Hey guys, so I think it's time for me to finally upgrade from my MIM strat.

I've got a pretty big budget (about $1500 CAN, could be a little more, but let's keep it under $2000).

I play a lot of things ; modern rock (Alter Bridge, 3 doors down, Jet, etc..), hard rock (GnR, AC/DC), Metal (Metallica, A7X), classic rock, and I'm getting into a little bit of shred (Vai and satch mostly).

So I need something pretty versatile, maybe not the Br00talz, because I dont really play death metal, but still something that is at it's best with a fair to high amount of distortion. I also need a somewhat fast neck because like I said above, I'm getting into a little bit of shred..

I also need great cleans for my softer rock stuff (RHCP and the like..)

I'm willing to buy used (in fact, I would prefer that..)
I've already looked and I could have a Gibson Les Paul Standard (could it go heavy enough?, and does it really cut through, it's a pretty deep tone, also is the neck fast enough?) for something like 1700-1800 used.
There's also an ESP Horizon NT-II for 1600 used (the one with the duncans, not the EMGs)
Any other suggestions? I'm open to everything for the moment

P.S. No active pickups plz!!

EDIT : My amp is a Traynor YCV50 blue
1, a7x is far from metal, and 2, i would suggest looking into ibanez if you are getting into vai and satch, there are barely any ibanez guitars with active pick-ups also
Do you care about the amount of frets or if it has a whammy bar/Floyd Rose?
cig
Don't really care about the amount of frets, at least 22, but if it has 23 or 24 it's fine with me.

I'd prefer no floyd/whammy, a hardtail is what I'm looking for (my MIM strat has a Floyd and I'm always having problem with it plus I'm not using my whammy very often so..)

I don't know about Ibanez, I find their tone thin.. (never really tried one in my price range though..)

Also for Caparisons or Carvin, any specific model I should be looking at?
I'm thinking of a 60's re-issue SG if you can find one. Slickest neck ever and it will cover most of your sounds, though not quite as clean as the LP. Any Gibson should have enough cut for you and certainly will be heavy enough.
If you prefer the modern styles with longer scale, I'd look at anything with active pups. My own Cort has an amazing neck and the satin finish is very fast. Anyone who says actives can't do cleans has never turned the vol down.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

ugh, 60's re-issue SG are pretty hard to find used around here, and a new one is too expensive I think...

So I guess you're suggesting the LP then?
Quote by wannabe#1
Don't really care about the amount of frets, at least 22, but if it has 23 or 24 it's fine with me.

I'd prefer no floyd/whammy, a hardtail is what I'm looking for (my MIM strat has a Floyd and I'm always having problem with it plus I'm not using my whammy very often so..)

I don't know about Ibanez, I find their tone thin.. (never really tried one in my price range though..)

Also for Caparisons or Carvin, any specific model I should be looking at?

go on the carvin website, they have loads of models that are all fully customisable. and with your price range you could get one hell of a sexy guitar.
There's been a slight drop in my budget, it's now more like $1300 tops :S...

So those carvins are now out of question (though I agree they look sexy!)
But I may have something here : an ESP Eclipse-II with a Jazz pickup (neck) and a Dimarzio Breed (bridge), with sperzel locking tuners, etc.. great specs.. for 1300$
I could always use my MiM strat for the cleaner/classic rockish stuff
Would this be a good idea or would the guitar would the pickups be too "metal" for my styles (still better than EMGs..)?
Last edited by wannabe#1 at Aug 5, 2009,
Fast Neck
Versatility (clean to classic rock to metal)
Quality..

Ernie Ball Music Man Axis (EVH model, or Standard Axis, or even Axis Supersport)

Look no further. I own a SuperSport, friggin fantastic guitar.
Neck is NOT finished with any laquer. Just Gunstock Oil and Wax.
Awesome feel, extremely fast.

Can be found used on Ebay within your price range.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Used PRS Custom 24 off eBay

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.