Yo, I'm a guitar player but my buddies have a great band and they need a Bassist and I can pull off bass pretty decently. I have a bass right now but it's some crappy Yamaha 4-String. I'm lookin into a 5-String Bass because my buddies are gonna be using 7-Strings soon so I think it'll be a better choice to be able to make some good rumble.

Anyways, what are your opinion on this decision to get a 5-string, which I will most likely do. But do you have any recommendations as to a good one?

Btw, I'll be playing out of a Ampeg Ball-15.

Thanks.
Guitars
· Ibanez PF · Washburn WG-248 · Ibanez S520Ex
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
What type you get isn't as important as what tone you can get out of it by way of your amp. You'll want something that has good low and low/mid EQ if you're doin metal so it cuts through, but isn't overwhelming.

You'll want something comfortable for body and hands, though, since you'll be using it alot.

ESP was pretty much made on metal, and I've got a C304 which does extremely well in many genres, metal included.
I'd recommend Ibanez, ESP, Schecter, and maybe Peavey for metal. Good specs, and I I can trust that they can handle a B string fairly well.

Do you want a metal look as well? ESP do good metal shapes that aren't too garish, same with Ibanez BTBs. imo, of course.
Last edited by maXterbat0r at Aug 4, 2009,
If you are looking at a 5 String, Dave Ellefson has a signutare Peavy bass and Jackson has 4 strings with really great sound... although I would suggest ESP for a 5 string... possibly even a 6 string
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
A Peavey, an LTD, or specfically, An Ibanez BTB or Soundgear.

Some of the Peavey models are really sweet though, I couldnt give you a specific model but I played a couple at pawn shops and stuff.

You do def. want a good amp though, theres alot of amps that dont push your Low B as well as the rest of the strings.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Yeah, I was lookin at Ibanez, ESP, or Schecter. I don't really think I can find a Thru-Neck design on a 5-string for around 700 bucks huh? Though I don't really wanna spend that much, that would be my limit.

What is the difference in the pickup setups?
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
I said on my last post... But 700 is roughly my limit.
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Quote by Phry
I said on my last post... But 700 is roughly my limit.

I should read the thread more

$700 is about £400 I think. I'd reccomend WArwick Rockbass (any), The ATK305 by Ibanez and if you looked hard enough you could find a 5 string standard Fender Jazz. All are brilliant for metal and any other genre for that matter.
Nah dude, I dont want to start any fights but...

I really dont like scheter basses, espically diamond series. Maybe its just me but everyone ive played on has just been rattly and loose. I just dont like em.

Warwick rockbasses are cool, but are in no way compared to any real warwick. They are the fender squires of warwick.

Deans I dont know about. But, I will tell you that you can get a neck-thru 5 string ibanez with a 35" scale and bartolini active pickups (pickups with batteries) for anywhere between 600-800 dollars.

I dont want to sound like a btb saleman, but they are really good basses, as are SOME soundgears.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Last edited by Vypor at Aug 5, 2009,
All you need to get from this thread so far is this -

Ibanez and ESP are good to look into & DO NOT get a Dean bass. My gods, I've never played a worse bass in my life.
Last edited by Perp8tualMotion at Aug 5, 2009,
Ibanez and Schecter, and some used basses too.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
Ibanez and Schecter, and some used basses too.

+1, you can get amazing gear for the price if you go used.

Whatever you get, try and go for a 35" scale, that'll stop the B from being "floppy" and reduce fretbuzz. I would recommend Ibanez (ibby fanboy here) or a Schecter. But PLAY SOME FIRST!
Last edited by m4l666 at Aug 5, 2009,
Quote by Vypor
Nah dude, I dont want to start any fights but...

I really dont like scheter basses, espically diamond series. Maybe its just me but everyone ive played on has just been rattly and loose. I just dont like em.

Warwick rockbasses are cool, but are in no way compared to any real warwick. They are the fender squires of warwick.

Deans I dont know about. But, I will tell you that you can get a neck-thru 5 string ibanez with a 35" scale and bartolini active pickups (pickups with batteries) for anywhere between 600-800 dollars.

I dont want to sound like a btb saleman, but they are really good basses, as are SOME soundgears.

I agree with the btb for neck through at a lower price (and a very good bass). However the pickups aren't active but the preamp is, just something to think about.
The srs are also very good but are bolt-on until you get into the prestige range. (unless you can find an old 900)

Quote by darshiniram
I think one of Dean's radical designs would suit it well. Epiphone Flying V also, in Flat Black. B.C. Rich if priced right and painted awesomely.

Actual Fender and Gibson Les Paul user, but have Flying V.

you do realise you are in the bass forum, right...
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Spaz91
Damn you ****ing americans with your cheap basses

After looking around I've seen Warwick Corvette Standards for $699.99

sucks, doesn't it
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

The cheapest corvette standard I can find atm is $2400au
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

The Epiphone Thunderbird Pro IV should be in your price range.

BEFORE this turns into a massive argument about thunderbirds it is your choice whether you like them or not I'm just giving you an idea, so nobody needs to comment on them.

You could maybe find a used Fender in your price range, Troy Sanders of Mastodon uses them, so get it painted in Silverburst if you need it to look more metal!!!!!

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Well, I kind of have my eye on this one right here.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-BTB305FM-5String-Bass-Guitar?sku=517309

It's not a NeckThru design which kinda sucks, but I don't really wanna fork up tons of money. Still a good buy? Playing out of an Ampeg BA-115.
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Quote by Phry
Well, I kind of have my eye on this one right here.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-BTB305FM-5String-Bass-Guitar?sku=517309

It's not a NeckThru design which kinda sucks, but I don't really wanna fork up tons of money. Still a good buy? Playing out of an Ampeg BA-115.

I played the 4 string version of that in a shop and loved it so much that I ordered my btb675 a few days after purely on how good that one was.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by gilly_90
I played the 4 string version of that in a shop and loved it so much that I ordered my btb675 a few days after purely on how good that one was.

Did the 4string you played still have the BoltonNeck?
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Quote by Phry
Did the 4string you played still have the BoltonNeck?

yup. Was this one (same colour too):
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

How are the pickups? Not sure what to look for in Bass Pickups...
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Pretty good for the price range. But if you can go (I think) 1 model higher, you get into the Bartolini MK-2 pickups and they are where it really starts getting good.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

This is a sweet btb, and the pickups are pretty decent. They are in mine anyway. The only difference between the one your looking at and the one I own is the bridge.

Mine has indiviual saddles for each string, no real bridge. which is a fairly nice feature, you might want to look for one like that.
Quote by Vypor
This is a sweet btb, and the pickups are pretty decent. They are in mine anyway. The only difference between the one your looking at and the one I own is the bridge.

Mine has indiviual saddles for each string, no real bridge. which is a fairly nice feature, you might want to look for one like that.

which model have you got?
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Ibanez BTB W350663 thats whats on the back of the neck.
look on the back of the headstock right at the top.

EDIT: is this it?
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Last edited by gilly_90 at Aug 6, 2009,
This was the closest thing I could find to my model on the ibanez website. The only difference is, mine is tranparent black (not grey) and does not have baroloni pickups, I got regular Ibanez soapbars - but they are infact active.

http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-BTB575FM

Edit: Mines also bolt on, not neck-thru
Last edited by Vypor at Aug 6, 2009,
fair enough.
Enough off topic lol.
I recommend it (or a higher model if possible) BTBs are good basses.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Yeah, I really do want the higher model but it's a bit pricey. Maybe if I can find a good deal. If not then I wouldn't mind settling for the one I posted. I just don't wanna sell my Guitar gear... Haha.
Guitars
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Try and go for a 35" scale if you can, I used to play an SR505 (which still is a really great bass for the money) but since upgrading to a Spector with a 35" scale it just blows it out of the water, the extra scale length just gives the B string that much more punch and clarity it's totally worth it.
Those BTB's are looking good for you.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Just worth noting that the Warwick Rockbasses are getting Warwick two piece bridges soon, and theres going to be a RB$$
Quote by LordBishek
Vibrators, Schmibrators. They can't ignore my girth.