My friend's the guitarist for a cover band (only covers at the moment, will hopefully be writing originals in time) that mainly plays Led Zep & ACDC style covers, basically blues/rock/hard rock in general (they don't do metal at all, not even classic metal like 80's thrash/hair). She wants a new amp to upgrade from her current Line 6 Spider III 120w combo that she bought ages ago and I'm guessing got con'd into it by a store employee as many do... She doesn't know much at all about guitar amps and doesn't really have an ear for tone yet so I said I'd help scout some good ones that meet her needs. Her band is just starting to gig regularly and the venues are small to medium sized, like 100-200 people max I would say.

I've found a Fender Hotrod Deluxe (40w all tube 1x12 combo) in a local store going for 1.3k-ish AUD (negotiable) and after some sound clip research it seems a pretty nice recommendation for her at the moment.

Any opinions on this amp in relation to the purpose I described?

Any other recommendations for like 1k-ish AUD amps of that style that're easily found in Perth?

Also, I found a Peavey Classic 30 (may have been a 50, cant remember) for like 1.5k AUD (negotiable). Thoughts on that?
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Aug 4, 2009,
I don't get why people think that salespeople con beginners into buying Line 6 Spiders.
Quote by al112987
I don't get why people think that salespeople con beginners into buying Line 6 Spiders.

Because they do...

And if you've got nothing relevant to say GTFO.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
I just went through a similar situation and picked up a Classic 30. The best part is it seems to sound great stock but you can change the speaker and the tubes to make it that much better. I can make some sound clips when it arrives on Monday if you're interested but there are already alot on youtube.
Quote by James13v
Because they do...

And if you've got nothing relevant to say GTFO.

****ing ****, where have all the manners gone on this damned board?

Jesus titty ****ing christ.

And I would not use a Fender Hot Rod for Led Zeppelin and AC/DC.
Quote by Darkflame
woah... i'm so happy to live here, where stuff is so much cheaper...

to me, the peavey would be better than the fender, simply because the fender's OD will be disastrous

Ok, I haven't tried either personally as I'm more of a high gain player. I will try both this Saturday when we both go scouting around town, if the stores still have them in.

Quote by mattvl
I just went through a similar situation and picked up a Classic 30. The best part is it seems to sound great stock but you can change the speaker and the tubes to make it that much better. I can make some sound clips when it arrives on Monday if you're interested but there are already alot on youtube.

Ahk, good to hear, thanks. Don't worry about clips just for my cause, both my friend and myself will probs/hopefully get a chance to try one out in person this weekend.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by imgooley
****ing ****, where have all the manners gone on this damned board?

Jesus titty ****ing christ.

And I would not use a Fender Hot Rod for Led Zeppelin and AC/DC.

Lol, ok then, opinion duely noted.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by Darkflame
^and you're not supposed to double post =p

but yeah, i don't really know what else to suggest, maybe a vox ac15, although it might not be crunchy enough.. try the marshall haze, even though it has mixed review ?

This I am aware of lol, the quote wouldn't paste into the other post for some reason.

Ok, yeh I was looking at the AC15's will check them out, haven't seen any Hazes in stock anywhere but will keep an eye out for them.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
both zep and AC/DC use brittish voiced amps. actually, both page and angus are known for using marshalls. page did use a bunch of amps in the studio (including fenders) but something voiced like a marshall is probably going to be the best bet for that kind of music.

the peavey classics are nice and do a pretty good brittish crunch, but i find that i turn more to my blackheart little giant for that type of sound than my classic 30. i dont know how much the blackheart amps are going for in aussie land, but the 15w one should be able to do smaller gigs (if really clean cleans arent crucial). the peavey classic is a good choice though, and the crate v series is going to be similarly voiced (and maybe a bit cheaper). traynor ycv40 is another option for a brittish sounding amp, but ive got no idea if they are available or what they would be priced like.
Quote by Darkflame
^i'd add my voice to the ycv40, i have the wine red version, with a celestion vintage 30, and it sounds beautiful

Traynors are non-existent in Australia unfortunately
goolz and jof nailed it... using a hrd for those bands is like using a cucumber for a bass... try a vox ac or old crate vc for christ sake. or just boost the fuk outta your mids.. and gtfo? really? gah... the fail abounds...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.