so I've noticed that theres some silver stuff accumulating on my pickups, I know that they're magnetic and all, so I'm thinking its the strings plating or w/e. Anywho is this harmful? And how would i go about removing it?

Sry no pics, dont have access to a camera for a while
Until i see pics all i can say is that the silver bits on PUPS are magnets
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
i'd it brush it lightly with clothes brush (i dont know how its called properly in english) and then a layer of clear nail lacquer to protect the magnets
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
Use a stronger magnet and pull it off. It's probably fibers off the string collecting.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Use a stronger magnet and pull it off. It's probably fibers off the string collecting.

i'd be afraid to do it. it can affect pickups' magnetic properties
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
Quote by Regensgeliebte

Uhh, no.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Quote by TheBax
why not just wipe it over with a fucking rag or something?

What this guy said it's not like your pickups will blow up or anything or the guitar won't suddenly work anymore.
Quote by Regensgeliebte

how could metallic string residue affect a pickups magnet.
Keeping a pickup close to a large magnet over time will cause it to eventually lose some of its higher frequencies (to kind of answer the debate above)

that's why you are not supposed to lean your guitar against a speaker cab for long periods of time
Quote by darkcheef
how could metallic string residue affect a pickups magnet.

He meant using a stronger magnet than the ones in the pups to lift the residue off the pups.I'm no pup expert,but holding a magnet strong enough to break their bond on something and then pick it up probably isn't a good idea.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Juadafi
Uhh, no.

Uhh, yes.

You can demagnetise and magnetise a pup if you wave a significantly stronger magnet over it. It can even change the polarity direction of your pup magnets.

Don't do it.

That said, I don't understand why no one has suggested this. Get a piece of blu-tack or a strip of ducttape, stick it over your pups, and then pull it off. Any residual stuff will be pulled off, magnetic or not.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Uhh, yes.

You can demagnetise and magnetise a pup if you wave a significantly stronger magnet over it. It can even change the polarity direction of your pup magnets.

Don't do it.

That said, I don't understand why no one has suggested this. Get a piece of blu-tack or a strip of ducttape, stick it over your pups, and then pull it off. Any residual stuff will be pulled off, magnetic or not.

Why use something that could leave a sticky residue on your pups when you could just use a cloth?

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Why use something that could leave a sticky residue on your pups when you could just use a cloth?

Because if the residual is magnetic, even if you clean it with a cloth, there's no guarantee that it will come off. It may be cleaned off one magnetic pole to be stuck onto another, or be pulled back by the magnetic field.

However, if you use something which is sticky, it will likely get a good grip on the residual stuff.

If you're concerned about using ducttape, use sticky tape or masking tape. If you apply it for a couple of seconds, which is more than enough for the tape to grab hold of the residuals, no sticky residue will be left on your pups. Even ducttape doesn't leave residue if you have it on for a couple of seconds.

Plus blu-tack definitely does not leave any residue.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Because if the residual is magnetic, even if you clean it with a cloth, there's no guarantee that it will come off. It may be cleaned off one magnetic pole to be stuck onto another, or be pulled back by the magnetic field.

However, if you use something which is sticky, it will likely get a good grip on the residual stuff.

If you're concerned about using ducttape, use sticky tape or masking tape. If you apply it for a couple of seconds, which is more than enough for the tape to grab hold of the residuals, no sticky residue will be left on your pups. Even ducttape doesn't leave residue if you have it on for a couple of seconds.

Plus blu-tack definitely does not leave any residue.

Hmm,I see your point,but a cloth has always worked fine for me.All you have to do is be a bit more thorough.Both methods work I guess,so yay TS,you now have two solutions

Quote by Pr0gNut
Hmm,I see your point,but a cloth has always worked fine for me.All you have to do is be a bit more thorough.Both methods work I guess,so yay TS,you now have two solutions

I sorta know how you clean with a cloth, but I find that even with the super-absorbent microfibre cloth, it takes a lot more effort. Plus, it always leaves ONE stray magnetic piece that can never seem to get off.

I just prefer to stick a masking tape over the pickup, then pull it off, it gets the magnetic pieces off as well as dust. Then its a matter of a quick rub down and the pups are clean.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
I sorta know how you clean with a cloth, but I find that even with the super-absorbent microfibre cloth, it takes a lot more effort. Plus, it always leaves ONE stray magnetic piece that can never seem to get off.

I just prefer to stick a masking tape over the pickup, then pull it off, it gets the magnetic pieces off as well as dust. Then its a matter of a quick rub down and the pups are clean.

Now if only they could find an easy way to get dust out of all the little nooks and crannies of a floyd....

It's damn near impossible as far as I know

I know a good way to get rod of it. It's probably just metal shards, or something. Get some Blu-tac and blob it on and around the pups to remove it.
Quote by maiden03
Ahhh damn you vinc3nt!

Downpressor man

Where you gonna run to

All along that day

੧_\\\
Quote by Pr0gNut
Now if only they could find an easy way to get dust out of all the little nooks and crannies of a floyd....

Oh there is... its this product called Cyber-clean.

Apparently its a Swiss innovation.

Its like super jelly putty, and it conforms to the shape of what you're slapping it on, picks up all the dust and grime, then when you pull the putty off, the dust and grime comes off.

Easy as pie.

Cyber Clean homepage

I've used it on my Ibanez RG and it got ALL the dust and grime out. Its spanking new now. I suppose its supposed to kill germs too... but that's a plus point.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Aug 5, 2009,
Quote by Pr0gNut

endust
(although I don't know if this is still on the market)
Quote by ragingkitty
Oh there is... its this product called Cyber-clean.

Apparently its a Swiss innovation.

Its like super jelly putty, and it conforms to the shape of what you're slapping it on, picks up all the dust and grime, then when you pull the putty off, the dust and grime comes off.

Easy as pie.

Cyber Clean homepage

I've used it on my Ibanez RG and it got ALL the dust and grime out. Its spanking new now. I suppose its supposed to kill germs too... but that's a plus point.

I may have to check this stuff out,not that trem dust is a huge issue,it just annoys me slightly every time I look at my trem.

Quote by Pr0gNut
not that trem dust is a huge issue,it just annoys me slightly every time I look at my trem.

I know the feeling very well.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )