Page 1 of 2
Just wondering what the general thoughts and opinions on this guitar are like amongst the Ibanez users of EG.Now,no "Zomg its teh draganfarce sig lul!" nonsense.I'm not asking for opinions on the band or Mr.Ri,I want opinions on the feel,playability,and sound of the instrument.If you want to be a tool and start a band argument kindly take it somewhere else.

So UG,has anyone out there had a chance to play one of these guitars enough to get a good feel for what it brings to the table?

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I haven't been able to play one, but I sure know it's ****ing gorgeous!!!
Gear:
LTD M-207 (Soon to be modded)
B.C. Rich Bronze Mockingbird
Jay TurSuhr Vintage Strat
Takamine EG561C
Randall RG50TC

GAS:
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 MN Tribal Green
Quote by ToneLabeouf
I haven't been able to play one, but I sure know it's ****ing gorgeous!!!

Indeed.

I never thought I'd like a purple guitar,but the egen proved me wrong haha.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

It's the messenger of the new Ibanez era: the hugely overpriced Ibanez era.
Besides that: it's the only non J-Custom that can make me drool.
But then again: WHY THE BLOODY MONKEYGRIP UPPER HORN??
Can't they just for once get everything right at Ibanez?
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Aug 4, 2009,
its pritty much a jem with a s series body, the pickups are very similar to evolutions its got that new edge on it with the ball bearings and thats cool, Id get one if I had the money
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
ZOMG taht's dargonforce sig HERMAN RI FTW!!!!!!1111one1

it is actually a very nice looking guitar, always kinda wanted to try one
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Quote by Pr0gNut
Indeed.

I never thought I'd like a purple guitar,but the egen proved me wrong haha.

Really man? Purple guitars with gold hardware is probably my favorite combination on a guitar. It's pure ****ing sex!
Gear:
LTD M-207 (Soon to be modded)
B.C. Rich Bronze Mockingbird
Jay TurSuhr Vintage Strat
Takamine EG561C
Randall RG50TC

GAS:
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 MN Tribal Green
Doesn't seem much different to me from any other high end S, but I haven't held it yet. That being said, the weird looking pseudo monkey grip is kinda ugly on the upper horn there. And gold hardware looks awful.

But this is merely my opinion.

EDIT

$2,500.00? Give me a break. I'll go J-Craft for that damned price. I MUCH prefer my S2120XAV to this thing, and it was a thousand dollars less than that brand new. Seems like the only difference between it and other high end S series is the scalloped last three frets, the ugly claw thing, and the "egen" neck.. Whatever that is. I doubt it's worth 1k more.
Last edited by Perp8tualMotion at Aug 4, 2009,
Personally I've always fancied purple. It is my favorite color and with it having gold hardware it makes me want to buy it sometime soon. It also has a lot of good combinations with the pickups and stuff.

Anyways, the only thing I hate, and i also hate this about the JEM, is the stupid monkey grip things they put on there. the Egen's isn't as bad as the JEM's (In my opinion, don't flame me) but I personally just think it's something stupid on the guitar and would love a custom ibanez to look like the Egen without the grip thing.

I did have the oppurtunity to play it briefly the other day actually while I was testing out the EJ strat I've been saving for. Most ibanez necks feel the same to me, and I have big hands so it's not as comfortable as a thicker neck, but it was definitely smooth and fast and well built. It was setup right when I played it so I had no setup issues or anything and the pickups sounded pretty good through the Vox AC30CC I was playing in.
Last edited by FallsDownStairs at Aug 4, 2009,
Quote by LP_CL

The regular price is too much,I'll agree with that.The only reason the Egen has become a consideration for me is the fact that I found a dealer in Japan that prices them in the area of about $1850 new,not blem model or factory seconds.The regular prestige S series with the flame maple top is $1600,so now the Egen actually becomes more desirable since the upgraded features are worth the extra $250 IMO.

But yes,the JEM and Egen are normally overpriced.

ok its the guitar i REALY want right now....and to every1 saying nay to the monkey grip........thats howi hold my guitar...might as well be comfertable

scallopped 20-24th frets.....deeper cutaway

*drools all over keyboard*
Quote by Valid12891
I wish I had an extra sensitive third nipple, and a girl who was into that sort of thing.

Quote by _Ixnay_
In Russia, Winter Cold + Vodka + Big-Chested Women = No problem.

Book of shadows 2?
O_o
Quote by fretsofthebeast
ok its the guitar i REALY want right now....and to every1 saying nay to the monkey grip........thats howi hold my guitar...might as well be comfertable

scallopped 20-24th frets.....deeper cutaway

*drools all over keyboard*

Don't forget the recessed middle pickup,custom set of DiMarzio pups,recessed trem knob thingy (that thing on a ZR that controls arm tension),unique inlays,and crazy pickup switching system.

Dammit,now I really can't decide

Quote by ToneLabeouf
To further solidify my opinion, behold:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1167510&highlight=ngd

THE SEX OF PURPLE AND GOLD!

/drool

Carvin does it again haha.

They'll be the company I go to when I'm in the market for a new 7 string once I get the high end Ibanez dilemma out of the way.

I've always been interested in it, never had the chance to try one though. A store around here has one but it's on one of those walls of DO NOT TOUCH. I'm really interested to see how the recessed middle pup feels, I always hit the middle pup when I play HSH guitars.

IMO it has enough features to merit an extra $250 as per your situation. Hell the upgrade from Ibanez to Dimarzio pick ups is worth that alone not to mention a bitchin' finish. And as one of the above posters said if you grab your guitar by the upper horn (which I often do) the monkey grip could actually be useful to you.
I went to Guitar Center,saw the guitar picked
it up and started playing it. I took so
much time playing it forgot the real reason
was there (to get new strings). Other than
the color of the guitar, it sounds great. Would
by if I had the money. =D
Quote by egen88
I went to Guitar Center,saw the guitar picked
it up and started playing it. I took so
much time playing it forgot the real reason
was there (to get new strings). Other than
the color of the guitar, it sounds great. Would
by if I had the money. =D

How was the neck? Can you compare it to other Ibanez necks?

Hey proggy, to make it even more difficult for you: Why don't you get REAL old school quality with that money and buy a Jackson USA?

hehehehe, I'm evil
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
But then again: WHY THE BLOODY MONKEYGRIP UPPER HORN??
Can't they just for once get everything right at Ibanez?

No but they can always get the best necks mr Jackson man... I hadn't been on these forums for a long while, but I see you still hate ibanez.

This thread NEEDED these pictures.
Quote by grimms
All I know is that if UG were a prison, all of us will either be dead, a prison bitch, or a dead prison bitch.

I think the E-gen is just beautiful and I love H-S-H configuration. Another plus is that it has 24 frets, something that most S series don't have.

But I'm left-handed, so...

Make us some more goddamn left handed signatures, Ibanez!
Last edited by TheOpenMind at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by TheOpenMind
I think the E-gen is just beautiful and I love H-S-H configuration. Another plus is that it has 24 frets, something that most S series don't have.

But I'm left-handed, so...

Make us some more goddamn left handed signatures, Ibanez!

Herman Li is left handed and he deals with it..maybe you should aswell
Quote by grimms
All I know is that if UG were a prison, all of us will either be dead, a prison bitch, or a dead prison bitch.

Are S-series neck-through?

The hand grip on the top cutaway is kind of ugly, imo.
Zomg its teh draganfarce sig lul!
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Shame herman li is an idiot of a human being, the stupid stuff he comes out with on youtube about how much R&D went into it. Plus how its only expensive because its a premium guitar (he still gets the money doesnt he!!)

But the guitar is ok, i played a prototype and it wasnt anything truely special, the J customs and Prestige guitars are much nicer than the E Gen, on the plus side the neck is pretty nice
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
almost the same neck as a JEM(spec wise) so probably plays like a JEM goddamn bloody brilliantly........
Unfortunately I haven't played one, but I know that they're great guitars.
I saw one and I was like "You're steppin' close to Vai, Herman!"
But I've warmed to it, I'm a lil' more towards S series than RGs and I love the JEM, so if it wasn't so expensive I'd consider it.
Quote by LP_CL
Hey proggy, to make it even more difficult for you: Why don't you get REAL old school quality with that money and buy a Jackson USA?

hehehehe, I'm evil

That's also a consideration of mine.The PC1 is sex in the form of a guitar as well,as are the bolt neck USA soloist models if you can find them.The way I see it my choices boil down to these options:

- Egen
- J Custom of some sort
- High end Jackson,maybe a CS
- Decked out Carvin with a pup swap
- Crazy Warmoth build

Lately all I've been playing is my MIJ Jackson and my Ibanez models,so I'm leaning towards them ATM.

Quote by nyandres
No but they can always get the best necks mr Jackson man... I hadn't been on these forums for a long while, but I see you still hate ibanez.

And that's my fullest right?
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by Vlasco
Ibanez predates Jackson by a ton though?

Yes they do, but what i ment was that Jackson still build their guitars the oldschool way: Handmade, quartersawn necks, oldschool trems, ...
While Ibanez goes with the modern flow, and builds more modern guitars.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Yes they do, but what i ment was that Jackson still build their guitars the oldschool way: Handmade, quartersawn necks, oldschool trems, ...
While Ibanez goes with the modern flow, and builds more modern guitars.

Except that the best part of the Ibanez company is still their superb hollowbodies. In my opinion.
i cant wait till i can play one, they look amazing.

plus, im sure the resell value is ****, so if i absolutely love it, im sure i can find a used one for much cheaper if i look hard enough.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by Vlasco
Except that the best part of the Ibanez company is still their superb hollowbodies. In my opinion.

Agreed completely!
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by conor1148
i cant wait till i can play one, they look amazing.

plus, im sure the resell value is ****, so if i absolutely love it, im sure i can find a used one for much cheaper if i look hard enough.

You can find them cheaper if you look.I found one new for $1850,which is a pretty big price drop.

If you want a Japanese made guitar try to get it from a dealer in Japan,they all seem to be much cheaper than in the states.

Page 1 of 2