Hey guys , bought a squier standard strat the other day as my backup guitar/guitar for different styles but it will NOT stay in tune . The action and everything is fine and the strings are on perfectly.

Im new to trem's as ive been playing les paul's for years but ive always wanted a strat. There are 2 springs on at the moment with 9 gauge strings. Whenever i use the trem , even slightly for some more bluesy stuff it goes out , re-tune , then play some more , lite use and bang its out again . I tryed adding an extra spring but me being new to strats , cant do it and im afraid of breaking something .

Please give me some advice
Vintage ICON Peter Green Replica Les Paul
Epiphone LP Standard
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 (New Valves )
Boss TU-2 & SD-1
EHX #1 Echo
Strats are indestructable. You can use it as a cricket bat and nothing will happen.

I suggest adding all the springs to the tremolo, and you can tighten down the claw's screws to add more tension. A standard bridge, combined with non-locking tuners, will result in quickly de-tuning any guitar set up in a floating bridge configuration. Also try NOT using the string trees. It also makes a difference if your strings have been broken in yet or not.

I have locking tuners on my Fender Strat, and avoid using the spring trees, and it stays in tune like a charm. You can't dive bomb, but if you wanted to, you're not really looking for a strat now are you? Also try putting some Dove soap under the strings at the nut and on the saddles - this acts as a lubricant for when there is tension changes, as in bending and trem usage.
Strats are really good guitars, the MIA and MIM strats are anyways. They arent FRs so arent known for staying in tune with HEAVY trem use. A squire even more so. The squire with its economy tuners, poorly cut nut, and not so well made trem just arent going to stay in tune if you use the trem much or at all in some cases. My squire stayed in tune very well but I blocked the trem.
Thanks for advice , And im not a metal player looking to do divebombs but i think ill save for some schaller locking tuners and ill probly get it set up properly . I love the guitar and sound but the tuning stability with lite trem use is a very big turn off for me and this guitar plays too well to be thrown down and not used

Thanks
Epiphone LP Standard
Boss TU-2 & SD-1
EHX #1 Echo
what squier strat do you have? ive a Squier Bullet Strat...it comes 3 springs but it only goes out of tune SLIGHTLY when I mess with the tremolo. i'd expect that to happen unless you've a floyd rose or some other kind of locking mechanism.
Strats are indestructable. You can use it as a cricket bat and nothing will happen.
QUOTE] so true my strat takes a lot of hits but it still plays
Save your money, don't buy locking tuners. They are not needed if you string the guitar properly.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241
Read post # 2 to make sure the strings are wound in the tuning pegs properly.
This is one of the main causes of going out of tune.

Graphite Saddles might be a better investment with that money...

Other causes as someone else mentioned, lube the nut slots and saddles

Also, make sure the strings are stretched out well..

I also find that putting more tension on the bass side of the tremolo helps alot..

Ways to do that..

1. Tighten the Bass Side Claw Screw about 1-2 turns more than the treble side.
2. Put the 3rd spring at an angle. (Middle hook on claw, 2nd hole on bass side of trem)

That may help quite a bit...

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Quote by jonmo1
Save your money, don't buy locking tuners. They are not needed if you string the guitar properly.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241
Read post # 2 to make sure the strings are wound in the tuning pegs properly.
This is one of the main causes of going out of tune.

Graphite Saddles might be a better investment with that money...

Other causes as someone else mentioned, lube the nut slots and saddles

Also, make sure the strings are stretched out well..

I also find that putting more tension on the bass side of the tremolo helps alot..

Ways to do that..

1. Tighten the Bass Side Claw Screw about 1-2 turns more than the treble side.
2. Put the 3rd spring at an angle. (Middle hook on claw, 2nd hole on bass side of trem)

That may help quite a bit...

This + grab a pencil and use a knife to cut some of the graphite out the pencil and pour it over the nut, and be sure you stringed the guitar properly.
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
10 to 1 the strings are binding at the nut. Make the nuts slots slightly wider (NOT DEEPER) by passing the strings thru the nut, like sandpaper.
Hey guys , ive solved the problem by putting new d'addario 9-42 gauge on it . used the locking string technique so its now grand

Thanks for the answers
Epiphone LP Standard
Boss TU-2 & SD-1
EHX #1 Echo