played one of these at my local hole in the wall shop today and really liked it. the neck is what mainly sold me. but the over all tone of the guitar was impressive too, kinda put a little rise back in my faith of EMG's. i really liked how light the alder body was and how the maple neck made it sit just right with a strap. bridge was very comfortable, and i love reverse head stocks. everything about this guitar is great...except for the graphic. the giant flaming skull is just too cheesy for my taste. does anyone know of another ESP like this one minus the paint job?
Sounds like something from the Horizon FR series or the M series...was it a true ESP or an LTD? any pics of something similar??

http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
the horizons in see thru blue are so beautiful but the volume knob gets in the way, so i hope to aquire the schecter in my sig.

i think the flaming skull is from a george lynch model, and he's got several out, or at least he had a bunch of his own models a few years ago.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

ESP M-I NTB, exact same guitar but it's solid black
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by Richmanofaction
Sounds like something from the Horizon FR series or the M series...was it a true ESP or an LTD? any pics of something similar??

I was thinking about getting one of these, what do you think?
Quote by maiden03
Ahhh damn you vinc3nt!

Downpressor man

Where you gonna run to

All along that day

੧_\\\
Quote by vinc3nt
I was thinking about getting one of these, what do you think?

I've played this guitar multiple times when I was researching my Jackson...and I couldn't really find a fault for the price. My only gripe is that it has a rosewood fretboard instead of ebony, but thats my own issue. The pickups were made for metal and thats it- you can tell it was built for a purpose.

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Quote by Richmanofaction
I've played this guitar multiple times when I was researching my Jackson...and I couldn't really find a fault for the price. My only gripe is that it has a rosewood fretboard instead of ebony, but thats my own issue. The pickups were made for metal and thats it- you can tell it was built for a purpose.

Cool, thanks for that. Personally im a big fan of rosewood boards, but again, thats a perosnal thing. Might look into it further.
Quote by maiden03
Ahhh damn you vinc3nt!

Downpressor man

Where you gonna run to

All along that day

੧_\\\
I love the neck on the M-401, It's really nice and flat

And yea...they skull is REALLY cheesy XD
If you like the graphics, go for it. It may sound a little brighter than the others, which have two pickups, due to the minimal circuitry.

I really want an EX Outlaw...
You'll get a whole lot more of guitar for your money if you ditch the lousy graphics. An M1000 will be on the same level in terms of construction, the M-I NTB will be supreme.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Metalfan41
ESP M-I NTB, exact same guitar but it's solid black

Actually that has a neck-thru body joint, whereas the Screaming Skull is set-thru (basically a set neck with the joint ending where the neck pickup would be).

Try again
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
Actually that has a neck-thru body joint, whereas the Screaming Skull is set-thru (basically a set neck with the joint ending where the neck pickup would be).

Try again

The fact it's an ESP whereas the Screaming Skull is an LTD seems more important to me.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Green_Jelly
The fact it's an ESP whereas the Screaming Skull is an LTD seems more important to me.

True, but the LTD is on par with the 400-500 series, which is still awesome. And part of the actual tone of the SS is the fact that it DOES have a set neck joint and the pickup is mounted in alder, not maple. Obviously, mounting the pickup in maple will give the guitar a more sterile fell that turns most people off from EMGs.

If the neck was another big selling point, one could always also go to the F 400 (or 401, but try them out), as it shared the Set-Thru Extra-Thin U neck, although the body is mahogany, which will still sound different, but the difference should be a good one.

Alas, the SS seems to have all the features that TS is looking for. I vote simply to get the SS and refinish it. The great thing about guitars is, if you love everything about it but the finish, you can put a new one on with some sandpaper and a few cans of spray paint.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Last edited by Shinozoku at Aug 5, 2009,
Quote by lp_dude_2
yeah ive looked at the F-401 and like it too, and its actually cheaper. and ive played the lower end F series and i like the way they play

I'd only buy a higher end LTD or ESP- Their lower model range just doesn't do it for me...

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

My friend has the discontinued F 200 and it's a great guitar. Just needs a better trem and pickups in it.

But if you like the Screaming Skull more (compare the two sound-wise and see which one you like better), I'd go for it and spend the $10 on spray paint and sand paper, and just take the week or so that it takes to refinish it.
Quote by Richmanofaction
I'd only buy a higher end LTD or ESP- Their lower model range just doesn't do it for me...

400 is higher range LTD. The deluxe series is gaudy for the most part (aside from the new EC1000 Stealth and the white Viper 1000), the 500 series is only in black with EMGs, and the 600 is artist models and not everybody wants that.
Or are you referring to his reference to the lower end Forests?

Stupid name.

Last edited by Shinozoku at Aug 5, 2009,
Quote by Richmanofaction

me too. i only said how they played. if i wad gonna get a F series id get the F-401 hands down
I've enjoyed the M series in the LTD deluxe range...they play well and reminded me of my Jackson Dinky. The screaming skull is kinda silly...I'd like the variability of more than one pickup in that price range

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

Very true. I miss the neck pickup using my Alexi, but it's great for what I use it for, and I have a separate channel for leads on my amp anyway that I can EQ how I want

Stupid name.

Quote by Jiro from GLAY
Should get the real deal

good GOD man

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic