Page 1 of 2
So my birthday is approaching and am looking into a new amp, i play a lot of Hardcore Punk and Metal.

I plan on starting a Hardcore Punk band so it would need to be gig worthy.

I'd like a 2x12 combo, able to reach HI-GAIN!!! and With a Budget of about <$850-900**AUD**

Thank you!
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Sovtek Mig and 2x12 with Celestion Vintage 30's but I doubt the mig since you live in Aus
Peavey VTM
Marshall 8412
Fender 4x12 loaded with t75's
Epiphone LP-100
Fender Stratocaster Highway one
Combo Not half stack, thanks though
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
If you are in Oz, Bugera is probsbly the way to go. Look into their 6260 or 6262 combo.
There must be other stuff rather then Bugera.. right? Not saying they're bad just want more options
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
There much greater options out there if you look second hand.
You can find some used marshall combo's for about $900-$1000 and there are a few other brands that offer combos in that price range.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Could that handle music like, Periphery, Gojira n stuff?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
sorry for double, just need help on this
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Peavey 5150 or 6505 combo? Those should have more gain than you most people an handle.

And one of my friends has a bugera combo (think it's the 333XL) and that can go pretty damn hard.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Way outta my price range, would a jcm800 or 900 be good?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
The JCM900 is ideal, as is the 800. Which one you opt for is entirely up to you. The 800 is more commonly used as a Hardcore amp due to it's rough-'n'-ready tone, but that's not to say the more compressed and bassy sound of the 900 wouldn't also suit.
I'm not sure I would recommend them in combo version, though. I haven't tried them so I can't comment. But I have heard a few lacklustre comments on their behalf.

The Randall RG-50 TC is also something to look into.
The Randall's 1x12 is fine. It's 50 watts of all-valve power, there should be no reason why it won't be loud enough for jamming and smaller gigs. The only problem I would see with it, is it's actually quite a dark tone. It's not for everyone.

The JCM900 would need an overdrive/distortion pedal to reach Gojira levels of gain, yes. But it should be fine for Hardcore Punk like Minor Threat (80's old school shit) or Comeback Kid (modern, softer shit) or Gorilla Biscuits (the more 70's shit)
Hmmm Bugera might be the only way then
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
They are great amps for the money, but be aware, they have been known to break down. Some say the issues have been resolved, but some say otherwise. Try and buy from a solid source you trust, so that if anything does happen, you are guaranteed a repair or replacement.
My step-dads an electrician so he could fix it if it broke down right?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Not necessarily. I don't know the specifics as to what went wrong with their equipment - it could be any number of things. But as I said, warranty covers these sort of problems. Some don't trust that, though.
Don't get me wrong, the amp is not promised to break down, but has happened a little too regularly for some than desired. You are paying less, after all.
Bugera 6262/6260 combo
a used JCM 900 combo( i have the 900 Sl-X 2100 head and it can due punk VERY well)
a used 5150 combo
Mesa F series amps

im a punker as well and all this amps above can do the hardcore plus some
i have a few of this amps..check out my sig man
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Quote by TheLastSerenade
is the bugera 333xl combo all tube?

Yep. the whole Bugera line is tube minus one of the bass heads they make

the 333XL had 4 El34 tubes for power and 4 12ax7s for the front end(preamp)
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
I don't wanna just play hardcore punk, i wanna play more heavier stuff like Gojira type heavy.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
you're really limiting yourself by only going after a combo. if you go used and mix-n-match a cab and head it can be cheaper

but things in aus are twice as expensive, right?

a bugera 6260 is most likely your best bet for a combo in your price range that can do hi gain
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Buying a Head + Cab = 10x more expensive
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
You are asking a little too much I think. Bugeras are actually pretty solid nowadays. The fact that they are a new, highly anticipated company is why allthese horror stories are so public. It happens with any low cost amp sometimes.
What the hell? How am i asking too much?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
^.^
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
go for the BUgera 6262 212 combo man. 120 watts of tube power. 4 6l6gcs for power and 6 12ax7 preamp tubes. can do anything from clean jazz to full out metal with gain left over

can always add a 2x12 cab to connect to the combo later on down the road if need be
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Quote by bucketmark
Buying a Head + Cab = 10x more expensive

...buying used is your friend
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Our prices are still crazy high even used
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by HouseBoy83
go for the BUgera 6262 212 combo man. 120 watts of tube power. 4 6l6gcs for power and 6 12ax7 preamp tubes. can do anything from clean jazz to full out metal with gain left over

can always add a 2x12 cab to connect to the combo later on down the road if need be

+1, later on you can throw in KT77's and replace the speakers if you find any part of your tone lacking. I love my 6260 and it can play anything I throw at it.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
How's it sound at bedroom volume?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Your ideal setup for hardcore punk would be a cheap JCM 800 clone (Peavey VTM or Butcher, Laney AOR), an SG/Les Paul, and a Rat in front of it.

Of course, I have absolutely no idea what your prices are down under, nor the price conversion. But I know you could get all of that for under $1000 which is pretty punx.
I'm not limiting myself to hardcore punk though, it's just my preferred music. I'd like the amp to reach craziness like Gojira.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
What hardcore do you listen to? Just curious.

And if you get a JCM 800 clone w/ overdrive you could most likely hit Gojira gainwise. The VTMs are hotrodded JCM 800 clones, so along with an overdrive you could definitely get it.
Minor Threat, Final Attack, MadBall, Extortion, H2O, Dangers..etc

Would a Marshall JCM really give me that tight tone of Gojira? Also i wouldn't be able to find a JCM combo that cheap, so looks like my only option is Bugera.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Last edited by bucketmark at Aug 7, 2009,
bump..........
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
You are pretty much looking for two opposite tones. Hardcore punk is very high mids and loose tone, while Gojira is more bass and is very tight.

I already said, a VTM + Bad Monkey would probably get you those tones. I also suggest an EQ pedal.
Doubt i can find a VTM in Australia.. Would a Bugera 6260 be able to produce those tones?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Page 1 of 2