http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/bass_pickupsfenderjazzusa.htm

I was looking at the Original Jazz Bass Set, but because I use the bridge pickup almost exclusively, I also was looking at buying the Noiseless jazz pickups.

My question is: how do they compare tone-wise? Are they the same, or are there any diffences, even subtle ones?

I can live without noiseless pups, but if it's possible, I'd love to not have that hum.
Rig of Doom:
1. Custom Warmoth Fretless Jazz
2. Geddy Lee Jazz (backup)
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
losing the hum is better obtained by adding some snail tape and checking your grounding, IMO.

there is a loss of top end and 'quack' attributed by the coil.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
^Personally, I've never heard any loss of top end or "quack". I think any jazz bass owner without noiseless pickups is a nutcase, I just couldn't stand it before I got noiselesses...esesesss... However, I would recommend you go whole hog and get the Samarium Cobalt Noiseless from Fender. They're all around higher quality pickups with a much superior sound to the Vintage Noiseless ones. You pay a little bit more, but you're paying for better quality, better sound and better technology. All in all they're similar pickups, the SCNs are just that further step forwards in evolution.
^ I would agree to the last part- though like Bartolini's models, they manage to embrace the loss by making the pickup sound rather buttery. Butterlini?

and it is not a super huge difference, I just like to have as much quack as possible.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

How are the SCNs any different?
Basically, if I have vintage pickups on my bass, and I replace them, what exactly will change in my tone?
I'm all for "the next step in evolution", but I want some tangible difference in tone.
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
I haven't spent enough time A/Bing the two pickups to give a very in depth answer, but I have spent enough time to say that the SCNs have a little bit less of a vintage vibe, that's not to say they're super modern but they're definitely less old school than the Vintage. They also sound a little bit more full with more depth, which I guess could be construed by some (Hummie, perhaps? ) as to be a loss of high end and quack. They're definitely less brittle to my ear as well. If you're looking for a massive difference in tone then you may as well go for the Vintage because the tone is going to be that familiar Fender sound. It's a little like the difference in the Highway 1 and MIA Standard. It's not huge, but everything is just kind of... better.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I haven't spent enough time A/Bing the two pickups to give a very in depth answer, but I have spent enough time to say that the SCNs have a little bit less of a vintage vibe, that's not to say they're super modern but they're definitely less old school than the Vintage. They also sound a little bit more full with more depth, which I guess could be construed by some (Hummie, perhaps? ) as to be a loss of high end and quack. They're definitely less brittle to my ear as well. If you're looking for a massive difference in tone then you may as well go for the Vintage because the tone is going to be that familiar Fender sound. It's a little like the difference in the Highway 1 and MIA Standard. It's not huge, but everything is just kind of... better.

yes indeed. I noticed when comparing two preamped Fender jazzes, I had to turn the the treble up on the used and modded MIA to match the treble on the stock MIM. this made me sad. so I asked what was up with it. Fender noiseless pickups was the response, then some garbage about body wood. it makes a slight difference, but not as much as pickups anyways. I was later talking to a pickup builder on UG (corduroyEW) and he mentioned a loss of quack in noiseless strat pickups as the reasoning for his dislike of them. if I was offered a perfect bass, but it was with noiseless pickups, I'd buy it still. but the closest to flat you can get with your preferred tone and EQ preferences, the better it usually is. I think anyways.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

ok cool, thanks guys.
Still might go for stock, we'll have to see.
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
Quote by LeperMessiah_
ok cool, thanks guys.
Still might go for stock, we'll have to see.

try both.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard