I think this thread belongs here if not ill move it.

okay this is my basic idea...
Start him with string notes,how to tune then a simple song and a major scale exercise to get his fingers loosened up.
Then basic Chords and...well that is where my teaching falls apart.
has anyone have a better way for me to do this?
I dont want to fail the kid an myself
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
show him how to play songs he already knows... dont spend so much time teaching him chords and scales first, he probably doesnt care about that stuff. just show him how to play a damn song, itll make him want to play and learn more.
well try with just teaching him theory if he wants to learn then what the frets are and stuff and like scales then after those teach him an easy song without chords and then teach him open chords and power chords and barre chords then teach him the other scales like pentatonic scale and so on so he can solo and then teach him more advanced stuff sorry if this didnt help ive never taught anyone myself but i took guitar theory in school and they started with theory and chords and scales then because i already knew a lot about guitars i took it up to myself yet again to learn more stuff on my own since the class helped but not a lot
Guitars

Dean Soltero USA
Gibson 2014 Les Paul Jr.
Epiphone Prophecy SG (GX? Red with Dirty Fingers?)
teach him a song, if they get the confidence to learn it, they'll want to do more and you can then teach him chords/scales etc whatever he wants to do to learn more songs easier. teach him a song he'll like so he wont get to stressed at guitar that he cant play anything.
Quote by jwax
I think this thread belongs here if not ill move it.

okay this is my basic idea...
Start him with string notes,how to tune then a simple song and a major scale exercise to get his fingers loosened up.
Then basic Chords and...well that is where my teaching falls apart.
has anyone have a better way for me to do this?
I dont want to fail the kid an myself

To be honest that's a month or two's work straight away.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I taught my friend the intro riff to "Crazy Train". He plays it really badly but he's really happy with how well he's come on with it, so he's now saving up for an Epiphone SG. Teaching people songs they know will encourage them to play more.
Make sure he knows all the parts of the guitar and is holding it correctly. That and the pick, when I started out I was holding the pick incorrectly and it became habit. It was tough but necessary to change that.

I definitely agree with the other advice, teach him a song he likes that isn't too hard, maybe a few riffs, to get him motivated, and then do some theory in the middle as filler.
Definitely get him to learn a simple song that he likes. Then explain the basics behind it - for example, the major scale providing the basis for a major chord and so on.
Quote by The Red Comet
Make sure he knows all the parts of the guitar and is holding it correctly. That and the pick, when I started out I was holding the pick incorrectly and it became habit. It was tough but necessary to change that.

I definitely agree with the other advice, teach him a song he likes that isn't too hard, maybe a few riffs, to get him motivated, and then do some theory in the middle as filler.

That's why I don't use them.

try recomending a teacher for him, so that you don't have that person's future on your back. Being a teacher will put lots of stress on you(I don't know how my teacher could keep sain with one kid in his group who played with his fingers, played jazzy blues, and had a semi-hollow. Seeing a group of squire stratocasters and epiphone les pauls all playing a pick, doesn't seem to fit in with one semi-hollow without a pick, who can improvise, and remember the stuff he taught. I never got to learn how to read sheet music because I just remembered everything, and he got kinda pissed at that.)

I don't recomend teaching people if your in high school or something like that, becuase it will take your focus off school, and that never leads to a good place.

...totally different story if he's willing to pay you weekly tho
I got an article on UG that covers a lot of stuff that might be relevant here such as

How good a guitar player do you need to be to teach?

What should/could you teach first?

traps to avoid falling into (such as the F chord!)

If you'd like to have a look at it the link is as follows........

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/teaching_guitar_for_money_how_good_do_you_need_to_be.html

good luck with the teaching!
Last edited by beardsley at Aug 11, 2009,
I think you should start with some simple songs so that he doesn't get frustrated and tired of it from learning a bunch of theory and stuff. be sure to show him how to hold the pick correctly and the correct way to hold the guitar, and then teach him a few songs using open position chords, then start teaching the major scale and such.