I have been saving up forever and I now have about $3,000 and I would like to buy a new guitar for live shows and for recording. Now I play technical Death Metal and some Melodic Death Metal.

But I just didn't want to buy one; I wanted to make it mine by heavily customizing it and making it an unstoppable machine of torment!!

My plan is to get a nice Dean V. I love the Deans. And I like the V shape and playing it on my knee. Then I plan to replace the humbucker pickups with Seymour Duncan Invaders. I also plan to install a Floyd Rose Tremelo. Although I would not be actually doing this myself as I am an idiot and would probably blow up my house.

I know there is probably a lot of problems with this.

So is this good? What should I do to better customize it and get a good tone?
Quote by MuffinMan
I hope for a day when circumcised and uncircumcised penises can live together in harmony!

Quote by Kensai
Cowslayer, I recognize you as the Emperor of the universe. I applaud you in your awesomeness.
If you have that much money why not just go all out and go to a luthier? Sure it may take a bit more time but you'll have something that was built exactly to your specs and would be a great guitar provided you go to a good luthier.
Hmmmmm, this could be true......

But would you recommend a solo luthier, or one that works for a company (i.e. ESP or Gibson)?

SO a man who makes guitars or a company that makes guitars?
Quote by MuffinMan
I hope for a day when circumcised and uncircumcised penises can live together in harmony!

Quote by Kensai
Cowslayer, I recognize you as the Emperor of the universe. I applaud you in your awesomeness.
i cant remember but i know theres a site that will build a guitar to your spec and they were centered around metal guitars... can anyone else help me out?
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by TK1
i cant remember but i know theres a site that will build a guitar to your spec and they were centered around metal guitars... can anyone else help me out?

That would be RAN guitars, as used by Pat O' Brien.

TS, if you have 3000$ saved up, then you can indeed get yourself a very shiny new RAN guitar with all the bells and whistles you want.
Last edited by captainoid at Aug 5, 2009,
I'd go for the "solo luthier"... Price will most probably be cheaper since you won't be paying as much for the name. Also, you'll be able to sit down and have a chat with the luthier if you have a builder localy. Just like anything else, make sure you shop around, if you can, looking for someone who specializes in electric guitars. If anything you can always go looking around in GB&C and ask a luthier with extra time on their hands.
Bernie.....Rico......JR!

I believe my point has been made.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Cowslayer
Hmmmmm, this could be true......

But would you recommend a solo luthier, or one that works for a company (i.e. ESP or Gibson)?

SO a man who makes guitars or a company that makes guitars?

If you don't know what you want then go to a solo luthier as they'll be able to talk you through basically the entire process. If you know what you want then go with whoever you want since it's your money.
Hmmm, what about KxK guitars?
Quote by MuffinMan

Quote by Kensai
You could probably get a really nice Warmoth guitar for that price. And with Warmoth, you choose everything, right down to the color of the knobs. I know someone on here got a great looking HSS Strat for like $1700 by them, all it takes is some assembly (and probably some soldering too).