Page 1 of 2
After talking to two different guitar techs in my town, and getting completely different information from both, I feel like I should ask some people who have played with the Floyd Rose bridges. Apparently it takes time to get used to the bridge, and to learn how to set it up properly... but is it worth the time taken for the benefits from it?

My other concern is I've been told you can't rest your palm on the bridge at all, since it's a floating bridge... does this effect your ability to palm-mute on the thing? Any advice from players who use a Floyd Rose would be great.
No, no, absoloutely not, words cannot express how not worth it they are

I know how to set it up, and it is set up perfectly - but
The intonation ****s up after about 20 hours of play
There is virtually no sustain
Palm muting is much harder
And to top it all, once, I do a big pull up on it, and bang - the neck just snaps!
Quote by Ikonoklast
Tie her up and drive her into some woods, pour petrol over her and then ask her if she wants you back.

Anyone in Birmingham, England meet up for a Jam?

Quote by uk.mace
My hand gave me a handjob

Won't give me a f*cking blowjob though
You can definitely palm mute on it, you just need a lighter touch (which you should have anyway, if you're doing it right). Not that big a deal.

I have one and so far it's not so bad. It stays in tune nicely even when I use it heavily, and sounds amazing to use. It'll take longer to tune and restring, and you do have to fiddle with it to get everything balanced and set up correctly, so that would take a lot more effort and some learning, but it shouldn't be too bad. However, be sure that you plan to use the trem a lot when you play.
It took me about a week and a half to get it down dairly well. As long as you're not planning on changing string sizes or tunnings every 30 secondsn you'll be fine. Suggest staying with one tuning and one size of string (preferably stay with the same brand) and you'll be fine.

As per the palm muting, you just have to find the spot by the saddles that it sounds the best. Plus you shouldn't be pushing down on the bridge (too hard) when you're palm muting
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by MrToucan
And to top it all, once, I do a big pull up on it, and bang - the neck just snaps!

What do you mean by the neck snaps? Are you meaning you actually snapped the neck of your guitar in half? Or it creaks? Cause if its a creak whenever you go hard down to hard up (or vice versa) it just means your locking nut is too tight. I had that problem when I first got mine. Then I learned you only tighten the nut so far, just enough to stop the strings from moving around.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
How can you tell the nut is tightened just right?

And yeah I'd say the biggest disadvantage of the FR trem is that it's tougher to switch tunings and string gauges because you have to play around with it until it's balanced correctly. If you use the same tuning and gauge all the time, that's not much of an issue.
Quote by MrToucan

Its wierd... Out of all my experience with FR's.. None of that has ever happened to me...

Something says you don't know how to set it up perfectly.... Obviously...

TS, Yes they're worth it... At first there annoying because you don't know what your doing, But the more you work with it, the more it becomes second-nature.

Quote by The Red Comet

Pluck the string, and then press on the string behind the nut. If there is no change in pitch, it's tight enough.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Last edited by biga29 at Aug 4, 2009,
i have one, its not as hard to maintain as some make it seem. palm muting is just like any other bridge ive played, its not any harder. i do prefer kahler tremolos because they are easier to set up and imo are easier to use.
Quote by The Red Comet

It takes some getting used to. How I learned was you get it all tuned up, tighten the nut a little bit, push the trem arm down, and see if the strings on the headstock loosen up too. If the do, re-tune, and tighten a little more till it doesn't move. Then remember how much pressure you used to tighten it. Its usually just finger tight, then lightly press on the allen key with your thumb. But again, it's something you have to get used to
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks

are you trolling?

get OFR or Kahler and it will sound good for sure
through 3-4 springs in there and no troubles with PM

Do the nuts have to be perfectly straight and parallel with one another?
why would they have to? tighten them enough so you are sure it will hold tuning and you are done
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
i am curious how clever you have to be to say there's no sustain and PM is impossible
listen to 80s thrash metal, almost all bands play with FR
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

pedals are stupid
Meh, I had a very nice guitar with a OFR, and play metal... wasn't worth it to me.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Working with a FR is just like learning to play guitar. The more you do it the better you will get at it. Also, just as a better quality instrument will enhance your playing experience, so will a better quality FR.
Seriously, I'm in the band.
jesus, whats so complicated about it? you dont have to be adeptus mechanicus to get it work

pedals are stupid
The real question is it worth it to you. If you dont use the trem much, or change tuning a bunch then no. If you abuse trems with constant wankery and are ok with the extra work it involves for set up then yeah there is nothing better. I honestly hated mine before I got the setup thing down but after that they are awesome, just imagine no more tuning every five seconds.
Quote by The Red Comet
Do the nuts have to be perfectly straight and parallel with one another?

As straight as you can get them. They don't have to be perfect, but you want them so hold the strings in place. So no they don't have to be perfectly straigh and parallel, just try to get them as straight as you can with out trying supper hard
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Not worth it man

Ive been playing a guitar with a FR for a couple years. I love the guitar but hate the bridge. Mostly because i cant change the tuning. The only real plus is that you dont need to tune very often.

If you use the bar and play in one tuning most of the time go for it, if not, dont buy it
Quote by Regensgeliebte
jesus, whats so complicated about it? you dont have to be adeptus mechanicus to get it work

Awww, I knew sending my guitar to Mars for setup was a rip-off...
Thay are worth it.

If you can take the time (years in my case) to learn how to play a guitar, then you should be willing to put forth the effort to learn how to set up your guitar perfect for you....whether it be a floating tremelo or not.

I have never came home with a guitar and thought it was set up right for me.

Everything you can do with a non floating trem you can do with a floating trem except go out of tune as often.
Yes they are.
The problem with Floyd Roses is, that people are too stupid to do the research before buying one. I`ve never seen a claim that it's easy to change tunings with floyd roses because it is simply not. If you are 100 % sure that tuning problems won't alter you, and you will actually use the bridge, then go for it, otherwise - do not.
Again, everyone who complains about his floyd rose, was just plainly stupid to not to get a general picture of what he is getting into.
Quote by KreatorRage
For a Metal guitarist it's definately worth it.

How so? I often switch tunings a lot to play metal, I just don't see how the FR makes an advantage.
Quote by kaossurge
How so? I often switch tunings a lot to play metal, I just don't see how the FR makes an advantage.

I think he means for tuning stability with big bends and tremolo wankery, not changing tunings.
In my opinion they are worth it.

Maybe just because I want a guitar with FR myself.
But yeah, your guitar will stay in tune much longer, you can do crazy effects with the trem. Also I played a guitar with FR myself, and didn't notice any difference in normal playing and palm mutings compared to my SG.
But the thing about changing tunings is right, you have to keep the tuning and string gauge all the time.

There are people who like them and people who don't like them.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Floating bridges are pain in the butt to have but if you must have then you must have. I mean, you can't do any of those heavy whammy effects with fixed or traditional trem bridges.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

They are worth it especially if you like to spice up what you are playing with cool sounding details. After all it is the small details that make a lead memorable.

Also keep in mind it is only worth it if you get a good trem. Original Floyd Rose, Kahler, or Lo Pro Edge are awesome trems.
Thanks guys. Only asking really 'cause most of the guitars I'm looking at getting right now have Original Floyd Rose as a stock bridge... I don't use the tremolo much, but when I do on my current guitar, I can hear the strings going right out of tune.
Facts:

1. They are tricky to setup initially -but again, I betcha there more than a couple of us for whom it was tricky to change strings on a friggin' ToM when we started playing -and we are not willing to admit it

2. You get what you pay for. And I think when it comes to floating trems its more relevant than with any other component. I went from a LOwly-TRS2 to a Schaller OFR. Night and day difference in how well the Schaller unit holds tuning and returns to pitch.

3. You can palm mute just fine and apply the same pressure you do on a fixed bridge, as long as you don't use angel-hair-thin string gauge, and you have enough tension through your springs. If its set up light, you'll end up going out of pitch.

4. For those bitching about not being able to change tuning easily: what were you thinking?! I'll gladly take your FR guitar off your hands since its so much suffering for you. I'll pay S&H so you can make room on your collection for something else more suitable to your likings.

Done & cheers!
Dont forget...if you absolutely end up despising it. There are many products to block off the trem...and you can do it a homemade way.
Floyd's are not troublesum, they are to people who have no clue what they are doing and don't give themselves times to do things right, instead just try and rush through. You really shouldn't judge something on how hard it is. For a floyd, you should know if your going to use it or not.
Quote by Ghold125
Floyd's are not troublesum, they are to people who have no clue what they are doing and don't give themselves times to do things right, instead just try and rush through. You really shouldn't judge something on how hard it is. For a floyd, you should know if your going to use it or not.

They're not rocket science, but they're no TOM. They're only troublesome in comparison to simpler bridges. But, at least they're not a Jaguar trem.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
After a while you will figure out the Floyd trems and how to change tunings. I have 9-42 Ernie Ball super slinkies on my schecter and I can use the fine tuners to change from E standard to drop D in about 30 seconds.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Some of these posts are ridiculous. No sustain my butt.

EDIT: I've been thinkin' Ed and ya know that first Van Halen album would have been so much better if you had used a guitar with well maybe afixed bridge? Yeah right.
Last edited by BobDetroit at Aug 4, 2009,
Yes and no.

If you like staying in one tuning and STAYING there, by all means, get it.
If you want to change tunings, look elsewhere. I have a Gotoh Wilkinson VS100 on my self-built guitar... Stays in tune very well with locking tuners.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I think it is. But I wouldn't have it on all my guitars, in fact I recently got my first Floyd guitar and it's pretty fun to play with. It's a Schaller Floyd though, I've never actually dealt with lower quality ones so I wouldn't know anything about that.
Quote by starving_artist
i might be completely wrong, but wouldnt a EVH D-tuna help with the drop d aspect of the FR?

Pretty sure that only works with FR that are only dive only so yeah.

Anyway too much floyd rose hating here sure they're not everyone's cup of tea but **** me dead you guys make it out to be the worst bridge that their is.
Page 1 of 2