Hey all;

First of all, let's start off by establishing that this is not a technique thing. I've been doing these for years... like 20 years. No problem.

The amp I am using is a Randall RH150 G3 series head. I've got enough gain on that thing for I-don't-know-what.

But!! Different guitars are giving me different results.

Old 1970's model El Degas with DiMarzio passive humbuckers. Strings now probably two years old. Pinch harmonics = no prob. I've had that guitar for well over 20 yrs.

Early-mid-'80's model BC Rich NJ series. Again, passive DiMarzio humbuckers. Also with strings probably 2 years old. Again.... crazy pinch harmonics all day long.

Brand new (just bought it a year-ish ago) LTD MH400 with active EMG81/85 pickups. New strings. New battery. Pinch harmonics lack sustain and are just generally limp sounding.

I'm doing them the way I have always done them on all three guitars. Maybe that's the problem? Doesn't make sense, though.....

Based on all this, I thought maybe it was the active pickups that maybe just weren't as responsive as they're made out to be, but when I look at the reviews for those pickups, one of the things that consistently comes up is how awesome they are for stuff like.... pinch harmonics.

Any suggestions?

My impression is that pinch harmonics are affected MOST by (in order)
1. technique
2. amp
3. pickups

It couldn't be the guitar, could it? I mean, it's a great guitar in all other respects.

Baffled.

Thanks!
CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I think its because you gotta get used to your new guitar, and find those "sweet spots" where the pinch harmonics sounds best
In the 22nd century, how many guitarists is needed to replace a light source?

Five. One to actually do it, and four to reminisce about how much better the old tubes were.

Quote by SquareNothing
Metalicer!!!! Krik Halmet!!!!1
The same thing happened to me when I bought my first guitar with EMG's. I realized, for me, that when I pinched I did it pretty easily without using much "oomph". So I tried to be more aggressive and added some vibrato and it really did the trick for me. Even songs with no vibrato on pinches it would work fine. My technique might be different from yours though, but this might help. Btw, when I pick my right hand is sort of like a loose fist.
Most people on UG aren't very nice.

That is my signature.

This is true.
I had the same guitar a while back an oddly enough,I had the same issues you're having.Pinch harmonics sounded weak and undefined,and were harder to get than on my passive bucker Ibanez.I sold the LTD and got a Jackson with a duncan JB in the bridge,and the problem was solved.I don't think it's the EMG's,since I've played other guitars with them and didn't have the same problem that I had with the LTD.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

i think that action depends on it too i play my lp with meduim action ph are somwthing to be desired tried my friend's inbanez and i can do ph like nothing
True Pr0gNut, Maybe it is the guitar ... I have a Jackson with EMG's so it's probably a lot different from that guitar. Although, the Passive to EMG thing was confusing at first for me but now I've gotten used to it. You might find certain places to get good harmonics like closer to the bridge or to the neck. I don't know.. Pr0gNut had the same problems with it though so I dunno man >.<

I'm sure it's a great guitar. You're probably just not used to it or something
Most people on UG aren't very nice.

That is my signature.

This is true.
personally i prefer passive pups for pinched harmonics.the u have to try harder and the sound more raw
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by Religulous
True Pr0gNut, Maybe it is the guitar ... I have a Jackson with EMG's so it's probably a lot different from that guitar. Although, the Passive to EMG thing was confusing at first for me but now I've gotten used to it. You might find certain places to get good harmonics like closer to the bridge or to the neck. I don't know.. Pr0gNut had the same problems with it though so I dunno man >.<

I'm sure it's a great guitar. You're probably just not used to it or something

I played mine daily for 5 months,and never managed to figure out what was wrong .

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I think you hit the nail on the head- its a combination of technique, guitar pups and amp. On all three of my guitars, my ability to pinch off the harmonics varies, with my entry level Ibanez being the hardest, and my USA Jackson being the easiest. If I put on a distortion pedal ontop of my amps distortion, the harmonics flow easier.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
I guess I'll try different points on the string.

I've been playing this guitar for over a year. Only occasionally do I sit down with the intention of sussing out the pinch harmonic thing, but they are part of my playing style, so I *often* notice when they're not quite where I want them to be. Grrr....

Now, when you agree that the combination is that of technique, pickups, and amp, and the only variable among those three factors is the pickups, that is what led me to wonder if it was the pickups.

Could it really be the guitar? How could it be?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
I guess I'll try different points on the string.

I've been playing this guitar for over a year. Only occasionally do I sit down with the intention of sussing out the pinch harmonic thing, but they are part of my playing style, so I *often* notice when they're not quite where I want them to be. Grrr....

Now, when you agree that the combination is that of technique, pickups, and amp, and the only variable among those three factors is the pickups, that is what led me to wonder if it was the pickups.

Could it really be the guitar? How could it be?

CT

It could be the construction,material,bridge,or so many other things.It's kinda hard to pin down,but I can give examples as to why I don't think it's the EMG pups.

1.I've played other guitars with EMG's in them through the same amp I played the LTD through,using the same technique,and had no difficulty getting pinch harmonics.

2.I've played other set neck or neck thu LTD models and had the same problem with pinch harmonics.

3.I didn't have the pinch problems playing a bolt on LTD.

IMO it's something odd with the guitar.I have no idea what it is,and I might be crazy,but that's what the evidence I found leads me to believe.