Ok, so I was talking to my friend on aim and i told him i got a strat, and he said "i just dont like strats because the strings are to close together, but they sound great" What the heck?? Are strats known for having their strings really close together, or is that just opinion?
Gear
Fender MIM hss strat 1997
Marshall Class 5
Line 6 Floor Pod Plus
OCD drive

I love classic rock.
they're actually farther apart...
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
yeah, strats have their strings really apart, well, maybe there are exceptions, but i generally feel the strings apart when i play that ****
Quote by mikeyElite
they're actually farther apart...

At the bridge. They've got a narrower nut then Gibson-esque guitars, which are narrower then Ibanez-esque necks.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
At the bridge. They've got a narrower nut then Gibson-esque guitars, which are narrower then Ibanez-esque necks.

that's interesting, never really noticed it got narrower. thanks
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Old, traditional Strats certainly had slimmer nuts than Gibson guitars of the same era.

These days though, both companies make their standard nuts about the same size, around the 42.5mm mark give or take depending on the year.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Aug 4, 2009,
I was under the impression they're 41(F), 42(G) and 43(I).
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
ok, just wondering. BTW, i love my strat
Gear
Fender MIM hss strat 1997
Marshall Class 5
Line 6 Floor Pod Plus
OCD drive

I love classic rock.
Quote by fender--player1
Ok, so I was talking to my friend on aim and i told him i got a strat, and he said "i just dont like strats because the strings are to close together, but they sound great" What the heck?? Are strats known for having their strings really close together, or is that just opinion?

He might have tried out a squier affinity series strat or something. i used to have one as my first guitar and couldnt play some open chords because of the strings, thats why i went to ibanez, lol.
Quote by STABxYOU
I was under the impression they're 41(F), 42(G) and 43(I).
Go back twenty years or earlier, and you'd be right. But most Fender necks now are made with a 42.8mm nut, Gibson do a few more neck sizes than Fender do but they're all in the 42-43mm range, Ibanez to the best of my understanding were more in the 44mm range minimum, if not nearly 45mm.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Go back twenty years or earlier, and you'd be right. But most Fender necks now are made with a 42.8mm nut, Gibson do a few more neck sizes than Fender do but they're all in the 42-43mm range, Ibanez to the best of my understanding were more in the 44mm range minimum, if not nearly 45mm.

According to my just completed research Fender = 41.9, Gibson = 43.

Correction, Mexi-Fender = 41.9. Amer-Fender = 43.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Last edited by STABxYOU at Aug 4, 2009,
Just go to the Fender site itself, very clearly states: nut width on Am Standard Strats, 42.8mm

You're still looking up the old nut width from 30 years ago and earlier.