Alright so im looking into buying a new (maybe used) electric guitar. I would like a nice tremolo bridge along with great playability. So off the bat Fender looks like the obvious choice but I feel fender strats could just be the pepsi of sodas. So really Im wondering whats so great about fender? currently im looking at fender strats for 500 on sweet water http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratSTMAW/

which is a little over what I want to spend but managable. The other side of this is that ive been reading up on some Ibanez guitars and they seem pretty sound, I played a nice Ibanez RG something at a local music store and was very impressed. As of right now I think the Ibanez s320 looks like my best bet for the money but really whats the difference between the two? I know strats have that different floating bridge which Iv had a somewhat bad experience with. have afender starcaster (nubguitar) which went out of tune constantly and the bridge was pulled so high up I had to add an extra 2 springs to hold to almost where its suppose to be. But then again a real strat im sure is made with better quality. Opposed to the ibanezs ZR bridge which has good reviews or a floyd rose which also got good talk.

So come on fellow UGers, fender or ibanez? advantages? disadvantages? similarities? differences? neither?

Thank you for your time, much appreciated
Outside the side box that's outside your sky box.
I hate Fender, they make conformity guitars. If you want tremelo, Fenders can't stay in tune very well because a Fender tremelo doesn't have a locking nut. The Ibanez Edge III tremelo system is based off of the Floyd Rose, but has cheaper parts. The ZR system is available on the S series of Ibanez. You should get an Ibanez S470, it's a reliable, playable guitar.
no a real strat is same quality as a "real" high-end ibanez
what do you play? fender and ibanez do guitars for [mostly] totally different music

I hate Fender, they make conformity guitars. If you want tremelo, Fenders can't stay in tune very well because a Fender tremelo doesn't have a locking nut.

lolwut
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
Quote by MetaMegaMagic
I hate Fender, they make conformity guitars.

I think I need to sig this
Quote by MetaMegaMagic
I hate Fender, they make conformity guitars. If you want tremelo, Fenders can't stay in tune very well because a Fender tremelo doesn't have a locking nut. The Ibanez Edge III tremelo system is based off of the Floyd Rose, but has cheaper parts. The ZR system is available on the S series of Ibanez. You should get an Ibanez S470, it's a reliable, playable guitar.

wow
Quote by stephen_rettie
against the rules,

*reported*

This isn´t against the rules - the thread has a point.

If it was just OMG WHICH COMPANY U LIEK MOAR... Then it is against the rules.
It all depends what music you want to play? If it was me i would take the fender. If you are into metal and stuff go with an RG. A strat will not work as good for that. So it basically just depends on what you want to play.
against the rules,

*reported*

go report the whole forum
thread HAS meaning
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

pedals are stupid
Quote by MetaMegaMagic

yeah, because they were making conformity guitars before there was anything to conform to...

on topic, Ibanez has the better tremolos, i love fenders but their trems suck
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by MetaMegaMagic

Are you serious? but.. Fender trems stay in tune awesome? have you ever actually tried one? conformity guitars? They are the single most customizable guitar there is! That's why they have bolt on necks and pickguards! what the hell man. if anything ibanez are conformity guitars!
on topic, Ibanez has the better tremolos, i love fenders but their trems suck

they suit the music they are made for

pedals are stupid
Quote by Regensgeliebte

they suit the music they are made for

Yeah, for the most part ibanez (until you get into the prestige series) tremolos are **** pot-metal licensed edge 16 and a half korean made ****. my fender trem can be wailed on all night and rarely goes out of tune, and it's just a stock trem with no locking tuners OR nut. some people need to grow up and actually know what they're talking about before letting the diahrea flow
is this a serious thread? ibanez and fender arn't even in the same division. fender is the heavy weight champ and ibanez is the light weight little punk that just got his nose broken.....
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
If i might add my input, i would say: If you are going to get a guitar with a tremolobridge, go for a Floyd Rose. Actually, get a Schecter C-1 Blackjack ATX FR
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
Quote by MetaMegaMagic

It's funny when you see someone so opinionated and so wrong at the same time.....it really is

Fender and Ibanez are two very different beasts TS.Fender makes great rock guitars,and most humbucker equipped models can handle lower gain metal well.Contrary to what the dolt above me says the trems will hold a tuning if set up properly and used in the right way.Fender trems aren't meant to be used like a floyd,they simply aren't designed for that kind of wankery and abuse.It's when idiots grab them and go "ZOMG LUL TEH DIMEBAG BOMBZ" that they go out of tune,and these people then automatically say they suck because they used them wrong.Fender's excel at rock and blues,but are versatile enough to delve into pretty much any genre stock,besides brutal death metal and what not of course.A pup swap can increase the versatility even more and set the guitar up for high gain territory if need be.

Ibanez,specifically the S series (no edge III's,they can be very sketchy) models have great double locking systems,so if you really want to go wild with a trem then they'd be the better bet.They have relatively thin necks and are marketed and designed toward more aggressive and heavy playing styles,but are still versatile enouh to be genre hoppers.The stock pickups on most models are a bit bland,but that can always be changed down the line.

It really depends on what you're looking for in a guitar.They're both nice and versatile brands,but doing a point to point comparison on them is a bit difficult since they have some major differences.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

This guy was asking for help, not a debate.

Ibanez guitars are best suited for metal and shred, whereas Fenders are better suited to might lighter kinda of music, like indie or reggae.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
If you think you can afford it I'd suggest an Ibanez RG1550M from Rich at ibanezrules with the premium package. It'll outplay any other guitar you look for that isn't from Suhr or something similar.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by MetaMegaMagic

Uhm ... LOL STACK ATTACK

Quote by V.U.K
If you think you can afford it I'd suggest an Ibanez RG1550M from Rich at ibanezrules with the premium package. It'll outplay any other guitar you look for that isn't from Suhr or something similar.

Rich is a good egg.He charges a bit much for some things,but his customer service and dedication are second to none as far as Ibanez dealers go.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by trashbeast
Are you serious? but.. Fender trems stay in tune awesome? have you ever actually tried one? conformity guitars? They are the single most customizable guitar there is! That's why they have bolt on necks and pickguards! what the hell man. if anything ibanez are conformity guitars!

TRUE THAT! Did you ever think the shape of your RG closely resembles a Strat? How can Fender be a conformity Guitar? I guess thats why clapton and hendrix and countless other GREATS chose Fender.
like everyone else has said, it depends on what music ur playing. I have both and the fender is great for blues and queen etc where u only use some occasional whammy and for the tone but if u wana shred ur nuts off and divebomb everywhere id suggest the ibanez which i use for pantera and other playing. 1 cos it will hokd the tuning 1 million times better than the fender and two for the tone.cant stress how important the style of music u wana play is when choosing your axe
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, but I meant that a lot of people I know pick Fender just because people like Hendrix and Clapton play them without even hearing of other brands like Ibanez, PRS, Gretsch, ESP, etc. I just hate people's attitudes towards Fender because they assume it's going to be the only guitar for them without even trying other guitars.

About tremelos, my friends play Fender Strats and they have to retune after doing a lot of metal, I find them less tuning stable than Ibanezes. It's great for adding subtle vibrato to chords.
Last edited by MetaMegaMagic at Aug 4, 2009,
It depends on what you are looking for is my opinion. They both come with ****ty pickups, thats for sure. Woodwise they are both amazing for the price. The ibanez has my favorite neck, while the real starts have my favorite wood type in their necks. There is so many variables.
Quote by MetaMegaMagic
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, but I meant that a lot of people I know pick Fender just because people like Hendrix and Clapton play them without even hearing of other brands like Ibanez, PRS, Gretsch, ESP, etc. I just hate people's attitudes towards Fender because they assume it's going to be the only guitar for them without even trying other guitars.

That's no reason to sh*t on the brand.If anything that's more of an argument against stupid people who make decisions based on brand reputation than it is an argument against Fender and the quality of their guitars.

alright guys were not talking about anybodys sister here, were talking about guitars. My roots reside in classic rock so the fender tone seems to be the fit but I dont know i want a wildly different tone, something like a space jungle would sound like, with really clear sharp tones.
Outside the side box that's outside your sky box.
In my opinion Fender wins but that is mostly because I'm more into classic rock than metal. I like their sound, The necks are nice too. Although they have declined a bit since the mid 60s (The wonder years) I have yet to hear an Ibanez that met the magic some of those early 60s Strats have. And as for the tremolo that isn't too much of an issue for me, I wouldn't use a Trem for crazy dive bombs. A stock Strat trem can be really nice if set up properly, If you want something thet stays in tune better there's always replacement Tremolos you can get like Stetsbar or Trem King.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Aug 6, 2009,
As much as I love Ibanez, I say Fender.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
I'm partial to ibanez because of the neck and the wider selection of guitars. I prefer mahogany string throughs.

Both companies make extremely versatile guitars. Play some and see which you like better. I believe ibanez has a larger radius for their necks and the neck is thin which should be better for "shred". However, that doesn't mean you can't shred on a fender too and that ibanez guitars cant play more mellow stuff. For me, i think fender bodies have a better feel and are lighter, but I like heavier guitars. Try both and select the one that has a better feel.

my 2c