Hi all,

The basic story is I'm in the middle of trying to convince my parents to let me get a bass guitar. However a big issue with them is that they think I will be too loud when playing it (Sheesh, our shower is louder than the music I listen to).

So I'm wondering, what would be the best amps for the job of keeping it quiet, I know 15 Watts is probably the right way to go (I'll probably not venture far outside my room with it anyway) and is there any other equipment that I could use for it? How would headphones go with an electric bass guitar?

Any help is greatly appriciated ^_^

EDIT: The 'rents are still not buying anything I say about how you can actually control an amp so any general persuasion advice would be fantastic
Last edited by 01000011 at Aug 4, 2009,
Well you should probably take them along with you to the store to show them that you can control the amplifier's volume pretty well. They might be thinking of the general "loud music" stereotype too. So the best way would be to just show them.

Ofcourse, purchasing headphones along with your amp (if it has a headphone jack) would be a good idea as well.
Thanks, the pod looks good but my worry is the price. Unfortunately I am a rather poor teenager at the minute and have to save up my own money (which I do not get much of, I mainly rely on birthday, which is coming up next week, and christmas) in order to buy anything like this.

I was wondering if anyone would have any advice on amps for a fairly cheapish price which are quiet and whether I can just plug headphones in and work like that?

EDIT: I planned to take them along to the music shop but a lot of their amps are quite loud, I'm going to go beforehand (hopefully) with a musical friend ( ) and get their opinion on the stuff in there, the instruments as well as the amps.
Quote by FaisalTMusic
Well you should probably take them along with you to the store to show them that you can control the amplifier's volume pretty well. They might be thinking of the general "loud music" stereotype too. So the best way would be to just show them.

Ofcourse, purchasing headphones along with your amp (if it has a headphone jack) would be a good idea as well.

He might want to stay far away from an actual guitar store if he is trying to purchase something and it has to be quiet. I've seen many new starters showing up at the store with there parents and its never a pretty sight when you have 4 note wonder in the corner on a spider with the volume on ten. The parents in the drum room letting there 8 year old go wild for the first time in his life infront of a full out drum set and then the bass room making the ceiling shake..

Just my .02
Quote by IbanezPsycho
He might want to stay far away from an actual guitar store if he is trying to purchase something and it has to be quiet. I've seen many new starters showing up at the store with there parents and its never a pretty sight when you have 4 note wonder in the corner on a spider with the volume on ten. The parents in the drum room letting there 8 year old go wild for the first time in his life infront of a full out drum set and then the bass room making the ceiling shake..

Just my .02

She*

And our local music shop is very quiet (Every time I go in its like a ghost town @_@) but as I say, I was thinking of going beforehand, making sure the amp actually DOES go quiet enough and asking the lovely guys at the desk for some help on my amp and instrument shopping etc.
Quote by 01000011
She*

And our local music shop is very quiet (Every time I go in its like a ghost town @_@) but as I say, I was thinking of going beforehand, making sure the amp actually DOES go quiet enough and asking the lovely guys at the desk for some help on my amp and instrument shopping etc.

My apologies... I have a bad thing about not checking the username section of the page. Although the word "Sheesh" should of gave it a away.. Oh well

Your so lucky to actually have a quiet store... Our stores here are insanely loud..
She will be using smae store as me and they have a good lot of stuff in there but its not quiet when i get ion there:P Pleanty of small amps in there i think they havan orange crush (or whatever the bass version is) a lot of smaller starter amps as well and some budget bass guitars.

VOX AC15VR
Vintage les paul

Gone digital! NI audio 8 into guitar rig and ableton live!

AWESOME!
I don't mind, most people continue to refer to me as a male no matter how many times I correct them.
But yeah we have a very quiet town too (Besides the vast amount of crime and stabbings but besides that its quite tranquil ) so its very quiet. Gets a bit embarassing sometimes when you're a total music noob like me and then you look at something going "What IS that?!"

By the way, are there any specific brands or wattage I should look at? I imagine a small 15 would be fine. I think if I got too loud I'd move into the garage anyway (Which is basically just another room but not attached, got carpets and stuff so its not like all concrete or anything :P)
Quote by 01000011

By the way, are there any specific brands or wattage I should look at?

There are some orange amps in there like i said and they have some hartke 1s which are too much and some staggs i think. But im not a bassist so let someone else advice you on some good amps:P

VOX AC15VR
Vintage les paul

AWESOME!
Its always a dead zone in there Lewis.

[Back on topic]
And in regards to the Orange Crush amps, I've just had a look at them on the internet but I found that you can also get 'Micro amps' to take places (I.E. holidays, lessons)
Would one of these be better for producing quieter sound?
It would be better but would sound really bad. If you just get asomething like a 15 watt and have it on say around2 in the hosue it will be fine i should say.

VOX AC15VR
Vintage les paul

AWESOME!
Bass guitars in general will make pretty much anything near them resonate and it tends to carry. So even at low volumes and temperamental parent might go off there rocker. Example I had to turn my car radio off a mile from the house just to keep from piss'ing them off lol
They're still not buying it. Every time I try and argue my point I get told to go away.

My Dad seems to understand and says I can go ahead but my Mum has like, complete control over the house which is irritating.
Pfft. I'll probably move into the garage at this rate.

Any other advice for convincing them?

Also, what is it that I would actually need to play with headphones on, any relatively cheap products would be a great help
If I were to get an amp with a speaker defeating headphone output jack then would that basically solve my problem here? (I hate the fact the simple answers are always the last ones I think of)
That way I could use the amp when I want other people to listen and headphones for practicing and the only noise produced would be that of the physical strings, no amplification etc.

Also, if I were to do this are there any specific kinds of headphones I would require or would pretty much any (with the right sized jack obv.) work? I have a handful of standard iPod earbuds and some of those huge f off £30 skull candy headphones although I'm guessing that you're all gunna tell me I'd need to fork out about £100 on a pair of special headphones?
You should consider soundproofing your room :O
Yknow those kinda panels you put around the walls!!? lol
Not very expensive too!
Headphones sound like the perfect answer for you, they were for me and I was in a similar situation.

Next step is to do what I did and 'accidently' buy an amp without a headphone input. What can you do, eh?
Quote by 01000011
If I were to get an amp with a speaker defeating headphone output jack then would that basically solve my problem here? (I hate the fact the simple answers are always the last ones I think of)
That way I could use the amp when I want other people to listen and headphones for practicing and the only noise produced would be that of the physical strings, no amplification etc.

Also, if I were to do this are there any specific kinds of headphones I would require or would pretty much any (with the right sized jack obv.) work? I have a handful of standard iPod earbuds and some of those huge f off £30 skull candy headphones although I'm guessing that you're all gunna tell me I'd need to fork out about £100 on a pair of special headphones?

With the Acoustic B10, it's just a standard headphone jack. But if it does have a larger jack like a cable sized jack, you can get an adapter for less than $5.
Yeah, you will need to use a 1/4 inch jack (you can buy these at pretty much any electronics shop).
If you need it really quiet, why bother with an amp at all? That way you could spend the left over money on a better instrument which will last you longer.

You really don't need an amp to learn on, especially with bass.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Last edited by FischmungaXTR at Aug 4, 2009,
Due to my (Severe) lack of cash I've been looking at Gear 4 Music starter packs and those amps have a 1/4" jack. (When I say I'm poor, I mean it. I have about £10 at the moment and won't be getting much for my birthday)

I have no issue with using headphones though. I use them almost all the time with my laptop because I prefer the sound quality (Its more direct and doesn't distort as much. Easier to control volume too) so I think that getting one with a headphone jack would be my ideal solution.

EDIT: The thing is I would like to have an amp so that if I ever feel like I can perform (We do a lot of school concerts and stuff and I have quite a few musical friends who would probably want to form a band when we all get good enough) then I would be able to without having to wait 'til I have another shedload of cash flow to my feet (Haha I wish ) to get one.
Ah, but the problem with these 15w starter pack amps is that they're not loud enough to play concerts with (especially bass amps, they need at least 2x as much wattage as a guitar amp in order to keep up).

However, if the venue you are playing at has a decent PA system, you should be able to plug your bass straight into that and get ample volume.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
To be perfectly honest the venue would probably be my lounge on special ocassions or if I'm lucky the school which insist you use their crappy equipment instead (although the amps aren't too bad there)

But if I were to go into playing properly such as in a band or doing concerts, gigs etc. then I would begin to invest in better quality equipment overall. Its just something I want to relax with or something to keep me away from my damn addictive laptop and school work (Yes. I just said schoolwork is addictive.)
To answer your question, you can plug regular headphones into either the amp or the POD. Just go spend $5 on a 1/8" to 1/4" STEREO adapter. Like this one for example (I know you're in the UK, but this should let you know what you're looking for). That will let you hear what you're doing through the amp without incurring parental wrath.

As for the starter pack, that'll probably work to get yourself started. Just be aware that it won't take you too long before you're wanting to get something better. It ends up being a question of whether or not you spend $120 now and $200+ later, or just save $200ish and get something better to start off with.... which is really just a question of how quickly you can save. I've never used any of of the G4 stuff, so I've no idea what it's quality is like.... but my 100%-shot-in-the-dark-guess is that it's borderline crap.

Shop around and see what a bit more money will get you, and weigh that against the time it'll take for you to get that extra bit of money.

For example, most people on these boards seem to like the Squier P-bass, which would run you 155+tx. You could then snag some advice from some of the more knowledgeable folks on here as to what kind of decent amp you could get for the P-bass.

G4M sells a fairly cheap one for 55 that is likely better than the practice amp they include in their starter packs (though I honestly have no idea, since I'm not all that up to snuff on bass gear). Or you could snag one of these for $45 and connect your bass to your lappy. I've got a similar piece of gear, and I use it far more than either of my amps ... especially when I'm trying to learn a song for which I don't have the proper effects pedals (pretty much all of them). Since that USB connector (and the one I have) comes with software that models a TON of different amps and effects. Plus it lets you record and more easily play along with music.
Last edited by havokca at Aug 5, 2009,
Quote by stykerwolf
Yeeeah, those don't do much you know....

+1

Pretty much just helps absorbing noise and by changing its characteristic. Cancels out some of the echoing, reverberation and reflections. But it does nothing for actual sound reduction...