So pit i think i want to be a writer, whether novels, poems, or working for a magazine. But the question is what classes should i be taking now(im in 10th grade) to be preparing for this. I want serious opinions please
English.
"I don't care if I fall as long as someone else picks up my gun and keeps on shooting."
Honors English, Journalism possibly?

EDIT: also join the newspaper
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Aug 5, 2009,
Writing/English classes? Journalism/newspaper courses? It's pretty obvious. Hell, you could even take an art course. You might discover a new way to express your creativity.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
Take all the english classes you can. Schools vary with which classes they offer. My class offered college level writing classes, so at some point in your high school career, you may want to consider that. Also, talk to someone who is part of your school administration who would have information on AP classes you may be qualified to take. Finally, once you're on the verge of graduation, I suggest you have some of your english teachers write recommendations for you so you can get into an exceptional writing college. It worked for me :]
GEAR
Ibanez S470 w/ SDS pickups
ESP LTD MG-750
Parkwood PW360M
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
take journalism if you plan on writing in magazines.

and the obvious would be english courses such as creative writing and advanced placement/honors classes.
Sent from my iPad.
i'm not sure where you are, but where i'm from, in high school you just take the classes you think will get you into a good college, and think about gearing your classes towards your intended major later.

meaning, take ap sciences, history, whatever, as well. it looks nice if you get As.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Aug 5, 2009,
AP English and creative writing
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by bassman4694
So pit i think i want to be a writer, whether novels, poems, or working for a magazine. But the question is what classes should i be taking now(im in 10th grade) to be preparing for this. I want serious opinions please

Take your local elementary school's 2nd grade language arts class for the basics. The last sentence is bolded because I am 100% serious, do you seriously want to become a writer?
Quote by kwidjibo1
oh really? i didnt know children of bodom were better than a band far more famous and popular than them, cheers for the update

Quote by Mr.Maccy
Your from the states. I end my case.
thanks. im taking english all four years in high school. I was considering joining the journalism class and the newspaper. also, im not too sure if my school offers creative writing classes. what are some extracurricular activities i could do(other than read)? Also, i used to read a lot, but now im stuck in a slump where all i seem to be able to read are music biographies. Any ideas to get me back into writing? I like books like pillars of the earth and world without end, and deep stuff like ishmael, but blink completely bored the **** out of me. Any ideas?
Quote by masterohumans
None, just write all the time and read alot of books.

+1

Classes you take in highschool wont help that much. You want to build your own foundation of knowledge and practice.
See if your school has a creative writing club, also, see if your school has a student magazine dedicated to poems/prose/short stories submitted by students. If your school doesn't have either, talk to the english teachers and see if you can get one of those started, it really helps.
I wonder how my bass would sound, hooked to a microwave...

HOLY DAMN!!!! THAT WAS BALLS!!!!

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Classes in high school actually help a lot. When you're applying to a writing school, that's one of the first things they look at: the grades you received in your english classes. Aside from that, I agree - reading a lot and writing in your free time help. Practice writing different types of articles (IE. memoirs, editorials, informational pieces, etc.) Increase your understanding and ability when it comes to writing various types of literary works.

EDIT: ACT scores are kind of a big deal, also.
GEAR
Ibanez S470 w/ SDS pickups
ESP LTD MG-750
Parkwood PW360M
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
Take culinary.

Or PE.
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
If your school allows you to, double up on your English. Enroll in creative writing classes, speech and debate/peer-communication, and any other thing that has English credits.

Quote by bassman4694

Also, learn your grammar.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

I'd say AP/Honors English, any Literature classes, creative writing classes, journalism, newspaper, pretty much anything related to writing or literature or english.
I'm going to be a junior and I'm taking newspaper and AP American Lit. I'm considering a writing career as well.
Media studies is a good idea. English Language more so than literature, I think.

also a lot of unis hold summer workshops, which are great to participate in. I've been to a few (mostly revolving around music) and I've meet people whom I still ask questions of today, and send my stuff to them for advice.

In highschool (at least at my school anyway) there aren't a lot of opportunities to really pursue what you want to do specifically. It is more broad (for good reason). So you need to find things outside of school to do.

Even online there are courses and competitions you can enter. heaps of forums you can submit things to.