I'm looking to get a new tube amp just for practice and playing with friends for fun. im willing to go used and want to get a great classic/ hard rock tone. budget is about $350. Ive been looking at a peavey classic 30, marshall jtm 30 (heard one and the cleans sounded awesome and overdrive wasnt bad either), and vox ac15. im open to other suggestions. im just looking for the right amp with the right sound
Quote by r4ster
Pedalboard wood alters the tone

To each his own

Gear-
'06 Gibson Les Paul Standard Vintage Sunburst
Bugera V22
Fulltone OCD
Dunlop Crybaby w/ Fasel
Many people would recommend something from the Crate Palomino series. If you're just playing with some friends, a V16 is a great amp for what you're playing. However, I've heard only better things about the V32. You could definitely get a V32 for under $350 on craigslist. Crate discontinued them a few years back.

Trick is, there are two categories of the Palomino series: the USA ones and the Vietnam ones. The Vietnam ones seem to have more problems than the American counterparts.
you wont find anything too great for 350 unless you get really lucky with a used one. you should save up a bit more before you just spend it imo.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
NOS blues jr's are great for classic rock IMO. Ive heard great things about Classic 30's but have never actually seen one in a store...Bugera has a V22 combo and a V55 Head and combo coming out that are supposed to emulate a bassman...The V22 combo is going to go for $349 so you may want to look into that when it comes out. Vox AC15s have great jangle for classic rock but for anything harder I think you would be better suited with another amp

blues juniors (usually non-NOS blues juniors) go for under $350 regularly on craigslist in my area and the classic30 (if you can find one pop up on craigslist) will probably go for around that

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Crate v18-112 w/ Eminence Private Jack

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
Last edited by REV3LATI0N at Aug 5, 2009,
^Agreed, the NOS blues jr is a great amp...

What kind of classic rock and hard rock are you talking about? People can mean a lot of different things here, hard rock can mean a ton of different things. Hard rock in the Zeppelin mold is not nearly the same as hard rock in the mold of early Judas Priest or the Scorpions. And classic rock can mean anything along these lines to Chuck Berry to Clapton, ranging from the Bluesbreakers era all the way to solo Clapton, which all involved very different sounds.
alot of zeppelin, aerosmith, ac/dc, GNR, cream. good cleans, gritty crunch, and smooth overdrive is pretty much all i would ever want
Quote by r4ster

To each his own

Gear-
Bugera V22
Fulltone OCD
Dunlop Crybaby w/ Fasel
I got lucky with a USA Palomino v32 for 350 dollars used at Guitar Center. They are great classic rock and blues amps, and with pedals can easily do metal/thrash metal.
Quote by th0rzh4mm3r
alot of zeppelin, aerosmith, ac/dc, GNR, cream. good cleans, gritty crunch, and smooth overdrive is pretty much all i would ever want
you would like the AC15 for those
Are discontinued Crate V series any good? there pretty cheap so im guessing maybe not but ive seen YT vids but the sound quality of the recording isnt always that great
Quote by r4ster

To each his own

Gear-
Bugera V22
Fulltone OCD
Dunlop Crybaby w/ Fasel
My profile has OD and Clean recordings. All I used for the OD one is a clean boost. The songs are the 2 "improv" ones. Check them out if you want to know what is sounds like.
Quote by th0rzh4mm3r
Are discontinued Crate V series any good? there pretty cheap so im guessing maybe not but ive seen YT vids but the sound quality of the recording isnt always that great

If by the V series you mean the Palomino V16, V32, etc., yes they are good; read my first post and the one by whitenihilist. Cheap =/= bad and expensive =/= good. The sound quality on those clips you see is more a testament to a poor camera rather than a poor amp. They're definitely well worth the little money you'll pay for them. They can get pretty clean, but for me, the best part is the when it begins to break up. It gets nice and fat.
Peavey C30> Crate V/Palomino IMO. TS the C30 would be great for you, it more than capable of all the styles you like, and they are very common and road worthy amp. They are built super tough and have near a 20 year track record of being awesome. Also look into the C50, a lot times they end up cheaper than the C30, and they are more versatile.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
The Classic 30 is definately a good buy...

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Quote by th0rzh4mm3r

You probably mean the non Palomino, so the V18, V33, and V50. These are great amps, and would do well for your genres, but the OD sucks. The overdrive channel is just dull and not anywhere near 'smooth overdrive' which you want. But pedals on the clean channel works great, that's what I did when I had the V33.

Side Note: I sold my V33 to a pawn shop for $100 a few months back, because I needed money that bad, and not the amp. Last night I 'found' it in my closet in a dream... I was sooooooo happy...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I have a V18 and stock they are not great at all. Not in the league of Blues Jrs, Ac15s, or C30s. I have experimented with tubes and just put in an eminence speaker and it has improved the sound alot. Theres only 1 channel on mine and the gain on tap is kind of weak (at least since I ditched one of the 12ax7's for a 12au7 tube). Clean sounds good now and I get most of my dirt from my pedals. I got it for a steal on closeout on MusiciansFriend for $149 last fall. I honestly wouldnt pay any more than that for one though. They are very boomy and muddy stock. The Reverb is crazy, anything past 2/10 on the reverb knob is overkill. If you are good at modding, there are a ton of mods out there for them

I have heard good things about Palominos, however

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Crate v18-112 w/ Eminence Private Jack

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
Last edited by REV3LATI0N at Aug 5, 2009,
Quote by REV3LATI0N
NOS blues jr's are great for classic rock IMO. Ive heard great things about Classic 30's but have never actually seen one in a store...Bugera has a V22 combo and a V55 Head and combo coming out that are supposed to emulate a bassman...The V22 combo is going to go for $349 so you may want to look into that when it comes out. Vox AC15s have great jangle for classic rock but for anything harder I think you would be better suited with another amp

blues juniors (usually non-NOS blues juniors) go for under $350 regularly on craigslist in my area and the classic30 (if you can find one pop up on craigslist) will probably go for around that

Ive been looking at the v22 it sounds pretty damn good for the price i may get that
Quote by r4ster

To each his own

Gear-
Bugera V22
Fulltone OCD
Dunlop Crybaby w/ Fasel
Quote by Johnbryant
Peavey C30> Crate V/Palomino IMO.

Old VC crates pwn all the amps you listed imo.
I really don't like the C30, tube rattle, cap noise, crappy stock speaker but most budget tube amps have that issue. All due respect johnny, I know you like the PV's and it's all cool. I just think the VC amps wipe the floor with the classic 30. I had a delta blues for some time and an older crate vc.

TS - find a VC3112t, comes with a tone tubby speaker, friggin tone machine. Also +1 on the AC15.
Quote by gregs1020
I just think the VC amps wipe the floor with the classic 30.
I have to disagree. My VC20 doesn't have hardly any clean headroom. If I wanted a amp with great sounding dirt but lacks cleans I would go with the VC. But if I want an amp with clean headroom that I can run pedals though I would choose the C30. I just sold my C30 because it was ousted by the Ampeg. But I couldn't replace the C30 with my VC.

But the VC is a cool amp. .I can use it without pedals. I don't care much for the dirt on the C30, so it needs pedals.
Quote by fly135
I have to disagree. My VC20 doesn't have hardly any clean headroom. .

Try a VC3112 or VC3112t which were my recommendations. The 30 wattrs have some headroom, the 15 wattr's don't really which is what we have/had.
i heard a video on youtube and fell in love with the V3112t is really warm and clean, it may need a little push to get to metal territory but the od isnt bad and it just sounds all round good and not sure about your area but look into the Bugera v55, just came out and sounds bloody amazing. Super rich thick low end cleans and awesome od, but its 450 usd
~Defiant~
Quote by Johnbryant
Peavey C30> Crate V/Palomino IMO. TS the C30 would be great for you, it more than capable of all the styles you like, and they are very common and road worthy amp. They are built super tough and have near a 20 year track record of being awesome. Also look into the C50, a lot times they end up cheaper than the C30, and they are more versatile.

I'd say crate vintage club>palomino>classic 30>v-series.

It's all preference, you could find any of those, along with a blues jr or even a traynor ycv blue for that price if you look hard enough

Quote by fudge-conor
would the ac15 be as loud as a vt50 or vt100?

Probably not, but possibly. It will be loud, but probably not very clean
Last edited by pak1351 at Aug 11, 2009,