslines to some old school hip-hop.
well first get a sansamp vt pedal, and then get something transparent, like a hartke, or carvin amp.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
It sounds to me like he wants something with a little more character than a Carvin or Hartke. I would look into Ashdown, definitely and MAYBE Ampeg, although I'll never actually recommend one, they may be what you want. Also take a gander at Gallien Krueger too, but I think they might be a little sterile for the sound I'm getting the feeling you want.

The other piece of advice I have is that even though you don't think you're going to be playing with anyone else, don't let that allow you to fall into the "intermediate" amp range. I did that and ended up with a ****ty Fender Rumble that I've regretted ever since. If you're going to buy an amp, buy one that you think will be loud enough, versatile enough and with the sound you're going to want for as far into the future you can see.
I suggested the Vt first. The VT does very good ampeg sounds, and instead of getting a ****ty cheap ampeg combo, he can get the VT and an amp that can be coloured by the VT thus giving him a sound closer to Timmy C than an Ashdown would.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Good, I like the MAG 300 head.

Don't forget you'll only get like 180 watt out of that one speaker.