when reading notes on the staff how do you know where to play a certain note

for example: the D note on the 5 fret 5 string rather than the open 4 string

or

the G note on the 3 fret 6 string rather than the open 3 string or 5 fret 3 string

???
i hope i made my question clear enough.
wait. is it indicated by the number with a circle around it, which indicates which string to play it on?
well for one d note on the 5 string 5th fret and open 4 are the same note.

ok you know where middle c is on the staff right?

that c is your 3rd fret of the 5th string or the 8th fret on the 6th string and everything just gets higher from there.

for example the next c above that would be 5 fret 3rd string, 10th fret 4th string etc.
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
ok but if im playing the first scale patttern of Cmajor (starting on Middle C) you dont play D at the open string you play it at the 5 string 5 fret. how do i know this out while reading it.

am i making sense??
Quote by JT747
wait. is it indicated by the number with a circle around it, which indicates which string to play it on?
Yes
^ thank you. now my next question: will those always be there or is it a "crutch" that will go away as i advance?
I remember seeing that sort of thing in some transription but I can't seem to find it now. But anyway, I guess it could kinda be seen as a crutch because most won't have that. If you're playing classical guitar, most newer classical transcriptions have fingerings which you can use to tell what string the note is on, but if it's jazz or any sheet music that is made for any other instruments to play it will just be the notes.
Quote by JT747
ok but if im playing the first scale patttern of Cmajor (starting on Middle C) you dont play D at the open string you play it at the 5 string 5 fret. how do i know this out while reading it.

am i making sense??

It doesn't matter - you'll never "play the first scale pattern of C major" in an actual song. It's down to you to choose the best place to finger each note, based on the sound you want, how easy it is to get to that note from the one you just played and how easy it'll be to get the next one.

Remember, a scale pattern just shows you where the notes of that scale are, that's it...they don't tell you how or when to use those notes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com