ive had a line6 spider2 75W amp since i started playing guitar(3 years ago). now that i have a job, ive been buying quit a bit of pedals.....so now i also want a new amp. i mainly play queens of the stone age and nine inch nails.
i was wondering how big of a difference in quality and performance it would be from switching from my line6, to this standard marshell amp....

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG100DFX-Combo-?sku=483190
Do not get the Marshall MG.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Whats your Budget ?
Are you gonna gig?
Whats your location?
Will you be willing to go used?
downgrading, really?....i got the line6 really cheap.

Whats your Budget ?
less then 600......maybe 700.....
Are you gonna gig?
id like to use it to gig in the future.
Whats your location?
bay area
Will you be willing to go used?
i could go used.....you getting at something? aha
Nah, those are just the general questions you're supposed to answer before they're asked, y'know? Supposed to specify all that, for future reference.

I'd get a half stack, in all honesty. Just save, get an awesome half-stack.
for the money for an MG you could get a nice tube amp. Maybe a Mesa, Peavey, Even a marshall(tube) if you really want one. Of and dont use distortion pedals once you get one. Good Luck, choose wisely.(Mesa)
im thinking for you to get a b-52 at-112. It's under your budget it can gig but its way too loud for home practice but you can use your spider for that.
I would take a digital sounding spider over the terrible MG's anyday. Seriously, with a 600 budget you can do so much better it's not even funny. Go with a nice tube or something like musicfan said.

You could get really nice low-watt amp, then learn how to mic it n put it through a PA if you wanted to gig with it. etc.

Anything but the MG :|
Quote by mooncc
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG100HFX-and-MG412-Half-Stack?sku=581867

would this be something okay?

cause a lot of people will say its a waste, and a lot will say its not...so not really sure.
unless you guys have some suggestions that are always known for being great...

buying the MG halfstack will be like making origami cranes with your money and shove em in your ears until they bleed
Marshall MGs aren't necessarily bad, but they are absolutely TERRIBLE value and you can get something much better for the price.

So please, think about a tube amp. The B-52 like Supersonic suggested if you want to gig. If not maybe the Blackstar HT-5?
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by Mr_CiNiC
Nah, those are just the general questions you're supposed to answer before they're asked, y'know? Supposed to specify all that, for future reference.

No.

TS, for what you want to play/your budget, I recommend these amps:

Peavey Valveking (112, 212 or even stack if you'd like)
Traynor YCV50
Used JCM 800/900/2000 combo
Bugera 333, 333XL or 6262

Quote by Supersonic64
im thinking for you to get a b-52 at-112. It's under your budget it can gig but its way too loud for home practice but you can use your spider for that.

What? It's not too loud for home practice. That's what the volume knob is for, dude.

And before you say it, it sounds fine at low volumes. True, it sounds better cranked, but it still sounds really good even at low volumes.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Last edited by dudetheman at Aug 4, 2009,
thanks a lot, ill look at all your suggestions.

so tube amp over half stack?
whys that?

sorry, my amp knowledge sucks....
It would be like switching from your Mom to your Aunt....
Still just WRONG.
Quote by mooncc

whys that?

Marshall MGs and Spiders are all solid state amps. It means that their circuitry is made up of transistors. SS amps tend to sound quite sterile and trebley.

Tube amps on the other hand sound a lot warmer and the notes you play are a lot clearer. Search 'tube vs solid state' on youtube and you will find some video comparisons.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by mooncc

whys that?

Tube amps (generally) sound better. Tubes in an amp give the amp a more vibrant, warm feel, as opposed to the dry, digital sound of solid-state clipping.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman
Tube amps (generally) sound better. Tubes in an amp give the amp a more vibrant, warm feel, as opposed to the dry, digital sound of solid-state clipping.

DTM! haven't seen you in a while.

And yes, he's correct.

Also, you don't *NEED* a half-stack, you know.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
You'd be downgrading

not a downgrade. i would take an mg over a spider anyday. still, both are pretty crappy amps
ooooo, think ill get a tube then.
plus its nice cause i have an extra room in my house for working out and music haha.
should i pay more than 600/700?......might take 4 weeks to get there...
Half stack just means size. You can buy the sound system for Wembly, but if it sounds like ****, whats the point?
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

5150 combo or Vetta combo if you play metal. Best amps in your price range for metal, bar none. If you play something else, better not ask me
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Quote by DiveRightIn63
DTM! haven't seen you in a while.

And yes, he's correct.

Also, you don't *NEED* a half-stack, you know.

Whatever do you mean?

I've been posting up the GG&A more regularly for about three weeks now and I even had a NAD thread not too long ago.

Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
5150 combo or Vetta combo if you play metal. Best amps in your price range for metal, bar none. If you play something else, better not ask me

He plays modern/post rock (he mentioned NIN and Queens of the Stone Age) so I don't think a 5150 or Vetta will work.

If you're willing to spend more than 600-700 bucks then I recommend a Marshall JCM 800, 900, or 2000, depending on which one better suits your style.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
dudetheman, thanks for understanding, huge help....

wish i had the money for the marshells though aha
Quote by mooncc
dudetheman, thanks for understanding, huge help....

wish i had the money for the marshells though aha

You'll have to go used, of course! Those amps are ridiculously-priced when they're new!

Check your local craigslist and you should be able to find a JCM 900 or 2000 that's within your budget.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Oops, missed that in the first post

But I do agree with the JCM2000 suggestion. Its a shame you cant get it. Maybe look at the DSL401 combo?
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
Oops, missed that in the first post

But I do agree with the JCM2000 suggestion. Its a shame you cant get it. Maybe look at the DSL401 combo?

He could probably find a used 2000 in his price range on craigslist.

If not, the DSL401 is also a good alternative, nice suggestion.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
I have the Marshall MG100, and i gig with it. The other guitar player in my band has the Peavey Valveking 30 thing and it sounds nice, but i prefer the MG. The notable thing about the peavey is it has better low end, and is warmer. But the Marshall can still put out some great tone. I use PRS and Gibsons through it and then from the amp into a B-62 4x12 cab and it sounds massive
Quote by mc_carlini
I have the Marshall MG100, and i gig with it. The other guitar player in my band has the Peavey Valveking 30 thing and it sounds nice, but i prefer the MG. The notable thing about the peavey is it has better low end, and is warmer. But the Marshall can still put out some great tone. I use PRS and Gibsons through it and then from the amp into a B-62 4x12 cab and it sounds massive
I can't tell whether youre joking or not :S
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by dudetheman
Whatever do you mean?

I've been posting up the GG&A more regularly for about three weeks now and I even had a NAD thread not too long ago.

UG Chat :-P
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by Mr_CiNiC

I hope this is a joke.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
^Not a joke, actually solid advice if the TS saves up some money like that man was suggesting.

Quote by mc_carlini

I know that is a lie because there is no Valveking 30.
It's not that solid-state is horrendous, but yes tube is overall generally a warmer, more smoother sound. Avoid the MG. Don't go after it because it says Marshall on it.

But you live in the 'bay. Nice! I used to live there. The CL in your area is off the hook. You should have no problem finding something used with that budget.
I feel i should point out something to TS

Tube and solid state are different types of amps.

Combos, Half Stacks and Stacks are different SIZES of amps.
***Short Sig***