Right, I've become very bored at the moment and have decided I need something to keep me entertained. I'm gunna be doing two things, first making a slide and second making a pedal board when I get two more pedals.

But this is about my slide!

I'm going to be making it out of a baileys bottle, this one infact...

(excuse the pic i'm just using laptop camera)

My question is, how do I cut the bottle neck off? 'cos it's very thick glass and I don't wanna smash the neck as well. Once the neck is off, would any normal sandpaper be okay for glass?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

I had considered those but wasn't sure if they were for curved glass. Think I'll take a trip out tomorrow see if i can find any glass cutters if not, hacksaw it is!
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Completely disregard what I said, I just went out into my garage and decided to try to make a slide from a beer bottle, turns out that hacksaws suck for cutting through glass. I then tried making a crack on the neck and essentially "chopping off" the neck of the bottle with a small hatchet, this also will not work.

After some more experimenting (at the cost of the lives of many helpless bottles of corona extra), here's what I found out is the "best" way to do it:

1- take your bottle and wrap it in a towel or bandanna, make sure the bottle is completely cocoon-ed within the towel

2- take one of those small 1'6" long sledge hammers and strike the bottle between the bottom of the bottle and the beginning of the neck

3-Discard the broken glass, take the neck of the bottle (you'll probably have to lightly hit the unwanted fragments off of the neck a couple times before you're satisfied, but make sure you wrap the glass in the towel before hitting it)

4-Wearing some sort of respiratory protection (like a mask) and eye protection (goggles) rub the sharp parts of the neck against some 60 grit sand paper until it's smooth

5-Spray the slide off thoroughly to remove small fragments of glass and glass dust

It may take some experimenting but what you have here is the general idea.
The best way is to use a scribe and hit the end of the bottle off of a block of wood. Then using sandpaper to clean up the edge.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
did someone say BAILEYS?

Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
the absolute best way to do this is to scribe a circle around the neck with a glass cutter to start. i wrapped a piece of masking tape around where i wanted the cut to be so i could draw a straight line. i also didnt have a glass cutter and the tape helped my wierd tool to grip. now the cut doesnt need to be super deep, just even all around.

next put the neck of the bottle in some very hot water for a few minutes. the first couple times i tried running hot tap water over it and that didnt work too well. so i then put some water on the stove and heated it to not quite boiling and held the cut so it was under the water (use oven mitts or something to hold it). next (wear eye protection for this) you have to then run cold water over the cut. again i tried tap water first and then ended up just sticking the bottle in a bucket of ice water.

the stresses from expansion/contraction should force the bottle to crack along where you scored it. you may have to repeat a couple times to get it to crack all the way through. you can tap the neck lightly with something around the score to help it crack, but if the cut is good and the temperatures are different enough then the neck will fall right off.

ive made a couple slides this way and it seems to work quite well.
I'm kinda of car nut and one time I was watching a show on TV, forget which one but that's not really the point. The hosts were checking out a custom glass shop where they cut glass for all kinds of classic cars that don't have aftermarket glass available now adays.

Anywho, what they would do is take the glass panel and scribe the outline of whatever the shape of the glass was, in your case it would just be a circle around the neck of the bottle. Then, they would pour some kind of flamable substance into the crack of the scribe (probably lighter fluid), then they would light the fluid inside the scribe and snap off the parts they didn't want. They made it look really easy but if you tried it on a few scrap bottles you may see if it works.
Quote by Schism1985

2- take one of those small 1'6" long sledge hammers and strike the bottle between the bottom of the bottle and the beginning of the neck

So you mean to tell us, that a sledgehammer is FINALLY the logical way to go about something?

Sir, I salute you.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Quote by jof1029
the absolute best way to do this is to scribe a circle around the neck with a glass cutter to start. i wrapped a piece of masking tape around where i wanted the cut to be so i could draw a straight line. i also didnt have a glass cutter and the tape helped my wierd tool to grip. now the cut doesnt need to be super deep, just even all around.

next put the neck of the bottle in some very hot water for a few minutes. the first couple times i tried running hot tap water over it and that didnt work too well. so i then put some water on the stove and heated it to not quite boiling and held the cut so it was under the water (use oven mitts or something to hold it). next (wear eye protection for this) you have to then run cold water over the cut. again i tried tap water first and then ended up just sticking the bottle in a bucket of ice water.

the stresses from expansion/contraction should force the bottle to crack along where you scored it. you may have to repeat a couple times to get it to crack all the way through. you can tap the neck lightly with something around the score to help it crack, but if the cut is good and the temperatures are different enough then the neck will fall right off.

ive made a couple slides this way and it seems to work quite well.

this definitely sounds like the best way I've ever heard.I think I'm gonna try this some time
what bottle are thick enough to use?

i have quite fat fingers
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.