Hi all

Im looking at upgrading my squier strat and buying some nice pick ups to put in!

Any recommendations on what pick ups i should get? I want something that will be good for the ROCK genre!

Thanks
What's your budget? (If you want to go cheap, look at Guitar Fetish)

And rock is a pretty wide genre.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
No budget as such, dont wanna pay through the roof obviously but middle of the range to top would be good!

I know rock is a wide genre, basically just want great sounding pick ups. My band plays a range of stuff at this stage, i.e Blink, Senses Fail, The Used, Pink etc, so more suited to anything really haha
I just want a nice warm clean tone, and a punchy tone that grabs you with distortion
You do realize that the pickups will end up being more valuable than the guitar, which is not really worth modifying in the first place anyways.
is your Squier an SSS or an SSH? that'll make a huge difference. also it depends on the amp your using which pick-ups are gonna be suitable or really make a difference
Quote by IROn 5L1nKY
You do realize that the pickups will end up being more valuable than the guitar, which is not really worth modifying in the first place anyways.
Well if it is an Affinity, the body and the neck are quite good (imo). However the tuners, bridge, pots, etc. are not exactly the best.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Im basically rebuilding the guitar, buying new hardware (tuners, bridge etc), im keeping the body (Respraying it) and more than likely buying a new neck. I know you'd think why not just buy a new fender, but its something i wanna do, fill in my spare time.

Currently i have a randall RH100 Head, running through a Quad with for Eminence speakers, but upgrading to a Mesa soon hopefully!
The neck is usually the best thing about a Squier, change the nut and tuners though definately. I would keep the neck.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
I'd go with some Gold Lace Sensors. They're humbucking single-coils, which is good because you seem to play some music with a fair amount of distortion, and the tone is quite good considering that they're not true single-coils.

However, I would agree with a few of the others in the forum. I'd save some money, and buy a better guitar to put the pickups in. I don't think you'll live to regret it.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Quote by mcrfobtai
I have a Pro Junior.
Almost the same thing. Sort of.

But I do love BJ's. Great amps.
Everyone likes BJ's.

EVERYONE!!!!
Thanks !
I know i should, but its something ive wanted to do for a long time! I'm buying a Fender Tele also so this is just something fun, and if it doesnt sound how i want i will just build my own guitar from scratch, so basically just want to give it a go!

Do you have any more info on the Gold Lace Sensors?
Haven't got time for a long post but here goes. A Red, Silver, and Blue combo would be best for you. Alot better for rock. I have that and the red in the bridge is great with distortion. The blue in the neck is really warm, but still retains some strat character. They're all nice clean and all nice distorted. My strat is my favourite stage guitar because it is so versatile. However, it isn't my favourite studio guitar because the clean tone lacks a bit of sparkle that regular pickups have. But for rock with decent cleans, they're great!

Lastly, they are not humbuckers! Read up on it whoever said it!. Lace themselves have some diagrams on their website

Oh and they look really awesome
Hope this helps
Last edited by supergerbil at Aug 5, 2009,
Quote by IROn 5L1nKY
Shut.
Up.

I own a Fender MiM.
I've played a few Squiers. The one's I've played were quite nice, thank you.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Thanks heaps good! I really appreciate it!

And my squire was a great guitar to play too lol the pick ups were jsut not the best :P