im looking to replace my pickups in my mim fender fat strat. ive read alot about different pickups but i dont know what to get. someone recommended a seymour duncan JB or invader for the humbucker. im pretty set on getting a seymour duncan but i dont know which one. i know there are also other kinds. also i was thinking of getting the fender hot noiseless for the neck and middle pickups but these are pretty expensive. are there any comparable pickups for a tighter budget? thanks in advance for your insight!

special ned
what amp do you have?
what genre do you play?
Quote by AmericanParadox
cuztomizing guitars = best thing in the world. Better than sex.

GB&C RULES

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Fr
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Boss Ds-1
Digitech RP55
Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon
Ibanez Fz7 Fuzz
Marshall MG10CD 40W
Modded POS Strat
He obviously plays metal as he's thinking about JB or Invader. Just need to know amp.

JB is good. Invader is OK (I hate it). Duncan Distortions ****ing owns all passives IMO. Super clean on clean, and awesome distortion on OD because of alder/poplar/ash bodies. It's really good for those kinds of bodies like a strat because they're naturally bright anyways. And despite the name, it has more headroom than the JB or any other passive I've ever tried. As for the singles, you can get like hot rails off of ebay for like $30+shipping each used.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
He obviously plays metal as he's thinking about JB or Invader.
Your "obvious" conclusion is not supported by the facts:
Quote by specialned
someone recommended a seymour duncan JB or invader for the humbucker.
1 - TS has not said anything other than someone recommended them.

2 - Tons of people recommend the pickups they use, regardless if it's appropriate for the application others might use it for.

3 - JB is not exclusively used for metal.

Let's wait until TS tells us what genre(s) he plays before telling other people what YOU think he plays, k? Even if he does play metal, he might also play classic rock as well. Only he can tell us what his complete needs are.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
i really dont play much metal. i play all kinds so i want the guitar to be pretty versatile. but i do want the humbucker to be good for hard rock stuff. i have a marshall mg250dfx
prepare to get flamed. I wouldn't have said the amp if I were you. but I will help by saying. the Dimarzio Air Norton is a very versatile humbucker.
Oh Hey look at my signature
oh yes. The pyrophillic amps are mg's and spiders. I say phooey. If you can't afford a new amp, just buy one pup and save up for an amp. Pickups are under $100 anyways and are under $50 used.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
haha i know the amp isnt great. i didnt know squat about amps when i got it and it was the biggest marshall i could afford
Quote by specialned
haha i know the amp isnt great. i didnt know squat about amps when i got it and it was the biggest marshall i could afford

XD. yeah it happens to most people. I want a Fender and a Marshall!! And then you buy them and they suck. I got a starcaster for a first guitar.

In seriousness, I'd try to buy a new amp as soon as possible. If you're OK with your tone, then keep it, but subjectively, most people don't really like the tone.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I don't want to sound too much like a broken record here but, as someone here once said, a pickup change is for perfecting your tone. You need an amp you like to get you in the right area and then a pickup change for tiny things.

If you don't like the tone your gear is producing, how do you know it is the guitars pickups that hurting your tone? You haven't even stated why you want to change your pickups. I recommend taking your guitar to a shop and trying out a fair few more expensive (valve) amps. You'll probably be really impressed by a how good a decent amp can make a cheap(ish) guitar sound. One last argument is that your amp will not allow the tonal benfits of a pickup change to be noticed. The money spent would be a waste.

As for a new amp for you: What is your budget? Will you be gigging? Recording? As much information as possible really.
Well, it will better the tone see.. It always changes the tone for better when switching out crappy pickups, no matter the amp. However, the tonal change is not going to be what you want. Usually, you only change pickups if you like the tone, but you want a little bit more or less sustain, gain, and certain EQ aspects.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
i dont really have the budget for a better amp right now which is why i wanted to change the pickups. apak, i think your right that it will better my tone because the stock pickups on the mim strat are kinda crappy. for future reference though, what are your suggestions for amps? i know its all about preference, but id just like to know whats out there
get a jb for the Humbucker and use the other single coils to pan out your versatility. im not sure about single coils tho
Quote by AmericanParadox
cuztomizing guitars = best thing in the world. Better than sex.

GB&C RULES

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Fr
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Boss Ds-1
Digitech RP55
Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon
Ibanez Fz7 Fuzz
Marshall MG10CD 40W
Modded POS Strat
You want hot pickups or what?

For hot pickups I recommend duncan distortion or maybe JB. Hot rails or little jb in mid and little 59 in neck. But if I were you, I'd only buy a bridge pickup and save for an amp. Maybe a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or even a Mesa.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
look at bareknuckle pickups. thats what i want but they are out of my price range
Dimarzio Cruisers are some of the best rail-system pickups I've heard.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Quote by mcrfobtai
I have a Pro Junior.
Almost the same thing. Sort of.

But I do love BJ's. Great amps.
Everyone likes BJ's.

EVERYONE!!!!
You might not have the budget now, so save. If you spend every peeny you get as soon as you get it, you'll never get anything worth while.

And I'll say it again. How do you know what it is about your tone that you want to improve? You haven't even stated it yet. "Kinda Crappy"? Does that mean not enough output? Does that mean not enough lows? Or what? Seriously. There is no point getting a new pickup yet in my opinion. By all means go out and waste £60 on a JB. You'll be kidding yourself if you hear £60 worth of tonal benefit.

I sound kind of abrasive as hell there but its all with the best possible motives. Could some more knowladgable people come and correct me?
No, you're right supergerbil. TS, you really aren't going to here a big difference in your tone until you upgrade your amp. There are plenty of cheap tube amps out there. You could look for a used Crate V series or a Crate Palimino, Blackheart, B-52, Epi Valve Junior, Peavey Valveking, Peavey Windsor, Blackstar. Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. After you get a nicer amp you could then look at improving your tone with new pickups, but you may find you actually like the sound of your guitar when you're playing through a better amp.
Quote by supergerbil
You might not have the budget now, so save. If you spend every peeny you get as soon as you get it, you'll never get anything worth while.

And I'll say it again. How do you know what it is about your tone that you want to improve? You haven't even stated it yet. "Kinda Crappy"? Does that mean not enough output? Does that mean not enough lows? Or what? Seriously. There is no point getting a new pickup yet in my opinion. By all means go out and waste £60 on a JB. You'll be kidding yourself if you hear £60 worth of tonal benefit.

I sound kind of abrasive as hell there but its all with the best possible motives. Could some more knowladgable people come and correct me?
The bolded part is the only thing I (sort of) disagree with.

Pickups will always make a difference.
More of a difference with a better amp, for certain.
Will the difference with a crappy amp be worth £60 to THIS guy? I can't say.

How do you know what it is about your tone that you want to improve?

This is huge ^

Just because a pickup has more output doesn't make it a better choice, tonally.
In fact, TS could be moving further away from getting the tone he's looking for by just blindly taking advice based on other users' personal preferences.

Honestly, Ned, I'd suggest taking your guitar to a store that sells used amps. Try out a few small tube amps. Crank that shit. See what you think. It doesn't cost a dime to try them out.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
The bolded part is the only thing I (sort of) disagree with.

Pickups will always make a difference.
More of a difference with a better amp, for certain.
Will the difference with a crappy amp be worth £60 to THIS guy? I can't say.

How do you know what it is about your tone that you want to improve?

This is huge ^

Just because a pickup has more output doesn't make it a better choice, tonally.
In fact, TS could be moving further away from getting the tone he's looking for by just blindly taking advice based on other users' personal preferences.

Honestly, Ned, I'd suggest taking your guitar to a store that sells used amps. Try out a few small tube amps. Crank that shit. See what you think. It doesn't cost a dime to try them out.

I agree with everything here. Pickups always make a difference.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack