Can anyone tell what kind of wood this is? 1998 China (Yako factory) Squier Stratocaster, doesnt say bullett or affinity or anything. Body is 1.75" thick.

If you cant tell from these pictures, where is the most discrete place I can sand and know for sure what kind of wood it is?

I bought this guitar new in 1998, played it for only a few months and picked it back up about a month ago.

Thanks for any replies.

Oh and I'm new, great site I learned a ton, set up the guitar, etc.. took these pictures while I was sanding the neck pocket and under the bridge.

Looks like low grade basswood/poplar to me.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Alder
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Ok, I will take either one!!

I'm just trying to figure out if it would be better to keep this guitar, paint it, upgrade the electronics and hardware, OR if it is plywood or something I would definitely just wait and buy a used MIM or Highway One.

The advantage in upgrading is I can do it $50 at a time.

FWIW I think it plays well, but this is the only guitar I've ever played so I actually have no idea, at all.
Just my opinion, but...I'd say, if it feels and sounds good to you then keep it and upgrade it as much as you want. Have you had a chance to play other guitars, and if you did, how did yours compare? Oops, ok I see you haven't had a chance to play any others..try other guitars, and see if you really like yours, or you feel it's lacking in areas.

It really comes down to personal preference. Some people can't live without the custom shop builds, or only a "Real Gibson Les Paul" will satisfy them...but some people will do just as well with a guitar that simply suits them personally.
HA! The title made me lol! I'm sorry,I'm thinking the wrong way! I do this a lot, I post replies on threads just to say something about the title or something stupid like that. Ignore me.
My Gear:

Epiphone Limited Edition '66 G-400 SG
Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy Analog Delay
Quote by ebn2002
OR if it is plywood
Plywood isn't a species. Plywood is a type of construction, where a ''single piece'' is actually made up of several layers glued together. You could get plywood alder, plywood mahogany, whatever. Technically speaking, any carved top mahogany & maple Les Paul is a ''ply'' bodied guitar.

Anyway, looks like basswood to me. Might be agathis and the exposed parts simply have little figure, agathis is a similar colour to basswood and sometimes agathis can look identical if it's grain isn't too prominent. It's certainly not alder or poplar though.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
OK, I think I will play a few other guitars and see if I still like this one. Thanks for all the replies!!