Hey guys I've been having some problems with the sound I'm getting when recording. The tone coming from the amp sounds great but I'm having problems getting a clear recorded tone. I've been using a SM57 into an Tube MP and then to a Lexicon Alpha interface into Cubase. Problem is the recording always sounds like the mic is overloading (when its definately not at low volumes) and fizzy sounding, and the top end is muffled. I've tried moving the mic all around and messing with levels but nothing really seems to fix it. Any suggestions?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Quote by beau05
I'd say country or bluegrass would be pretty difficult, for being inbred is a pre-requisite
tried it, forgot to mention that
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

Quote by beau05
I'd say country or bluegrass would be pretty difficult, for being inbred is a pre-requisite
make sure that the interface preamp isn't clipping, sometimes with cheaper interfaces it can be really difficult to balance the volume of the input signal (IE your amp) and the volume of the preamp, and it takes a lot of messing around with both the amp and the interface. Does your interface having a clipping indicator LED?
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Aug 4, 2009,
it does have a clipping LED but I've never seen it go off. The clipping sound isn't like a normal hard clicking sound that usually happens with clipping but it ends up making the recording sound sizzly and thin
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

Quote by beau05
Yep
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

Quote by beau05
hmm, I'm really not sure then, it could be that your interface is having issues, I've read a few reports of problems with lexicons cheaper stuff, try running the tube MP into your computers line in and see if that helps (the sound quality will be pretty poor, but if the interface is the problem you'll definitely be able to find out this way)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm