Currently I am using an unmodded DS-1 as my primary means of distortion, and at this point it really doesn't do my other gear justice...

I was pretty settled on a ProCo Rat, but I also checked out the Digitech Hardwire Valve Distortion, which seemed pretty good too.

I play a pretty wide range, classic rock to modern alternative to shoegaze, no metal tones really though. I really don't like Big Muffs, at least as stand-alone distortions, but I plan on getting some sort of fuzz later to nail those tones.

I keep my Blackheart Handsome Devil pretty clean, with just the slightest hint of overdrive, so I am looking for more than just a boost.

So anyone have opinions on the Rat, Hardwire Valve Distortion, or any other recommendations?
Current Gear:
PRS CE24 Maple Top
PRS SE Corvette
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Hardwire SC-2 Distortion
Satchurator, dude, it'll sound awesome with the Blackheart
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
I've never really liked distortion pedals that much, although I did like the metal muff.

I would go try a Fulltone OCD, Ibanez TS, Digi Badmonkey.

To each their own though.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
The DN-2 gives a good distortion sound with either a really slight crunchy bass, or with humbuckers. What you've gotta be careful of though is that it won't sustain for long unless it's being used as a boost pedal xD

Satchurator, Jemini, Big Muff, MD-2, ML-2, mod the DS-1, use your amp's overdrive and get a footswitch?
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Quote by Chikao42
The DN-2 gives a good distortion sound with either a really slight crunchy bass, or with humbuckers. What you've gotta be careful of though is that it won't sustain for long unless it's being used as a boost pedal xD

Satchurator, Jemini, Big Muff, MD-2, ML-2, mod the DS-1, use your amp's overdrive and get a footswitch?

His amp is single channel by the way, and Boss distortion pedals aren't very good. The hardire is nice, so is the MI audio crunch, but really, there is so much distortion pedals out there =, just try a lot and decide from there.
Quote by Sguit
His amp is single channel by the way, and Boss distortion pedals aren't very good. The hardire is nice, so is the MI audio crunch, but really, there is so much distortion pedals out there =, just try a lot and decide from there.

In that case... OP, you could look at getting a guitar with dual volumes like on Les Paul, set your amp to mid-gain, and then have one of the volumes low enough to clean up, and then use overdrive pedals to get more gain?

Edit: Or just master the volume control on your guitar ;p
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.

if you don't need over the top metal try this guy. demo on youtube.
1982 Gibson Firebrand "The SG" Deluxe
Blackstar HT-1R | Line 6 M5 | Malekko Omicron Fuzz | Behringer SF300 Super-Fuzz | Morpheus DropTune | TC Ditto Looper
If you know how to solder and read a wiring diagram, I recommend you:

1. Order a Tubescreamer clone kit for 60 bucks.

2. Build it.

3. Mod it to TS808 specs.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.