Hi all,
My GAS is at it again. Current setup is a Gibson Les Paul traditional plus into a Marshall JCM 2000 TSL into an Avatar 2x12 with V30 and G12T75....I also play an American Strat from time to time although I've been primarily using the Les Paul as I have been playing heavier and heavier music and the Les Paul does a good job at it. I do like the Marshall a lot, I picked it up for $700 about a month ago used but in flawless condition. After much time spent with it, I still think I want to keep it, however I also am itching for something even heavier. A drummer recently moved his stuff into my jam room and he and I both enjoy playing TeH Bro0TalZ! I havent been completely impressed with playing heavier drop C/D standard stuff on the Marshall. I think the Marshall covers about 75% of my tastes in music, but instead of boosting it or complicating my setup to get brootal distortion, I have been considering getting a Peavey 6505. I have played Dual Rectifiers and a few other amps that are versatile/brutal, but all I am really looking for is a one trick pony amp that can knock me flat on my as$ with its distortion by itself. Volume is not an issue as I play in a storage unit and I also will be getting a THD hotplate.

Think Christopher Walken SNL skit, only replace cowbell with Bro0Talz...thats how much I want. So, on to my predicament. I have been considering used Peavey 6505+ off craigslist as I have seen a few in the $600-$800 range. Whatever I do though, I am going to want to spend a good month with it before I decide if I like it or not.....15 minutes in a guitar center doesnt do any amp justice. Because of this, I have also considered buying a brand new 6505 (not plus) from Musiciansfriend for $999, and giving it the 45 day test. If I dont like, I can return it without the hassle of selling, but if I do like it, I'll keep it and have a brand new amp. Even though I want it for heavy stuff, if I can find at least a decent clean tone out of it I might end up selling the Marshall to cover some of the cash difference.

Basically, I am in amp experimentation mode, and I am having a lot of fun with it, but my ears are getting pickier and I don't want to be going crazy here buying new amps. What would you do in my situation?

Thanks for the advice.
Last edited by GuitarDTO at Aug 4, 2009,
IMO, I think you should just get an OD pedal. The 2000s sound great boosted and can get plenty brutal

Now if you had 2 cabs... I'd say get the 6505 and run them in stereo haha
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I guess to add onto this.....I admittedly don't have much experience with overdrive/tubecreamer pedals. I know a lot of bands like Killswitch, Bullet for My Valentine, etc use an Ibanez Tube Screamer or Maxon OD or similar type pedal to boost their amps (doesnt BFMV use a Maxon OD into a Peavey 6505?). Instead of me buying a whole new amp, since I do like a lot about the Marshall I guess I can't rule out buying a pedal to get me where I want. Would an overdrive hooked up to my amps lead channel help make it heavier without turning it to noisy mud?
Quote by MatrixClaw
IMO, I think you should just get an OD pedal. The 2000s sound great boosted and can get plenty brutal

Now if you had 2 cabs... I'd say get the 6505 and run them in stereo haha

You beat me to it, I am sitting here second guessing the need for another amp. I just have 0 pedal experience so don't really know what to look for.
Well i'd definately suggest going for an OD pedal, and yeah you hit the nail on the head with a Maxon OD, see if you can find a store that will you let you try a few out.

Or you could try this blackstar pedal, my guitar teacher runs his through his ENGL Powerball and my word it is more brutal than a nun killing children with a dead bear.

http://www.andertons.co.uk/ElectricGuitarFX/pid15700/cid579/BlackstarHTDISTXValveUltraHighGainDistortionPedal.asp

I know thats a UK website but that's the model it has it's own EQ which is handy for some versatility
Last edited by Zanon at Aug 4, 2009,
i use a maxon through my 6505+ and it equals sex.
Gear:
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 BLK w/ EMG 81/60
Peavey 6505+ head
Orange PPC412 cab
TU-2 Chromatic Tuner,
Maxon Od-808
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby WAH
Art&Lutherie Acoustic
How do you use the pedal (such as a Maxon)? Do you run it through the amp lead channel, or through the clean channel. I know I don't like most distortion pedals through the clean as I think my amps distortion sounds better by itself....but do OD's work differently? (I am researching like mad as I ask these questions so thanks for bearing with me).
guitar--->pedals----->amp input. K.I.S.S method. (keep it simple stupid)
Gear:
Peavey 6505+ head
Orange PPC412 cab
TU-2 Chromatic Tuner,
Maxon Od-808
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby WAH
Art&Lutherie Acoustic
Quote by GuitarDTO
How do you use the pedal (such as a Maxon)? Do you run it through the amp lead channel, or through the clean channel. I know I don't like most distortion pedals through the clean as I think my amps distortion sounds better by itself....but do OD's work differently? (I am researching like mad as I ask these questions so thanks for bearing with me).

use the OD to boost your lead channel. You can set the gain to 0 on the pedal to push your tubes harder (more amp distortion) or crank the gain on the pedal for a mix of amp and pedal gain. Use the pedal in front of the amp.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
thanks all, I am going to get a Maxon OD808 instead. Even if I end up wanting another amp at some point, it sounds like this pedal will work well with pretty much any amp. Thanks for the help! I will probably throw in an ISP decimator and a DC power brick while I'm at it.
Quote by GuitarDTO
thanks all, I am going to get a Maxon OD808 instead. Even if I end up wanting another amp at some point, it sounds like this pedal will work well with pretty much any amp. Thanks for the help! I will probably throw in an ISP decimator and a DC power brick while I'm at it.

Are you some kinda rich guy !? i can't even afford a decent tube amp and i've been playing for 5/6 years
Quote by Zanon
Are you some kinda rich guy !? i can't even afford a decent tube amp and i've been playing for 5/6 years

lol. No I am not rich, but I live comfortable.....went to college and got a good job (engineering). Bills first, savings and investments second, and with the leftover I have fun with the toys. Keep saving, you'll get your tube amp. Scour craigslist too, many deals to be had on great tube amps.
also.. ISP is amazing! I like your choices. +1
Gear:
Peavey 6505+ head
Orange PPC412 cab
TU-2 Chromatic Tuner,
Maxon Od-808
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby WAH
Art&Lutherie Acoustic
^thanks. I placed the order last night, my setup is going to look a lot like yours uptheirons!

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus
TU-2 Tuner
Maxon OD-808
ISP Decimator
Marshall JCM 2000 into Avatar 2x12
MXR-10 EQ through the effects loop. I can't wait, I'm excited I went this route instead as I do really like my Marshall....it just needs a little kick in the rear for some music!
BFMV use ibanez ts9's i think (or atleast one of them does). the singer uses a 6505+ through a mesa rectifier cab and uses the ts9 for a lead boost i believe.
it sure will GuitarDTO. Now only if i could turn my 6505 cab into an orange cab...
Gear:
Peavey 6505+ head
Orange PPC412 cab
TU-2 Chromatic Tuner,
Maxon Od-808
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby WAH
Art&Lutherie Acoustic
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
BFMV use ibanez ts9's i think (or atleast one of them does). the singer uses a 6505+ through a mesa rectifier cab and uses the ts9 for a lead boost i believe.

Matt Tuck (lead singer) uses a 6505 (not the plus) with a MXR Zakk Wylde OD pedal, but he has also used a TS-9 tubescreamer before. Padge, the lead guitarist uses a Mesa triple rectifier.