So here's the situation. I'm thinking of upgrading my guitar (Got possibly 400 ish bucks) to something that will keep me going for a while. Been playing almost 2 years on a Squier strat. It's really not been too bad to me but I want to know if a guitar upgrade will do me good.

I was thinking of going the MIM HSS route but I like to play everything from Boston to Steely Dan all the way over to Metallica and A7X. Anyone have a good suggestion for a guitar that I can take a look at?

If all goes well, I'll be playing it through a Peavey Vypyr 30. I play at home so It's just for an upgrade from my frontman+rp150. I couldn't give less of a **** about what amps I can get

All suggests are welcome. Thanks
Save up another 300 dollars and go ahead and get some new pickups for that guitar, and then buy a new one that fits your liking. Unless of course your absolutely in love with your squire. . .
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
i've had my squire for about a year and im already looking to upgrade. this think is punished.
Anyways, im also looking at a new mim strat hss with the floyd rose. im getting it soon because it is basically 2 guitars in one with the humbucker and single coils. ive played every guitar at guitar center and it seems this is the most versatile guitar there. the only thing id do with this guitar though is put in the beefiest humbucker pickups i can find(like bareknuckle pickups). also install a killswitch.

i dont know if this helped but its just what im doing.
@david9d5 Thanks for the suggest. It would probably work well it's just that for some reason SG/LP shapes bother me on a personal level. Gibson... 'Ppreciate it though.

@DGE I'm not hellbent on having an FR and might not even want one at all. And a killswitch? That's not really a req for anything I play...

@Vypor So you're saying to buy new pickups for my Squier? And then get a new one? Waste of cash and time. IMO.
I'm planning to. It should be quite an upgrade from what I got. All I want to get now is a guitar. Still needing suggestions please .
I was going to say to check out the Agile guitars on rondo music (the 3000 and 3100's) but you said you don't like the Gibson shape. Check out your local craigslist listings. I got a really nice strat for more than half off the purchase price. I wouldn't recommend upgrading the squier, I think you should by a new guitar and mod the squier when you come into some cash. After two years many seek an upgrade.
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
Quote by nolifeXD

@Vypor So you're saying to buy new pickups for my Squier? And then get a new one? Waste of cash and time. IMO.

If you think its a waste of cash and time, what were you going to upgrade on your squire in the first place if not the pickups???

I dont ever thinks its a wastes of times and moneys to haves mores thans ones guitars!
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by Vypor
If you think its a waste of cash and time, what were you going to upgrade on your squire in the first place if not the pickups???

I dont ever thinks its a wastes of times and moneys to haves mores thans ones guitars!

There's really no point upgrading a lower end guitar like a Squier if you're going to buy a new guitar anyway. It would be better to just put that money towards a better guitar.
Ibanez RG321mh, ESP EC-256 is what I'd recommend. Awesome guitars IMO
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Ok thanks everyone. I will be sure to check out all of those that you suggested.

and @Vypor again, I was planning on upgrading to a new guitar. Not to replace stuff on my Squier. Sorry for the confusion :P. Any more suggestions are welcome before the weekend. That's probably when I'll be taking my first look around.