hey there.

what are your thoughts about the Fender Frontman 100 Head+Cabinet?

i play: Clean blues, Hard Rock, No metal.
I currently own: Squier Affinity Fat strat > Boss DS-1 > Roland Cube 60
i don't need a tube amp, and i don't need built in effects like the cube has.
I play very small gigs, for which 100 Watts ss 4x12 would be too much volume i guess

will the Fender Frontman 100H be an upgrade for my gear?

any other suggestions?

I have looked into the Epiphone So-Cal 50 but it's impossible to get them around here.

my budget is ~ 500 euro's

any help appreciated.
Don't get the Frontman.

The guitarist for an opening band I saw had one and his tone was really thin and just plain terrible.

Too bad you can't find a SoCal/you aren't in my area. There's one at my local music store that I played, that amp kicks ass.

What styles of music do you play? Would you consider a combo?

EDIT: There is a SoCal head on ebay right now. You might be able to snag that then get a nice cabinet (Avatar maybe?) within your budget.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Last edited by edbert at Aug 4, 2009,
i'd really like to make the jump from a combo to a head/cabinet...
i'll be keeping the cube so i would have a combo, yet ia m looking for a 4x12 for that extra bit of power

my main style would be blues combined with some rock, influences from led zeppelin and that kind of bands. it would need a nice clean channel, since i play mostly clean parts in my band.

then, i would like it to handle the Boss Blues Driver well, i tested that pedal today and im thinking of buying it together with my new amp

Edit:
I don't like going used on the epiphone, and i'd have to wait for my next paycheck which will be in minimum 3 weeks, so ebay isn't an option.
Last edited by Bingt at Aug 4, 2009,
Nice, the blues driver is a good pedal IMO.

I really don't know what's available over there in the Netherlands, but either way there aren't too many halfstacks available in that price range. Most of them are going to be <= 15W, such as the Blackstar HT-5, Vox AC4 and Night Train, etc. If you could find a SoCal, I'd go for it, it will suit your playing style very well. Also see if you can find a Crate V-series or Palomino half stack.

Just realized I only listed tube halfstacks, but I wouldn't get a SS halfstack for the music you play.
Quote by Bingt
i might be able to stretch the budget a bit, up to 1,000... where would i end up then?

i got suggested either Bugera or London city (?) heads.

For $1000 (USD I'm assuming), you probably won't have too many more options unless you go used. You could get an Egnater Rebel or Peavey Valveking brand new for that price.

Never heard of London City, and I think Bugera amps are more geared towards hard rock and metal.

Just thought of another suggestion, I've heard good things about the Peavey Classic series, might have to find the halfstack version used though.
Quote by Ghold125
read his first post.

Right...lol, 500->1000 euros, seems like a big stretch of the budget though.

So that's about $1400 USD. My point still remains though.
Quote by edbert
Right...lol, 500->1000 euros, seems like a big stretch of the budget though.

So that's about $1400 USD. My point still remains though.

rather save up a bit longer then buy some crap right?

anyways, im gonna take a nap now, i'll check my music store tomorrow for any of those amps

thanks for you help
Quote by Bingt
rather save up a bit longer then buy some crap right?

anyways, im gonna take a nap now, i'll check my music store tomorrow for any of those amps

thanks for you help

Ya no prob, let us know what your music store does have as well and I'm sure we can help you out further.
I run that set up. FM100H and Cab with a few pedals (a BD-2 and few others), No complaints here. But Id go back and get a Tube amp if I could time travel. Money was a big issue then, now its starting to ease up.

Im looking a used 65 BF Bassman online, theres also a Epi Blues Custom at my local pawn for 350. Good shape, just been in there stock forever.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204