Hey, I don't use the forums too much, if this is already spammed throughout the topics, my apologies. Anyways, to the point:

I'm trying to get into writing a song. I've been messing around on Guitar Pro and have it all set, but I want to actually record it. But I know nothing about recording.
What I have:
ESP LTD EX400 (It's a metal machine with active pickups)
Peavey JSX Head (120W of death and win)
BOSS NS-2 (Kills ring and buzz on the amp)
Egnater cab ($500 used, it's a decent tube cab)
Simmons SD9K (Nice electric drumset I have)
A PC running crappy Windows XP (It works, but it's not amazing at all)

Now, which should I use: The computer types of recording, or those ones that just record with a mic? I'm worried that I might get unwanted noise or that it wouldn't sound too good with a mic, and I'm worried that if I plug it into a computer that the computer will asplode. 120W is QUITE a bit, and I don't know if it's too much.

I checked the sticky, and it didn't really tell me anything relating to the Watts of an amp. Is that relevant at all? Also, the sticky didn't give me an actual opinion. I want it to be a pretty heavy metal song (deathcore, kinda, it's in drop C), and I don't want an "I'm standing in a small room with a hell of a lot of musical equipment" sound...

I looked at GarageBand, but I don't have a Mac (dammit), otherwise I was looking into one of the numerous BOSS recording things. Anyone have any of these, give me any feedback on them?

Also, the room with all my equipment is upstairs, and my computer is downstairs. I don't have a laptop, and REALLY don't want to transport either.

Opinions? Thanks.

\m/

By the way, I put this in recording topics thing, that place is a graveyard, and I'm technically asking about gear.
Not wanting to transport it will make it harder but not too much more, you could use some long long ass cables or get a seperate recording device, like a multitrack. I personally have a Roland CD-2, and it works, I never really figured it out for recording since I use Pro Tools on my computer but i use it for recording a live preformance.

Okay back on track, you should probably look into a multi track recorder. I'll get some up soon.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
[Stares at first one]

WOW, only $14?!?!?
Ha, kiddin'.

But I'm really new at this recording crap, can you specify what a multitrack is, exactly? And the cable that goes from my head to the cab, I would take it out of the cab and put it into that? Are they footswitch controlled, in general?
Quote by Mr_CiNiC
[Stares at first one]

WOW, only $14?!?!?
Ha, kiddin'.

But I'm really new at this recording crap, can you specify what a multitrack is, exactly? And the cable that goes from my head to the cab, I would take it out of the cab and put it into that? Are they footswitch controlled, in general?

Nononononnono!
PLEASE, NEVER PLUG YOUR HEAD INTO ANYTHING OTHER THAN A CAB.

Okay well i don't know how to really explain it easily other than it lets you record multiple tracks and edit them and put the together for a song.
Lets jump in a pool

welll whats the budget....
if you have a crap computer and you want to record quality music with multiple tracks your gonna wanna get that computer up to spec.
whats the processings speed of your current computer.
go to start > right click computer > properties.. it tells you there
do not buy software if the computer isnt to spec.... then after your computer is up to par you gotta put money into the software and interface.

or you can go the other route of recording which is a self contained unit.... tascam portastudio boss makes them fostex and so on they are really neat devices. and handy however you cant expand on them so you cant go buying plugins and stuff that really come in handy.
if you want metal i wouldnt really go with just buying a usb mic. but if your not too serious then its perfect. you can find one for under 100 bucks
Quote by ptftball24
if you want metal i wouldnt really go with just buying a usb mic. but if your not too serious then its perfect. you can find one for under 100 bucks

He said his computer is down stairs and his stuff is upstairs. So he would need a pretty long cable and someone down stairs to hit the record button when he starts, and the end buttom when he stops.
Lets jump in a pool

And if your looking at the self contained units tascam is the way to go.. lot more bang for your buck in my opinion..... and like stated above neverrrrr plug your head into anything other thann a cab.

you gottta get yourself a mic and mostlikely a phantom power supply. illl find you some links
Last edited by ptftball24 at Aug 5, 2009,
That'd be pretty fun to re-enact the beginning of Back to the Future by plugging my head into my computer.

Thanks for your help, have a general idea of what I'll go for. ptft, $180's my max. I'm not incredibly serious about it, but I don't want it to sound like ****, either.
Quote by Mr_CiNiC
That'd be pretty fun to re-enact the beginning of Back to the Future by plugging my head into my computer.

Thanks for your help, have a general idea of what I'll go for. ptft, $180's my max. I'm not incredibly serious about it, but I don't want it to sound like ****, either.

Well good luck, if you decide to go GC make sure to see if you can use a 10% cupon on it.
Lets jump in a pool

Yeah, GC's pissed me off lately, so I'll probably use MusiciansFriend. Got a setup at GC, asked the guy to get my action low as possible without significant buzz. Every fret and even playing open on the bottom three is like white noise. They've ripped me off with crap too much. If I can find it on eBay or something, I'll probably hit that instead of either of those.

Plus, the 10% coupons apply to like, 5 items in the store. >.> Anytime I even think of getting something, the fine print says it doesn't work on it.
if its 180 bucks thenn do this
download audacity and buy a usb mic
audacity is free recoriding software
Quote by ptftball24

Woah. Haa... Okay. So...
Well. ****.

Alright, so I'd need a mic, and I'd need something that expensive? I'm not too interested in putting it onto a CD, so I don't want to pay for somethin' I don't need. I'd just want to put it on a computer, mess with it and put it on a CD if I choose. I'd need an actual mic for this?

So I can't plug my head into a recording thing, but can I plug my head into my cab into the multitrack?
My stuff's all upstairs, though, USB mic is out, I don't even think they make USB extenders 60ft long, ha. With a multitrack, could I put it on it, then bring it to a computer?
Quote by Mr_CiNiC
My stuff's all upstairs, though, USB mic is out, I don't even think they make USB extenders 60ft long, ha. With a multitrack, could I put it on it, then bring it to a computer?

Ya you could bring it to the computer, but you can't plug your cab into the multi track. You would need a mic to record your cab, or if you wanted you could go Direct Input (DI) from your guitar to the multi, but you wouldn't be able to use your amp so idk if thats the best idea. You should also look for a mic, but check CL and eBay for one, Shure SM57's are the standard for micing cabs but one will run you $100 new, but im sure you could find a deal on one.
Lets jump in a pool

i got a lexicon i-onix u22 recently. its a great interface, usb 2.0 for low latency, two mic inputs and it came with cubase 4 le. Its far superior compared to the Tascam Dp/02cf i had. If your able to get a computer interface and get the computer upstairs to record. I think its much nicer and easier than a portable recorder. For me its much easier to see what tracks i've recorded on my computer than it is on the small screen of a portable recorded. Also the quality of the mic preamps on the lexicon are much better than the Tascam, made everything I recorded sound muddy or dull.

No need to worry about the watts of the amp when chosing a interface or recorder, you can always adjust the input volume of the mic preamps. And they usually have level readouts to let you know if your clipping the mic preamps or not.
You can do pro recording quality for a $60 bucks. No need to spend a bunch of moolah

Quote by Me

Dont bother with MIDI ****. You dont record with it. For the XT, you the outputs into your mic slot on your laptop (you may need a $2 converter) For your 6505+, if you can get a good cheap interface, such as http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...face?sku=703606

Then, use the effects loop send to plug into the interface. Then use a DAW that supports VSTs, like Reaper (free) and download some cabinet impulses (found here http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1131250 ) and put them on your DAW using Kefir (free) You will get better recording quality then any POD could ever get, and most of it is free!! (read that article in the second link)

Posted in a thread similar to yours by me. Read the second link to understand what I am talking about. Simple really
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Disturbed, that second link you mentioned, not workin'.

And I definitely can't get the computer upstairs. Like, I built a desk AROUND the hard drive. Don't ask...

And how much does that Lexicon run for?
I figured I'd try and help all the people who can't afford 5150's and Mesa Cabs, or even those that can and have trouble getting a good miced sound.

I already have a cab and a $1300+ head.
That link was really helpful, but I wanna use my amps. If I just mic the cab, do I still have to go through all that crap?
Hold up. You ARE using your amp. You just wont be using your cab :/ Its the same principle, but instead of applying the VSTs to your dry guitar signal, you apply to your amps preamp distortion (plug the effects loop send into your interface) all you need is the cab impulse. No amp or pedal sims. (hope you understand this )
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
$249.99

LINK

In that case. look into some of the Fostex, Roland, Boss recorders. I have some friends that use those brands of portable recorders and they can get some pretty good recordings. Actually, the best recordings I've heard are off of the Fostex recorder.

Heres a cool one, two mic inputs and it comes with two mics.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fostex-MR8-mkII-and-MXL-990-991-Recording-Package-240308-i1168303.gc
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
Hold up. You ARE using your amp. You just wont be using your cab :/ Its the same principle, but instead of applying the VSTs to your dry guitar signal, you apply to your amps preamp distortion (plug the effects loop send into your interface) all you need is the cab impulse. No amp or pedal sims. (hope you understand this )

Iiii get it... The back of the head, the Send and Receive thing that you use with the pedals, using reg cables. Makes more sense. I'll try that out.

If that doesn't work out, I'll definitely go for that $300 Fostex bundle, that seems pretty ideal.

Thanks for the help, guys. Later.
\m/
It really depends on what quality you are looking to record at. If you're looking to make studio quality stuff then you will need to spend big bucks, but if like me you just want to make decent quality home recordings it's much easier. I have a Boss Micro BR pocket multi-track that retails at around £120 sterling (about $180) and it's ideal, especially considering that your equipment is situated a long way from your computer. It's only a little bigger than a guitar tuner, has 4 tracks and digital virtual track's meaning you can bounce a more or less unlimited amount of tracks without loss of quality. It has a reasonable quality on-board mic and also mic and guitar inputs with built in rhythms, effects and amp emulation meaning you can plug your guitar into it direct. The only drawback is that it records your mixes as MP3's so the sound will suffer a little under compresion (though as most people listen to music via mp3s anyway it's not that bad), but I have recorded with it many times with extremely satisfying results. The advantage of this is you can record your stuff in the garage, then stick the Micro BR in your pocket, go to your computer and transfer the mp3 you've just recorded via USB and play with it to your hearts content in any audio editing software you choose. It's small size means you can do your recording practically anywhere and then just dump it onto your pc and do your mastering there. Check it out.
i have boss br600 very good but it has its limitations
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL