I either have my amp turned up too loud and have my guitarists yell at me for drowning them out, or I can't hear myself at all. Is there something I can do to make me and my bandmates happy? I'd wear headphones but the headphone jack cuts the speaker off.
Don't get bitched around, man. Find a happy medium between "too loud" and "too quiet." If the guitarists want you to turn all the way down to the point where YOU can't even hear yourself, then whats the point in even playing with them?
Quote by Another bassist
Don't get bitched around, man. Find a happy medium between "too loud" and "too quiet." If the guitarists want you to turn all the way down to the point where YOU can't even hear yourself, then whats the point in even playing with them?

It's not like they're cutting me out of the mix completely, it's that I have a hard time hearing myself unless I'm too loud. We've made a couple live recordings and I realized how loud I was in them because you couldn't hear anything but me really. Maybe I'm doing a horrible job at EQing, because I had a really bassy EQ for a while (just changed it to having less bass today for slapping).
Ugh it could have something to do with your frequency knobs. Try adjusting your middle and treble knobs depending on what you play. I saw a pretty good article somewhere on the vast galaxy of the web. Just google something about bass playing with a band and mid, high, and treb frequency's to use.
Peace be thy journey
eq. thats all there is to it. provided u arent all playing super quiet, which i doubt
get a drummer or someone to equal you guys out he should probly be a nuetral third party so he should level you guys out
Frontbassman sucks in the nicest way possible

Kevin and Kelsey 12-03-2007

Generally you want to put your bass amp somewhat close to the drummer, and wherever your standing should be close to the bass amp. You want the drummer to be able to hear you aswell.

The best way, IMO, is to perfect your eq the way you want it, and then have everybody in your band adjust the volume while you all play one single power chord. You want an even sound between everybody.

Nice punchy, boomy bass for the beggining of each chord, and let the guitars ring out the rest of the note.

Maybe im being a bit confusing, catch my drift?
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
try playing with your amp behind you and away from the drums

it worked for me
Vypor has the right idea. if your too loud in live recordings then try changing the direction the amp faces. if your standing in front of your amp, the loudest part is blasting below your ears. you might try putting the amp on a table or stool, or leaning the cab to face up. we have used sheets of cardboard as a sound cushion to improve our recording mix.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
....try changing the direction the amp faces.

+1, tilting it upwards give you a different sound.

Adjust your EQ, try cutting the mids a bit then adjust the volume. In theory this should give you more control over the volume level? (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

People underestimate the value of mids when it comes to cutting through the mix...

Boost em and see what happens.
Quote by LordBishek
Vibrators, Schmibrators. They can't ignore my girth.
What genre are you playing anyway? If you're playing metal, and following the guitars, you'll always have a tough time hearing yourself because it all blends in so well. A common thing for bass in metal is to add to the heaviness of the low notes. Try listening to the guitarists without you, then add yourself in and see that there's a much fuller, rounder and heavier sound with the bass.

Another thing is to listen to Machine Head's 'Halo'. At the start there's the bass playing the main riff, but when the guitars come in the bass blends in and makes it heavy (as if Drop Cb (microtone) isn't heavy enough). Just gives you some perspective on what a metal bassist commonly does. (Obviously there are those that play differently, this is just a common thing to do).

However, if you're playing rock, or blues, or whatever else, you really should just boost your mids. They give you a lot more presence than lows and highs ever can. Obviously in these genres, the bass follows the guitar less and provides a whole different level of texture, so it should be heard well.
On Emma Watson:

Quote by rabidguitarist
You should call her a filthy mudblood while you're fucking her.
Rick (83lps) does have one of the best ideas. And if you can't hear yourself, the drummer probably can't either. Not to sound like a rhythm section elitist here, but frankly I'd worry more about the drummer hearing me than the guitarists. If you don't lock with the drummer and you play to each other, its going to sound off. Place your amp near the drummer and at an angle where you both can hear it.