So I'm in the process of saving money to expand my recording rig, and some of it I actually plan to pick up soon, but the bigger stuff later on. I have several questions, so I thought I'd just make one thread instead of several.

Anyways, my first question is involving drums. Right now, I use Modplug Tracker to arrange samples in the way I want them played. I was wondering if a drum VST program like EZDrummer or Addictive Drums would provide a major sound quality improvement over tracking drums the way I currently do? (The samples themselves are good, but require EQing to get them to sound the way I want them to) I'm planning on buying stuff to mic a drum set anyway, but I don't have my own drums, so I would still have a use for software to get ideas down.

Next, I was wondering if I would be better off buying a drum mic kit or buying separate individual mics. What are good mics for drums? Also, I was thinking about picking up an MXL 604 for recording acoustic guitar (Most likely in combination w/my Studio Projects B1). Is this a good mic?

I will have to upgrade my interface to something bigger to mic a drumkit as well. How does the tube-based stuff from Presonus fare? I'm planning to allocate about $600-$700 for an interface, maybe up to $1K if it's something worth it. Basically, I want something better than simply a bigger interface w/similar quality pre-amps/converters than my current one, but at the same time, reasonably within my budget.

Any help = Thanks!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
I'm not to 1337 on this, but I'll do my best.

So, wait, you want drum mics... And you don't have a set of drums...?
My recommendation is to skip out on the drum mics if you intend to buy a drum set as well, save some money and get an electric set. Plug the brain right into where you're recording, bam.
Well, the reason I want drum mics is for recording a drummer w/a band I'm in the process of trying to start up, and eventually, probably recording other bands, but I'm not too worried about that just yet, I just want to have the hardware to record a drummer for my own use for now (whenever it's a possible option over using samples). The reason I was curious about a drum VST is because while I'm not that great at playing a real kit, I'm used to programming drum tracks.

Anybody have advice on this? or the interface stuff
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff