I am looking for some really good pickups for technical death metal such as Necrophagist ,Nile,Suffocation, etc.

But also I like to play Melodic Death Metal such as Arch Enemy

My friend recommended some Seymour Duncans.

What are some others, if not the best? Price is irrelevant.
Quote by MuffinMan
I hope for a day when circumcised and uncircumcised penises can live together in harmony!

Quote by Kensai
Cowslayer, I recognize you as the Emperor of the universe. I applaud you in your awesomeness.
Duncan,Dimarzio,EMG,BKP's,and the swineshead venom models are worth looking into.They all have different quirks and so on,so do some research after you decide if you want active or passive pups.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Honestly, probably the hottest wound pickups you can find. Although I am not a huge fan of them, some active EMG's will get you what you are looking for. The standard combo: 81 in the bridge, 85 in the neck
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
What are you looking for? More output, more highs, mids or bass?
Even God has a Hell, his love for Humanity.
by Friedrich Nietzsche

Call me Edge
Duncans are overrated to me, but at the same time are a pretty good option as they provide a good tone at a less than boutique price. Mike from Arch Enemy uses a JB, Karl from Nile uses an Invader

Dimarzio's are more shred oriented so might be a good shout for you, they don't really make a vintage-y pickup aside from the PAF copies and they come recommended. Maybe a D Sonic (Dream Theater) or X2N (Death). Terrance from Suffocation uses a DiMarzio of some persuasion

EMG's are active. Very solid high output distorted tone, very brittle clean tone with a lot of treble and little warmth. Amp and guitar won't really change the tone so expect a very generic modern metal tone. I don't recommend actives but many swear by them. 81 and 85 or 60 are pretty traditional (Machine Head are the best example IMO of GOOD EMG tone, but Metallica made them famous). Mohammed from Necro uses 707's I think

Bare Knuckle's have been my only foray into boutique pickups, and IMO they are unbeatable. Their high gain models still sound pristine on clean, and each note springs from the guitar with a clarity I've never heard, but one that still doesn't become cutting or brittle like the EMG's. For tech death look into the Painkiller or the Warpig (their highest output pickup). BKP's would be my personal choice
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Last edited by Dopey_Trout at Aug 4, 2009,
Assuming you use a high gain amp, a moderate output, bright, lead-y pickup would be magnificient for you.

A.k.a. a Bare Knuckle, a DiMarzio PAF, or a Duncan JB (best choice, imo).
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Assuming you use a high gain amp, a moderate output, bright, lead-y pickup would be magnificient for you.

A.k.a. a Bare Knuckle, a DiMarzio PAF, or a Duncan JB (best choice, imo).

The D-sonic is worth mentioning as well.It has great attack,note definition,and doesn't get muddy with low tunings.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I do play lead guitar so every note that I play should ring and not come out muted. Now I looked at the videos of the Duncan Invaders, and it sounded really good on the rhythm but when they started playing arpeggios and solos, it sounded kind of muddy and muted.

So I am looking for that perfect tone where when I play leads, it trumps and every single note is heard in perfect definition but sometimes I do play Rhythm so when I play rhythm, it has some power and crunch to it.

But mostly it's for the leads so I guess I would be looking for a good mid-high ranghe pickup with good output.

But I am an idiot and not very good with pickups so I am asking knowledgeable people such as yourselves. What do you think?

Oh yes and I am still searching for some stuff on the Warpigs but if they do have the highest output, wouldn't that mean it comes with a lot of humming and whitenoise? Cause that is something I definitely want to avoid.
Quote by MuffinMan
I hope for a day when circumcised and uncircumcised penises can live together in harmony!

Quote by Kensai
Cowslayer, I recognize you as the Emperor of the universe. I applaud you in your awesomeness.
Last edited by Cowslayer at Aug 4, 2009,
I will also suggest the D-sonic. Has loads of clarity through distortion and low tunings. I know the guitarist from necrophagist uses the Dimarzio D-activators.. maybe worth looking into.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
From Seymour Duncan, I'd say a Duncan distortion or a Duncan Custom, or an Invader.

Dimarzio, I'd say a D-Sonic, an X2n, or a Super 3.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.