I normally use the first channel of my classic 30 for cleans and just click my TS7 for overdrive. Today I found a Vox footswitch for my amp so now I don't even need the TS7, as I can click onto the 2nd channel of my Peavey when I want some overdrive.

Anyway, the OD on my amp sounds far, far better than the TS7 on my clean channel and now I can't figure out what to do with my TS7. If I use it as a "boost" on my overdrive channel it sounds absolutely horrible.

I still need my TS7 for my other amp since it doesn't have an overdrive channel, but is there any way I can make use of it with my Peavey?
Quote by drewfromutah
I normally use the first channel of my classic 30 for cleans and just click my TS7 for overdrive. Today I found a Vox footswitch for my amp so now I don't even need the TS7, as I can click onto the 2nd channel of my Peavey when I want some overdrive.

Anyway, the OD on my amp sounds far, far better than the TS7 on my clean channel and now I can't figure out what to do with my TS7. If I use it as a "boost" on my overdrive channel it sounds absolutely horrible.

I still need my TS7 for my other amp since it doesn't have an overdrive channel, but is there any way I can make use of it with my Peavey?

You could turn the drive on the TS7 all the way down and use it as a volume boost.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
I completely forgot how to do it, but you can always make good use of a tube screamer, even if you have a tube amp. I think you turn the level all the way down, and another nob all the way up... I don't remember it, exactly, but I know that Lamb of God uses it. Makes low palm-mutes more clear and heavier. Don't call me on that, but yeah.
I've never used a TS7 to know exactly ( I have played with ts808's, and ts9's, though), but I'm with what the people said above..

turn the gain knob all the way down, and the level knob up. it should act as a clean boost.

idk if the ts7 cleans up very well, but if not, there's always modding it
now my ts is modded so the exact settings wont be the same, but something like with the gain around 8 or 9 o'clock and then the level so it is a bit higher than unity is a start. most people will use an overdrive like the ts as a boost with their tube amp, and this is the way it is set up. you dont want to add too much of the pedals overdrive (i like to do some though) and then push the tubes with a larger signal to get some more natural breakup. you can do this on the clean or gain channel of the amp, and this is how a lot of people get a lead tone. if it sounds horrible doing this with a classic 30, you are probably doing something wrong to be honest. i do it all the time and even if the sound isnt your style, it shouldnt sound horrible.
^-- What mods does your TS have? Did you do them yourself? There's a TS9 on my local craigslist for $50 and I was thinking of picking it up just to tinker with and try to do some mods myself. Never done anything like this and thought it might be fun... but I don't want to risk screwing up one of my pedals that I actually use.

Quote by dudetheman
You could turn the drive on the TS7 all the way down and use it as a volume boost.

Have you tried this? I have two TS9s (one modded and one stock), and I typically use the stock one as nothing more than a little boost.
jim, ive got a keeley modded tubescreamer. i got it before i was comfortable working with pedals, so i didnt do it myself. ive heard its not hard to do some of the stuff keeley does (especially since ive got the most basic one), but without having done it i cant really tell you how intensive it is.

basicly its got the TI TC4558P chip that old TS808's used, which is supposed to help it sound like the 808 (even if that isnt the only difference between the two). then it has some added bass response and slightly less of a mid hump (the mid hump is my opinion). then its got more gain on tap, but also cleans up a bit more. i feel the extra bass response and the extended gain range are well worth having. the fact that it is supposed to be more like the 808 isnt a huge deal, but overall i really like the mods.
^-- Sounds basically exactly the same as my Keeley modded TS9. Mine is the "Mod Plus" version. For me, the corrected bass response along with the more and less drive on tap make it ridiculously better than my stock TS9. It's literally like a completely different pedal.
yeah, it could be the mod plus, i really dont remember what i got. its probably the same thing though. but i agree, it is so much better than stock. i mean i like all tubescreamers stock, and this just out does them.

that said, most tubescreamer style pedals work well as boosts for tube amps so even a stock ts-9 or a ts-7 should work fine as a lead boost. the inherent mid hump is one of the key things there imo, it helps the guitar cut through even if the volume jump isnt large. so drew, i suggest trying out the ts-7 as both a boost on the dirt channel and then as a straight up overdrive on the clean channel. even if you dont like the pedal as a boost, it can still give you a differently voiced choice of overdrive if used with the clean channel (basicly adding pseudo-third channel).