Page 1 of 2
I was thinking about getting a Marshall Haze amp. Most likely the 40 watt, as it is less expensive. Is it a very good amp? I tried it out, and its nice. But I want UGs opinion. I mainly play Classic rock, blues-based rock, hard rock, etc. I currently have a Marshall MG15DFX. I am reluctent about it because to get good 60s, 70s rock tone, you turn the volume up on the clean channel. And that doesn't work on my current amp. And I don't want to get ripped off.

So, do any of you have the Haze? Do you like it. Should I get the 40 watt combo, or the 15 watt mid-stack. I want your say.

EDIT: My budget is from $500-$800 (i mainly am gonna save up) And I plan to gig smaller venues, as my band is just getting off the ground.

EDIT2: To Gabel, I live in Nebraska. My local music store mainly sells Marshalls. But there is a store in Omaha (Dietze Music House) that sells Vox.
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Last edited by guitarlord28 at Aug 5, 2009,
I've never played it but I heard it isn't very good
Fender 70s series Stratocaster
Vox V847A wah
Boss BF-3
Ibanez TS-9DX
^ so youre saying ts sucks but youve never played it?
TS ive played the haze it wasnt bad but it wasnt great either. It was overpriced in my opinion
What's your budget?
Are planning to gig?
Are you willing to go used?
Because I think A Vox AC15cc1 might be your best bet
Used Peavey Classic 30? I just bought one off Ebay, we'll see what it's like when it arrives on Monday.
Quote by Supersonic64
^ so youre saying ts sucks but youve never played it?
TS ive played the haze it wasnt bad but it wasnt great either. It was overpriced in my opinion
What's your budget?
Are planning to gig?
Are you willing to go used?
Because I think A Vox AC15cc1 might be your best bet

i agree whole heartedly, although i play mainly funk and jazz out of my ac15, with a boost it gets into classic rock territory, and it does it really well.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by Darkflame
i didn't have the time to try it, but my local music store just tried it, and when i talked about it with one of the salesmen, he told me it was horrible, one of the worse amps he's ever tried, and that he'd even rather have a spider than one of these

Bull****.

First of all, salesmen don't talk poorly about any piece of equipment they might potentially sell.

Second of all, unless any of you have played a Haze, shut up. It's a perfectly good amp, though overpriced. I can already see what's happening to the Haze: people are talking poorly about it even though they have no idea what it sounds like. They figure that since it is a cheaper Marshall, it must suck. The Haze will be the next Line 6 Spider or Marshall MG, by ignorant word of mouth.

TS, the Haze is a tube amp, which is why the amount of distortion increases with the volume. As you drive the tubes more, they "break up", causing an overdrive sound. The clean channel at low volumes is very clean, but at higher volumes breaks up into blues and finally classic rock territory.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by philipp122
Bull****.

First of all, salesmen don't talk poorly about any piece of equipment they might potentially sell.

Second of all, unless any of you have played a Haze, shut up. It's a perfectly good amp, though overpriced. I can already see what's happening to the Haze: people are talking poorly about it even though they have no idea what it sounds like. They figure that since it is a cheaper Marshall, it must suck. The Haze will be the next Line 6 Spider or Marshall MG, by ignorant word of mouth.

TS, the Haze is a tube amp, which is why the amount of distortion increases with the volume. As you drive the tubes more, they "break up", causing an overdrive sound. The clean channel at low volumes is very clean, but at higher volumes breaks up into blues and finally classic rock territory.

+1
Im tired of these bandwagoners saying its a mg with tubes.
Quote by philipp122
Bull****.

he did tell me this because he knows me, i'm a regular customer, i go there once a week, and they all know me by my name. i asked him for an honest opinion of the amp and he told me it was crap. i didn't try it myself, so i can't tell what i think of it, i'm just saying i trust what he told me.

however, i would not say anything about the amp before trying it and hearing it.
its a marshall tube amp that was produced in 09. Hate to be the one to say it, but real recent marshals are like Gibby's IMO. None really impress me, and the few that do cant hold up to a better quality, cheaper amp/guitar. So, id say dont. Havent played one, unfortunately, but i wouldnt. If you do though, try b4 you buy
Quote by Darkflame
he did tell me this because he knows me, i'm a regular customer, i go there once a week, and they all know me by my name. i asked him for an honest opinion of the amp and he told me it was crap. i didn't try it myself, so i can't tell what i think of it, i'm just saying i trust what he told me.

however, i would not say anything about the amp before trying it and hearing it.

I bet your one of those trolls who go in there, stay in there for up to an hour, just playin guitars, not buyin anything.

My brother works at a GC, and he says you can tell who those people are. It's like going to a used car dealership, just to test drive different cars every week, your teasing them.

On topic, the Haze is a fine amp. It is comparable to a fender, but not by much. It has nice overdrive, but like all marshalls, it's cleans arent to die for(as apposed to a fender). The effects are a nice touch, and seeing that your a Hendrix fan, the Vibe on the amp is nice. I'd wait a little for them to work out the kinks that come with every new amp(ventilation problems, circutry, etc.)

When i tried it, I saw nothing wrong about it, other than it being a marshall(I never really liked the brand). for your styles, it would be fine, but I'd check out some other tube amps at that price, cause you can get a nice fender for that amount of money
Theres a sweet demo video on Youtube pitting it against the Vox Night-train I think. The marshall sounded dark, good for metal I suppose.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by willwelsh816
I bet your one of those trolls who go in there, stay in there for up to an hour, just playin guitars, not buyin anything.

no i'm not, i own a huge pedalboard with lots of pedals, a few guitars, a few amps, and i have all in all a lot of stuff. when i try stuff and i like it, i come back the week after to buy it.
and i barely ever try any guitar, i'm quite happy with mines thanks.
Quote by Darkflame
i didn't have the time to try it, but my local music store just tried it, and when i talked about it with one of the salesmen, he told me it was horrible, one of the worse amps he's ever tried, and that he'd even rather have a spider than one of these

I would concur with this statement...although I would never bash gear in front of a customer....Still, I really wanted to like it, but the only thing decent was the clean channel and it was still pretty lifeless. The crunch channel was a joke...no definition, fuzzy, lifeless, woofy......it was quite awful. The MG series has a better crunch tone (seriously). I spent about 2 hours on it, with 3 different OD and boosts (Fulltone OCD, Ibanez TS9, EHX LPB1) and 3 different guitars (PRS Cust 24, Gibson LP Traditional Pro, Fender 52 Reissue Tele) and it blew.

Save 300 dollars, buy a Bugera V22 and smile as your tone pisses all over the Marshall Haze

SIDENOTE: Normally I am quite level headed about stuff like this, however for some reason this amp upsets me. I think its that Marshall had the nerve to make so much hype around an amp that I'm sure even they realize sounds awful and doesn't deserve the Marshall name on it
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Last edited by Bloodshed at Aug 5, 2009,
I liked it just ridiculously overpriced. Still would prefer a modded blackheart to it.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Maybe if it were $349 dollars it would be fine....but with all the $600 tube amps out there, it should at least be able to hold a candle
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
I'm not a big fan of them. I didn't find much versatility within a similar volume range with the Haze. I tried the 15 watt halfstack. It wasn't that it sounded bad, because it didn't. But I basically found it to be a one trick pony, and $600-$700 is a lot of money for a one trick pony.

And don't listen to anybody that says it's an MG with tubes or anybody that says they haven't played it yes somehow has an opinion. Sound clips and video clips do absolutely nothing to accurately represent an amp, imo.
I havent heard good things, here, at my local shop, or from the Gutiar Tech/Buddie of mine. Its not that its bad, just not great. When you shell out 700 bones, you want better than average.

If I had 600 bucks Id buy a used RI Bassman. theres one on ebay with a cigarette burn for 600 BIN. Saw it this morning.

No drive channel, but better than the haze?
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
^-- Meh, I had a RI Bassman LTD and couldn't get good cleans at high volumes. It was crazy ice picky. At loud volumes the highs were actually painfully bright when clean. I owned it for several months and EQ'd it every way from Sunday and just wasn't ever happy with it. I was so disappointed!

That being said, it is really freakin LOUD. I believe that it was definitely the loudest sounding amp I have ever played (including much higher wattage tube heads and combos). If you don't really need it to be crazy loud, it sounds freakin' sweet. It was only when it was really loud that the cleans were painfully brittle. On the other hand, to get that sweet, sweet breakup that the amp does have... you have to really get it loud. At lower volumes (which is still pretty damn loud), the clean is beautiful and the natural overdrive sound when cranked is really warm and thick. You get some really nice tube clipping and speaker breakup from the 4x10. It has a really awesome swirly, open, airy sound that I loved. If only those loud cleans didn't make my ears bleed...
whats really funny is all the idiots flaming this amp that havent tried it. morons, pure and simple. it should be good for what you play. if it works for you, use it. fuk the idiots. every haze thread ends in "mg with toobs", the demos arent all bad.. diff guitars, diff settings etc... trust your ears, most of UG hates this amp, never having tried it. they should use a haze to amplify their fail, it would sound better with some chorus and reverb...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
my buddy who's into the classic rock genre loves the haze but he thinks it's a little overpriced for what you get though.

But it lacks cleans though IMO.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Let me make this perfectly clear- I HAVE PLAYED ONE.

Its ok, but nothing that great. I didn't like the drive channel, and to me it was a bit overpriced for what it delivered. Its not a bad amp, i'm just saying you can do better for the money imo. Like a Vox AC15...

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
People who are the band wagon say its an mg with tubes, but people who have played it, like myself say its not a bad amp, much better than the mg, the haze cab really dosen't do it justice though. When you fork out that much money you want something better than the haze, its not bad, just overpriced. There's alot of competition in that budget range, and the haze just isn't up to par with the rest of them.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I played the combo and I thought it was pretty decent, but overpriced. I found the drive to be a bit muddy (which is where the speaker swap would benefit, I found myself with cranked treble on a regular basis) but it also had pretty good cleans.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I actually think they sound pretty good...

Oh might I add, I was able to sit down with one for a very short period of time, maybe 5-10 minutes max, and my first impression is that it reminded me, in ways, of a more coherent version of a Tiny Terror. The tone is actually a tad Orange-ish in EQ as opposed to a Marshall, though it is not really Orange-y in texture and overall voicing, it has that growly, round, emphasis in the low mids. It has a stiffer overall feel than an Orange and is less fuzzy, but in some ways similar.

It certainly sounds no worse than a TT in my opinion.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 5, 2009,
Quote by gregs1020
it would sound better with some chorus and reverb...

Which is also to say that, run dry, the tone isn't great and you'd need some modulation to putty over the amp's weaknesses.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by gregs1020
whats really funny is all the idiots flaming this amp that havent tried it. morons, pure and simple. it should be good for what you play. if it works for you, use it. fuk the idiots. every haze thread ends in "mg with toobs", the demos arent all bad.. diff guitars, diff settings etc... trust your ears, most of UG hates this amp, never having tried it. they should use a haze to amplify their fail, it would sound better with some chorus and reverb...

Let me make this very clear....as I said in my post previously, I HAVE played it, and really put it through the ringer in testing it. I didnt play it for 10 mins, but 2 hours with different settings, different guitars, different boosts.....I'm not blindly flaming, I just really didnt like it.....if someone else likes it, kudos to them

Also, I tried the 40watter....the smaller one might actually sound good, idk

This is why I like HC better
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Last edited by Bloodshed at Aug 5, 2009,
Well I have played it. Both of them.

The cab and speakers on both versions is just awful. The head sounds pretty good with a decent cab, but then you could just spend your money on a better amp. The Haze isn't as bad as people make it, but overpriced.

To TS: Where do you live?

I'd go with a Classic 30 as suggested, a great amp overall. If you're in Europe a Laney VC30 is a better choice though. Also a Blackheart Handsome Devil would be a good idea!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Try the HT-5 from blackstar it will do what you want
Quote by TheWall27

Spot on, JWZ28, spot on.

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Blackstar HT-5
Framus 2x12
So what you are saying is that I should go for the Vox AC15 or Vox AC30? I have no experiance with Vox. Can it get good, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Hendrix, etc., sounds? I know it gets good Queen sound.
Quote by Bloodshed
I would concur with this statement...although I would never bash gear in front of a customer....Still, I really wanted to like it, but the only thing decent was the clean channel and it was still pretty lifeless. The crunch channel was a joke...no definition, fuzzy, lifeless, woofy......it was quite awful. The MG series has a better crunch tone (seriously). I spent about 2 hours on it, with 3 different OD and boosts (Fulltone OCD, Ibanez TS9, EHX LPB1) and 3 different guitars (PRS Cust 24, Gibson LP Traditional Pro, Fender 52 Reissue Tele) and it blew.

Save 300 dollars, buy a Bugera V22 and smile as your tone pisses all over the Marshall Haze

SIDENOTE: Normally I am quite level headed about stuff like this, however for some reason this amp upsets me. I think its that Marshall had the nerve to make so much hype around an amp that I'm sure even they realize sounds awful and doesn't deserve the Marshall name on it

What the hell kind of volume were you playing this thing at? Turn the thing up man. I liked the OD channel a hell of a lot more than the clean, which broke up too soon. The OD channel isn't the best-sounding drive channel out there but it sounds perfectly fine and is nothing to complain over, other than what you're paying for it.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by guitarlord28
I was thinking about getting a Marshall Haze amp. Most likely the 40 watt, as it is less expensive. Is it a very good amp? I tried it out, and its nice. But I want UGs opinion. I mainly play Classic rock, blues-based rock, hard rock, etc. I currently have a Marshall MG15DFX. I am reluctent about it because to get good 60s, 70s rock tone, you turn the volume up on the clean channel. And that doesn't work on my current amp. And I don't want to get ripped off.

So, do any of you have the Haze? Do you like it. Should I get the 40 watt combo, or the 15 watt mid-stack. I want your say.

EDIT: My budget is from $500-$800 (i mainly am gonna save up) And I plan to gig smaller venues, as my band is just getting off the ground.

EDIT2: To Gabel, I live in Nebraska. My local music store mainly sells Marshalls. But there is a store in Omaha (Dietze Music House) that sells Vox.

Ok! Wellt hanks for the info, this does a lot.

Well for that price I'd say get an Egnater Rebel 20 instead. An amp that is perfect for classic rock but has some great features. It's made by ex-Marshall empoyees and has some cool stuff on them you'd only find on boutique amps.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
+1

The Rebel 20 may not be for everyone but I quite liked it. It has power fiddling you can do with a 1 - 20w power variance and you can swing from 6L6 to EL84 tubes or mix. Not sure how much of a gimmick that is but I could hear 'something' while turning the these knobs

Here is some stuff used that I would consider. Based on another CList post the MesaBoogie is probably a Caliber.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/msg/1302712941.html
http://omaha.craigslist.org/msg/1302192007.html
http://omaha.craigslist.org/msg/1297334815.html
http://omaha.craigslist.org/msg/1295408415.html
Add me to the liked the haze list but think there are better options. I prefer the tone of these in this order:

1. Randall RM20
2. Blackstar HT-5
3. Egnator Rebel 20
4. Marshall Haze

Number 1 and 2 really were a toss-up until you factor budget. The HT-5 won out with me cause of that.
Last edited by mbob at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by Darkflame
no i'm not, i own a huge pedalboard with lots of pedals, a few guitars, a few amps, and i have all in all a lot of stuff. when i try stuff and i like it, i come back the week after to buy it.
and i barely ever try any guitar, i'm quite happy with mines thanks.

o, well you seemed like that kinda person, sorry
Quote by ragingkitty
Which is also to say that, run dry, the tone isn't great and you'd need some modulation to putty over the amp's weaknesses.

read my post, you are quoting me out of context. the fail posts need chorus and reverb. and bloodshed, my rant was directed at those who havent tried the amp, dont jump to conclusions, read.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I OWN THE 40 COMBO, and I used to use an MG50DFX until it stopped working. I still have it though. -

I think the cleans sound really really great. Like, really great. I agree with those above who said that the overdrive channel is a bit muddy. That's fixable with a decent drive pedal though. The only complaint I have so far is that the mids always seem just the tiniest bit too high. Nothing major though... I find that it sounds different depending on where I'm standing in relation to it. It only sounds a little too "mid-dy" if I'm sitting right in front of it about a foot and a half away. You can see how any amp might sound kind of bad with that kind of range.
Once again, I have to say that the cleans sound almost heavenly. To those who said it sounds kind of like an Orange, they are correct.

Considering the bandwagoners who say it's an MG with tubes, I used to think the exact same thing. I bought the Haze without being able to try it first, so I was praying to God that this was not the case. The only thing that this amp has in common with the MG series is the built in effects. Allow me to elaborate on those:

The effects on the MG sucked balls. Hard. And liked it. The Haze effects are actually not that bad. Not exceptional, but decent. I only really tried them once on the day I got it, because I have a Digitech RP255 that I use. The really great thing about the Haze is that it allows you to turn the effects completely off. Here is a direct excerpt from the manual:

Turn both the Reverb and Effect Depth to minimum and the entire effects section will be globally disabled. If the effects loop is also turned off via the rear panel switch a further click will be heard from within the amplifier as the effect section is true bypassed mechanically removing the circuit from the amplifier - leaving an all-valve amplifier signal path.

The terrible part of the MG is that it never allowed you to turn the effects off, just turn them all the way down. The footswitch had an fx button, but it only let you activate and deactivate the fx; never turn them off. With the Haze, I can virtually remove all of the effects from the amplifier, leaving me with just an all tube combo. it sounds pretty great, and it's way ahead of where the MG series was.

Aside from this, the boost and bright switches on the Haze sound great too. The closest thing that the MG series had to these was an FDD (frequency dependent dampening) button, which when pushed in basically just quieted all of the humming and digital noise that the digital amp and FX were making. I had to leave it pushed in all the time and it still sucked. The boost button on the Haze actually does boost the amp, not just make it louder. It adds an aspect of tone that wasn't there before. Same with the Bright switch. It adds a lot more presence to the tone, not just higher treble.

Overall, I say that the Haze is a really great amp. It's exactly the same price as the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, another 40W combo. Plus it adds several features that the Hot Rod doesn't have, giving you more bang for your buck. If you don't want the extra features, you can bypass them completely and have the same thing. I'm glad I bought it.

TL;DR- The Marshall Haze 40 combo has amazing cleans evocative of an Orange amp. It is also DEFINITELY NOT an MG with tubes.
Quote by Altoidwithmelon
Hambonicus, that was epic with a side of win

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

Proud member of the "I don't believe in global warming clan".
Quote by philipp122
Bull****.

Yes, yes they do. I've been talked out of buying several amps because the salesman told me their quality was poor.
To Hambonicus

I would mainly play on the cleans, and just add volume to get more classic rock style distortion. Can it get a very good clean, almost no distortion, tone?

To Gabel

The thing is, I have only owned one amp (Marshall MG15DFX) and I have never even heard of some of the amps you suggested. So they are good? They get a good classic rock, Zeppelin, AC/DC sound?
Page 1 of 2