Hi!

I wanna buy a new amp, but I can't afford to spend thousands of dollars ( or euros in my case ) right now. I already have an Ashdown practice amp (5 Fifteen) and really like it. But this amp doesn't give me enough power, it's OK at home but when rehearsing I play straight through the PA. Within a couple of weeks we start gigging and by then I want some power behind me on stage and not just via the PA and monitors.

I was looking at the combination of an Ashdown MAG 300 head and the MAG 410 cabinet.
Does anyone have experience with this.

Also a technical question. The head has an output of 307 watt at 4ohms and the cabinet has an output of 450 watt at 8ohm. How many watt will the real output be when combining this head and cabinet?

Thx
i don't think you're quite understanding it, 307W is the power output of the amp. 450W is the power handling of the cab, ie how much it is safe to use without blowing it. I'm pretty sure the 410 cab is 4 ohms, so you'll get the full power going through it.

A lot of people don't like ashdown rigs because they say they sound wooly, but i have an electrib blue head and MAG 210 and 115 cabs, and EQ'd right they sound good, not amazing but they didn't cost a lot, it's a good beginner rig. Have fun with yours!
Quote by budget bassist
i don't think you're quite understanding it, 307W is the power output of the amp. 450W is the power handling of the cab, ie how much it is safe to use without blowing it. I'm pretty sure the 410 cab is 4 ohms, so you'll get the full power going through it.

The cab is 8 ohms, unless the back of mine detailing the tech specs is horribly wrong.
450 watts should be the thermal rating of the cab, so it should be able to handle alot more than 450watts, but ashdown does skip abit with their cabs.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by BassRookie
Hi!

I wanna buy a new amp, but I can't afford to spend thousands of dollars ( or euros in my case ) right now. I already have an Ashdown practice amp (5 Fifteen) and really like it. But this amp doesn't give me enough power, it's OK at home but when rehearsing I play straight through the PA. Within a couple of weeks we start gigging and by then I want some power behind me on stage and not just via the PA and monitors.

I was looking at the combination of an Ashdown MAG 300 head and the MAG 410 cabinet.
Does anyone have experience with this.

Also a technical question. The head has an output of 307 watt at 4ohms and the cabinet has an output of 450 watt at 8ohm. How many watt will the real output be when combining this head and cabinet?

Thx

Have the MAG300H + MAG410T rig. Best thing for the money. It's so good, that I'm even concidering to go Ashdown Klystron with the next installment of my rig.
Abot the MAG:
At 1/2 of the volume, the sound engineers at our school go "Hey you, the bassist, turn it down for gods sake. The PA can't top that.". The tone is superb. Doesn't distort much at max power. I use it at home and in gigs. At rehearsals we have the MAG300 2x10" combo, but the 4x10" is necesery to properly gig, IMO. Also, if you buy this, you can also extend your rig with an aditional cab to get the full 307w. I'm thinking of 4x10" + 2x10" for portability.
Quote by budget bassist

A lot of people don't like ashdown rigs because they say they sound wooly, but i have an electrib blue head and MAG 210 and 115 cabs, and EQ'd right they sound good, not amazing but they didn't cost a lot, it's a good beginner rig. Have fun with yours!

Don't listen to him, in layman terms, your cab cuts it's output by approximately half when your only running 1 cab, 2 cabs and you get the full 300.

Personally i love ashdown but the quality control is rumoured to be not the best. Not as in **** but there are apparently many cases of power fuses etc burning out. Most of which are very cheap DIY fixit jobs.
Quote by Bass First
Don't listen to him, in layman terms, your cab cuts it's output by approximately half when your only running 1 cab, 2 cabs and you get the full 300.

Personally i love ashdown but the quality control is rumoured to be not the best. Not as in **** but there are apparently many cases of power fuses etc burning out. Most of which are very cheap DIY fixit jobs.

why not? what he said is quite correct..
Don't wanna hijack this thread, but would you guys recommend the Ashdown Perfect Ten as ''the perfect practice'' amp? I.e decent tone?
My Gear:

Guitars:
Ibanez RG 7 EXFX (27'' scale, 2x EMG 707)

Amp:
Mesa/Boogie Studio .20 Caliber

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
Nope, i think there fairly crap to be honest.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Except the bit about the cab being 4 ohms.

the cab is available in both 8 and 4 ohms.
what is interesting is that the 15" mag cabs are better than the abm 15" cabs, in terms of efficiency and frequency response.
But you can buy it in both 4 and 8 ohms.

Frankly, Ashdown cabs are a bit of a joke, as they've cut so many corners, and all i can saw is defiantly do not buy those ashdown mini 15 cabs.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
to bad you aren't in canada. I have the exact rig you are looking for, for sale at $500(CDN).
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Quote by epy
to bad you aren't in canada. I have the exact rig you are looking for, for sale at $500(CDN).

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-Ashdown-MAG-300-Head-and-Ashdown-MAG-4x10-Cabinet-W0QQAdIdZ146459248

ça? I'm trying to convince my family to buy me that for my birthday ^^
Quote by Canadian_basser

LOL HEY THERE'S MY AD!
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Quote by Bass First

sorry? just because i misquoted the impedance of the cab because i didn't bother to look it up means everything i said was wrong?

Quote by JaeSwift
Don't wanna hijack this thread, but would you guys recommend the Ashdown Perfect Ten as ''the perfect practice'' amp? I.e decent tone?

i have one, it's alright... but then i only paid £50 for it, i wouldn't pay more than that. it's just alright

also i find the MAG 115 cab lacks definition used on it's own. It has a fair bit of low end, but can sound a bit muddy, so i use it with a 210. Although i'm getting rid of the 115 soon for another 210 i hope. I really don't like it.
Last edited by budget bassist at Aug 5, 2009,
Quote by budget bassist
sorry? just because i misquoted the impedance of the cab because i didn't bother to look it up means everything i said was wrong?

Ah ****, sorry, i thought you were trying to say that the head would push the full 300 watts through 1 cab and then someone would turn their mag all the way up and blow a fuse. + i didn't read the bottom part

And i agree that ashdown cuts too many corners.
lol i like my ashdown gear, they might cut corners, but it IS pretty cheap, my whole stack only cost me £250 used. About a year later the head blew up though... but nevermind, like i say, it was cheap. Working in replacing it now anyway. Shame because it was a british made one too.
Thx for all the replies!

I've mailed Ashdown and they confirm what's already mentioned in this thread. The mag 410T will only produce a little more than 200 watt when used with the MAG 300 head, because of the 8 ohm - 4 ohm issue. When connecting a second cabinet the head will deliver a total of 307 watt for the 2 cabinets combined.
Fender: Aerodyne Precision Bass
Squier: Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

BOSS: TU-2
BOSS: ODB-3
Jim Dunlop: Bass Wah Wah
Electro Harmonix: The Mole
Electro Harmonix: Bass Big Muff
Behringer: Bass Limiter Enchancer

Hartke: Kickback 12